Help please guys

S10 AUD

Reaction score
I've fitted a new engine. Not a mechanic but not scared to try things. So thought if it's out why not replace the clutch. Did so and put it all back started car would not select any gears. Took the engine out again as thought it was easier checked everything was all good then was told by a friend to replace the slave cylinder so did. Got it all back together but still the same problem. Can anyone help me I miss my a4

Thanks in advance

When you start the car does the clutch operate, does it feel like it's disconnecting the engine from the gearbox?

When you start the car does the clutch operate, does it feel like it's disconnecting the engine from the gearbox?
The car will not go in gear with the engine running will change with engine off. If you start it in gear it jumps forward forward.

Do you feel the clutch is operating, what does it feel like when you press the clutch pedal down?

Did you put the clutch in the right way round? Gebiestrisen means gear box side in German this should be written on the clutch drive plate.

I bought the clutch from eurocarparts for my engine code. Ive pressure bled the system. The clutch is the right way round and it was a three piece kit im loosing my mind here I don't want to take the engine back out and I live no where near any garages lol

Are you sure the rod from the slave to the clutch release bearing arm is the right length ?

Or is the slave inside the box bolted on and pushes direct to the PP

Last edited:
I bought a new slave and fitted it tonight I tried to make it longer following a4mods way but the slave wouldnt fit back in to the bell housing

where abouts are u located, meaby some one could come an have a butchers for you?

oh and you definatly got the fork on the bearing correctly?

I bought a new slave and fitted it tonight I tried to make it longer following a4mods way but the slave wouldnt fit back in to the bell housing

Did you have the bleed nipple open when trying to put slave in bell housing ?

where abouts are u located, meaby some one could come an have a butchers for you?

oh and you definatly got the fork on the bearing correctly?

Im in West Scotland dont think anyone is near me

If you fit a longer rod to the slave and then try and fit the slave , the rod HAS to move back into slave and it cant if bleed nipple is closed, can you post a pic of the old slave ?

If you fit a longer rod to the slave and then try and fit the slave , the rod HAS to move back into slave and it cant if bleed nipple is closed, can you post a pic of the old slave ?
I dont have the old slave anymore as I snapped the silly plastic bleed nipple. The new one is a sachs slave

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZHJDgFG8V7eTe6BR1CiHfFu!~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqZHJDgFG8V7eTe6BR1CiHfFu!~~60_35.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 94
Ok, fit the longer rod to your new slave and when you refit it undo the bleed nipple which will allow the rod to move back , once the slave is fitted then bleed.

Oh and do not push the clutch to the very bottom put something (block of wood) under the pedal ,about 1/2 to 1 "thick. if you go all the way to the floor you stand a good chance of wrecking the master seals.

Last edited:
Tried this but still nothing.. The clutch was fine before engine swap. A month and a half now and im still no further forward my a4 is looking sad and tired now not to mention me lol

Can you here the clutch arm moving when you press the clutch, get someone else to push the pedal slowly and you listen , you should here something moving from the bell housing.

Please post your engine code and cc etc and the clutch part number, ECP are not always right.

Avf 130 pd clutch was part no. 641441742
I think I can hear the fork move

Hmmm everything checks out inc slave
So it has to be that slave is not bled fully..

Or Master is weak.

One thing i used to do which worked sometimes was to push the clutch pedal down and jam it down with a bit of wood or proper adjuster bar and leave it overnight, sometimes air gets trapped and wont move keeping pressure on the clutch allnight forces it up and out.

Worth a try.

Ill keep trying to bleed and ill get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for all your help buddy