Avant auto boot opening

Mind your chin while opening, can imagine Avant owners being found knocked-out at the rear of their cars lol

Reactions: frankc and Chrismawa
i wander if those springs could be fitted on a new set of a4 struts? work the same way but less violent?

There is only one way to find out, someone will have to try it.

Thing is once they've aged a bit the opening motion will ease up. So you've got to think on that if standard A4 struts make it open nice and easy from new, they might fail to open it after so long.

yes thats my theory,i need to do something with mine as the right stut has somehow come loose on the body.

There is only one way to find out, someone will have to try it.

Thing is once they've aged a bit the opening motion will ease up. So you've got to think on that if standard A4 struts make it open nice and easy from new, they might fail to open it after so long.

I think we could try different lengths & strength of springs, maybe something longer but weaker would work better??

Reactions: DrStrange
Or even a shorter harder spring give it that edge,then let strut do the rest?
just thinking out loud

I think we could try different lengths & strength of springs, maybe something longer but weaker would work better??

Agreed. You could probably launch your shopping into space with that level tension. :D

Conveniently my struts had just gone so I replaced them with the ones for a C5 A6 today and have bought the spring etc to complete the rest of the mod.

The power behind the struts is ridiculous! I have to hang off the boot and wrestle it closed. Mrs has no chance!

Will by some normal B6 ones and hopefully install the spring to finish it off!

Reactions: barkclark
Conveniently my struts had just gone so I replaced them with the ones for a C5 A6 today and have bought the spring etc to complete the rest of the mod.

The power behind the struts is ridiculous! I have to hang off the boot and wrestle it closed. Mrs has no chance!

Will by some normal B6 ones and hopefully install the spring to finish it off!

Where did you get the springs, what size etc?

Bought the same springs as specified in the linked thread. Looked (not for very long) for shorter but decided I'd just cut to size.

Haven't even fitted the spring yet, the updated struts are too much IMO so am going to buy some less forceful ones and then fit it all.

Niceone!! keep us updated,i must sort mine out...has anyones top ball socket loose?

If you've tried tightening it and it's still loose it's a bit of a big job you've got on there.

There is a how to knocking about somewhere on how to sort it out.

Oh right common then. Only way see of doing it is cutting a access panel out and welding it back when sorted. Its not causing any harm at the min, just one of those things.

How about just replacing one strut with the A6 variant rather than both... that way it will be more powerful than standard but not quite as hard as with both A6 struts

I've got new A4 struts on the way as decided the A6 ones might be too much for my quite slight wife. If the A4 ones don't cut the mustard I'll go A6.

Oh right common then. Only way see of doing it is cutting a access panel out and welding it back when sorted. Its not causing any harm at the min, just one of those things.

I had same issue on mine, basically you have to drill out the old hole to accommodate a M8 rivnut.

Watching this thread for auto opening, that would be neat!

Reactions: Ro55
Ok, wee update - the new A4 struts weren't quite strong enough. At least not in the lower portion of the opening once the springs have fully extended.

The struts I bought had a gap of about 16mm in the shaft when the boot was fully closed meaning the spring (same as the ones linked by JMGR33N) was about 75% compressed. Added a couple more washers to fully compress them and they are springing the boot up nicely but the struts just haven't got the power to take over.

So, off to look for some A6 struts!

Frank

The new struts were a good replacement for my old worn originals, just not enough for launching shopping bags or the boot into inner orbit.