which brake pads?

Compkiler

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for new brake pads for the front as just had MoT done and that was the only advisory!
I've been recommended EBC pads?

Anyone recommend them?

I found those things squealed like pigs and added nothing.
Some like them though.

The Ferodo DS2500 is ok for road use and there are others that will be recommended.
I'm using Mintex 1155s now

Reactions: S3 AEX
If you don't spend the money on good pads your front bumper maketh love to rudely braking car in front .

Reactions: S3Alex and Compkiler
Yet they are the RS3's anti squeal solution.

Brake pads are like Marmite.

One will love them and another will hate them.

Personally I hated them.

It depends on what version you had , DS2500 as far as I'm aware haven't changed their formulation .

Where as EBC has changed theirs more than some people change their Y- fronts.

Greenstuff has had several revisions .

Redstuffs early versions were truly shocking.

Reactions: S3Alex
It depends on what version you had , DS2500 as far as I'm aware haven't changed their formulation .

Where as EBC has changed theirs more than some people change their Y- fronts.

Greenstuff has had several revisions .

Redstuffs early versions were truly shocking.

I tried them a few yrs ago before getting a proper brake kit so it was only ever a stopgap and then settled on the 1155s after DS2500s

In a short space of time I tried DS2500, then Yellowstuff and found happiness with the Redstuff.

In a short space of time I tried DS2500, then Yellowstuff and found happiness with the Redstuff.
It has to be something that works for you and your car.
The different feel of various brake and pad combinations is so varied that mostly we can all find something we like.

I'm sure some wouldn't get on with the feel of mine for instance and personality I'd still like a more aggressive feel.

What was the difference between the red stuff then and the yellow mate?

Nothing much when pressing on , found better cold bite with reds and love their low dusting of the alloys .

Are the Mintex 1155 R90 approved Al ?
Now there's a good question

Some sites say yes and some not.
Likewise with DS2500s

The R90 approval requires the pads to fall within 15% of the OEM pads so if they're better then technically they may not meet that.

Like you said aggressive .

Remember Bro having some Mintex C Tech on a Mk 3 Astra GSI , low dust and did him proud on a 1 and only outing round Combe whereas a mates oe pads gave up after 2 laps .

Like you said aggressive .

Remember Bro having some Mintex C Tech on a Mk 3 Astra GSI , low dust and did him proud on a 1 and only outing round Combe whereas a mates oe pads gave up after 2 laps .

Have to say the DS2500s I had before did exactly what DaveB said they would on a track day and self destructed after a few laps.

These are way better.

I wasted good money referbing stock 4 pot front cast iron calipers and single piston rears with DS2500 .

BIG brakes every time .

DS2500 = brown trousers and brown discs.

DSC00470 zpsdd516868

I wasted good money referbing 4 pot front cast iron calipers and single piston rears with DS2500 .

BIG brakes every time .

DS2500 = brown trousers and brown discs.

View attachment 51958

I recognise those discs.

All was ok for a few laps but a few good efforts from 120+mph killed the pads.

That's a VWR kit that's now been "modified" with AP rotors and the 1155s.
Total change in feel.

Hmmmm ok, out of interest where's the cheapest place to get the mintex then? :)