Boot trouble!

Gary-92

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 04 a3.

I opened the boot with the boot button on the key fob
once shopping was in it wouldn't let it stay closed as the mechanism was stuck in the open position.

I have took the panel of and removed the mechanism. It seems to be working as it should. Once put back together with the arm to the electrical solenoid it seems to be pulling the mechanism constanlty to the open position.

I presume that the soft touch handle is stuck or something. Any one any ideas? Thanks

Any one, in the garage just now. And have no Ideas

Try this. Shut all car doors. Lock the car using the key fob. See if this operates the boot lock too. Also, do you get a boot open warning on the dash?

Tried that mate and yeah boot open on dash. I can open it using the emergeny handle inside just not the electrixs?

With the boot closed the dis is fine and saying the boot is closed but it won't open unless I do it manually with the handle ?

If I try and unlock it with the key fob or handle you can hear a very faint double click?

Gary, all I can think of at the moment is to give it a good squirt of WD40. Hoping that the problem is friction in the locking mechanism.preventing the jaws to close over the latch. Good luck.

I have spray the mechanism and had it out the car it's working and is catchinf and releasing as should when out the car.. It's just not pulling to realease when fitted. Like the electrics ain't working to pull the arm over!

OK. What I would do next would be to just see if there is power getting to the lock motor. On a three-door, there is a Grey/Red wire going to pin 2 of the motor. On a 5-door, this Grey/Red wire goes to pin 3 of the combined motor/tailgate ajar switch. So for a 3-door it is a two-pin connector, and on the 5-door it is a 3-pin connector. Hope this helps a bit. Clearly if there is power, the latch motor has failed. Otherwise, beg, borrow, buy, or steal another mechanism and try that. Just had another thought. On pin 1 (3-door) and pin 1 (5-door) there should be a brown wire. This wire should go to chassis (ground). If there is a faulty ground connection, the latch will not function correctly.

Last edited:
Ok thanks mate.. I have a 3 door so it'll be a 2 pin. I will investogate tomorrow thanks will report back