What model or year for the DPF's?

Spiezels

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up old ***** as I know from searching this has been covered in some way or another but I can't find a solid answer.

How can I check it my A3 has a DPF?

08 plate 2.0TDI S-Line...

Did they come in after a certain year?

Nice one chaps!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but all the common rail engines have DPF.

For the PD engines, if it has straight exhaust pipes (170BHP engine) then it has a DPF and if the exhaust pipes are pointing downwards then it doesn't (140BHP engine).

That answers that then. Thanks fellas.

I can't see anywhere on the dash the little DPF icon that would tell you the ****** is clogged.

I live in London so much of my driving is short distance (bar weekends) how can I look out for warning signs it's about to be clogged?

You can't. If you aren't doing at least 15,000 miles per year then the only reason you would buy a diesel is because you want one (like me) knowing that it will be more expensive to run overall than a petrol engine.

If that is the case, then like me, take the car for a weekly motorway run of 20-40 minutes at least to help clear the DPF.

Oh, the only warning sign you may get is if your car is DSG (like mine) then when the DPF starts to get clogged you'll notice idle revs will be higher than normal and it will change gear at higher revs (almost like it is in Sport mode) in an effort to raise exhaust gas temperatures and regenerate the DPF.

If you are keeping your car for a few years then it is worth investing in VCDS which @NHN can supply you with. VCDS is the computer system you can use to log on to the car, check the soot level in the DPF as well as do a standing or moving forced regeneration to keep the soot levels down.

Another alternative is to have the DPF removed, gutted and refitted to the car. You will need a remap to go along with this operation to code the DPF out of the car. @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. offers this service.

I'm like you as I wanted the diesel (mainly so I could have the higher spec, bigger engine but keep insurance down) so DPF clogging is a concern as my mileage will be low. I will take it for a motorway journey every week then to try keep on top of it.

A remap unfortunately is going to add a fair whack to my policy so that won't come until I have a year under my belt I'd say. (0 no claims)

Excuse my complete ignorance but DSG? I'm a complete Audi new boy here so know very little.

Will look into the VCDS. Thanks for all the info mate, very helpful.

Some 140's do have DPF's and also have straight pipes. 140CR engine 8P3 facelift has a DPF. The 140PD engine 8P2 model pre- facelift does NOT have a DPF. Also some 2.0TDI's have a single exhaust pipe too instead of the twin tips so its a lottery.

7GG is the code for the DPF option that should be shown in the front of the handbook and elsewhere
7GG=emissions concept EU 4 with particulate filter

Reactions: Sayam
Thanks @Brodster will have a look. Mine has twin exhausts, curved to the floor. Is an 08 plate so assume pre facelift. (No LED rears)

So maybe I don't have a DPF.

Sounds like you don't have a DPF but use Brodster's guide to make sure.

To be fair even if you don't have a DPF a diesel doing loads of town driving will get choked up so that weekly or fortnightly motorway run won't hurt :)

Just seen 0GG on the original dealer stamp in the service book.

Thanks fellas.

No need for a remap, they can just add a software patch if DPF is removed (box still retained)