RS3 Caliper brackets for s3?

COSTA_P

Reaction score
Thirst of all, thanks for the help before! Last week i finally had the change to work on the brakes i had at home since november. As promised i hereby show you the work i have done on the RS3 brakes.

Together with information on this forum as well on other forums i decided to go for the RS3 brakes instead of the TTRS. Both are the same, the only diference is the depth of the disk. The RS3 version falls back deeper then the TTRS version. To fit the TTRS ones i had to put on some spaces to fit my wheels. Whit the RS3 version i had to fill out the disk with a spacer or make a custom bracket for the caliper. The last option would be the most of work but then i woundt have to work with the spacers. Also this would give me some more space if i ever want to fit another set of wheels.

I finally decided to go for the last option as you can see in the pictures below:

Difference in disk RS3/TTRS (on the left side the RS3 disk, right side the TT-RS version)
IMG_6359.JPG

The set when i just bought them:
IMG_5185.JPG

I started by making up the disks. They looked a little bit rough.

Before:
IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6053.JPG

Painted:
IMG_6054.JPG

Result:
IMG_6081.JPG

Now for the hard part we had to make some brackets. In order to allign the caliper perfectly with the disk we made to bracket out of 2 parts en welded them later on.

Thirst part was cutting out the brackets out of 15mm steel plate:
IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6315.JPG

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

Result bracket welded and sandblasted:
IMG_6320.JPG

Bracket painted:
IMG_6326.JPG

Fitting the entire brakes:
IMG_6307.JPG

Custom made steel hoses:
IMG_6324.JPG

Now it all fits and my wheel is in just the exact same place it would be originally. As you can see i now have to start let the pads and disks word in on eachother, but that will all work out i geuss.

IMG_6358.JPG

Reactions: Mario8P, Muzza80, A3SBQ and 3 others
U have been thinking about this to. This will widening your front track as well. I think it will require front wing extended.
Any other?

I think it will only change a couple of mm, also then you shouldn't have to run any spacers. Heres hoping anyway.

That would be great to eliminate the spacer.

Don't suppose you have any details on this bracket like a CAD drawing or pdf to go off?

thanks for the link ive asked if he has a cad drawing or pdf i could have to make some up.

Don't suppose you have any details on this bracket like a CAD drawing or pdf to go off?

I was just talking about that on a dutch GTI forum. This week i will try to make one in something like sketchup. I will keep you posted!

Reactions: COSTA_P
They look good! Ill have a dig around see what i can find out about offsets etc

Did you get any reply back?
I've just bought a set of RS3 brake kit

Yes please share som details. Just bought a RS3 Brake kit from eBay. Can't wait to start the work on installing. I have a S3 front alloy hub/Spindel kit waiting to be installed that I can do all the final adjustment on. The GTI and A3 does come with a iron cast Spindel as standard. It's all about weight reduction. RIGHT?

Is there anything else to think of when doing this?

I starten drawing it This week, but u also stil have some metalscraping when turning the wheel completely to one side. At this point i am not sure where this is coming from and i do want to fix this before i will give out a drawing of something that might not work like iT should.

On the plus side, these brakes are amazing! Every day they brake a little better.

For my Mkv Golf i needed 64cm long steel hoses with on one end a 90 degree nipple with m10x1.0 tread on the outside, the other end straight m10x1.0 tread on the inside.

Sorry that i havent completed the sketchup allready but will keep you posted!

Metal scraping! That's bad. Is it only one side or both when turned max left and right?
Is it maby touching the outer ball link from the steering rod or the lower wishbone ball joint?

Maybe we should open a new thread in the A3/S3 8p section. I feel that we are high jacking a good thread about the squeal problem.

Reactions: COSTA_P and 5CYL
I think it is exactly the problem with the joints you are refering to, but i didn't know how to explain that in English :( I allready had to take of a little bit (about 1,5mm) of the inside edge of the braking part of the disk. With that the scraping sound was gone for 95%. Now i only hear it occasionly when i'm steering Max to the left of right. The joint you are refering to (in dutch we call it a "fusee") has to be replaced because it can be moved a little bit were they shoudn't so i will replace them next weak. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

You are absolutely right about starting a nee topic, maybe a moderator can move these last posts to a nee thread?

Sorry For my bad english, i try my best to explain everything as well as i can.

Reactions: COSTA_P and 5CYL
Sorry for the delay guys, i havent been able to get anything done on my car last days. I finished the drawing but i want to know it is 100% correct before i leave it online. Next week i hope the finish the work and solve the scraping problem.

Reactions: Mario8P and COSTA_P
Any joy with the resolution on the bracket? Did you have to mill the discs down a bit as standard they sit very close to the bottom ball joint, don't know if that will scrape when moving?

Hi. Any news on this.
The rs3 disc do indeed scrape the lower ball joint. My RS3 brake kit came with a set of disk that hardly had been used. No lip at all.
I have also thought on milling the discs but that would be my last resort.
Best thing would be to make a disc spacer of 4mm maby.
I have looked at a new disc setup from DaveB that utilize a 362mm AP disc and a custom caliper bracket. This is probably the best disc option but the price is crazy high. I can almost by a new brake kit from VWR which I think I much better then the 4pot brembo caliper from TTRS/RS3

There's brackets on eBay that use the ttrs/rs3 caliper with a 350mm Merc disc. Which is probably what I'll be doing seems the cheapest way about 250-270 plus pads if you need them.

I think that with custom brackets you can use stock s3 discs with rs calipers. I even think aks tuning sells brackets.

Reactions: Mario8P
I think that with custom brackets you can use stock s3 discs with rs calipers. I even think aks tuning sells brackets.
I think this involves big spacers on som wheel. The stock S3 caliper needs 28mm free space from the disc where the wheel is mounted. The RS caliper needs 40mm...

Cant find any info on. AKS Tuning site....

I'm on a different platform but I bought Epytec adapters to fit RS3 calipers to my 8L S3 and the quality is brilliant.

Just a heads up re hoses, DAGhose supplies make hoses for A3/Golf with rs3 conversion. The customer service is brilliant, I had my set custom made at no extra cost

Reactions: COSTA_P and Mario8P
Again sorry for the delay guys! I still havent been able to get anything done so far.

@COSTA_P:
Yes, i had to mill down a bit of the inside of the disk to make some clearance so it woudn't hit the bottom ball joint. I still prefer this to a spacer. With a spacer your wheel will come out more, plus your calliper has to go further to the outside of the car, what makes it more difficult to fit different wheels.

I think i know what the problem is now, witch has something to do with the size of the bracket. I hope to get something done next week, but i'm not sure about that. At this point i can normally drive with the car without any problem, the only thing is the scraping sound when steering to the outmost right on low speed cornering. I'm also working at my house at this point, so the spare time for the car is really low at this point.

I to thought about milling down the inside of the disc but not sure how this would work on a track where the brakes gets hot. It could be that they warp easily...

If you have a drawing on your existing brackets I could take a look at it and maby do the necessary changes. I have plasma, laser and waterjet machines by hand and it would be easy to produce. My friend runs a milling machine so he could do the final machining to.

Good luck with the house.

Reactions: Swaffie and COSTA_P