creaking noise! help!

ravi

Reaction score
Hi people,
I’m hoping someone can help. Over the last month I’m getting a creaking noise (old joint maybe??) from the underneath of the car, not too sure if it's coming from the front or rear, it happens every time I go over speed bumps and now occurs on roads with a slight dip.

Local mechanic has checked it out today and everything underneath seems solid, they cannot make out where the noise is coming from. The front shocks and wishbone mounts were changed 6 months ago.

Don't know where to go from here; has anyone had a similar problem?

Could it be the anti-roll bar bushes?

Help is appreciated

cheers
rav
s3 2000 (w)

Could it be the anti-roll bar bushes?

Yeah its probably that, i m having mine replaced this weekend. Next time your driving & you come accross uneven surfaces your ll here the creak before you feel the bump in the road & this will indicate the front ARB for the rear is vice versa. Your ll probably find its the bushing & will most probably have a few months life left in it.

Matt

Ahh, an old favourite..... ARB and bushes sound like a good bet. I had the exact same thing about a year ago.......

Dealer replaced the rear ARB and bushes, and it has been fine ever since.

can this be done under warranty as Im having this problem too?

cheers guys,

what should i change then the front arb and bushes or just the bushes (leave the ARB) or the rear bushes?

You need to have a closer look, the problem normally starts with rust on the ARB through the bush which is a pain, the rear is a lot less hassle to sort than the front if it is the ARB however sometimes it can also be something as simple as the drop links or any of the other major suspension joints at the rear (normally creaking from front I'd say it's the ARB as most other things won't creak). If you get some spray lubricant that's safe on rubber you can have a go at sorting it yourself and take the wheels off one at a time and spray the visible rubber joints and bushes!

cheers for help guys, i changed the front arb bushes and the creaking sound has gone.

Not all good news as i can hear and feel movement on the front wheels through the tyres and steering wheel.

What could the problem be now - bearings/Actual ARB??

help is appreciated.
cheers

I'd start by checking the track rods / ends for play, then the other suspension joints (ball joints etc), then the suspension bushes (wishbone / strut tops) then you've got the droplink to the ARB but they shouldn't directly effect steering feel then you're left with the steering rack itself - which is what the problem was on my car.

thanks mate.

i can hear the slight noise now after driving today, getting worse - i can't feel the movement through the steering wheel only through the excelerator.

I'm to going to the mechanics tomo to check everything out. Greif!!
rav