cars playing up again

Ash92

Reaction score
Evening all

Just had the cam.chain and tensioner replaced all good sounds loads better well quite. After 20 miles is today I popped to Asda left the car for around 30 mins got back started up reversed and it cut out tried starting up again made some strange noise nothing to loud but just wouldnt start up left it for 10 mins and started up fine no noises nothing all good.
Then doing at 30mile round trip on the motorway I had it in 5th and between 3000 and 4000 rpm it would rev high on its own. It would only do it the once then back to normal all other gears were fine. Couple times today also it would struggle on started but would run fine.
Any ideas? Really hope this is nothing bad as I'm sick of spending a fortune fixing these b7s
Thanks
Ash

Evening all

Just had the cam.chain and tensioner replaced all good sounds loads better well quite. After 20 miles is today I popped to Asda left the car for around 30 mins got back started up reversed and it cut out tried starting up again made some strange noise nothing to loud but just wouldnt start up left it for 10 mins and started up fine no noises nothing all good.
Then doing at 30mile round trip on the motorway I had it in 5th and between 3000 and 4000 rpm it would rev high on its own. It would only do it the once then back to normal all other gears were fine. Couple times today also it would struggle on started but would run fine.
Any ideas? Really hope this is nothing bad as I'm sick of spending a fortune fixing these b7s
Thanks
Ash
If it's an issue that's come after the chain replacement, I'd say the timing is out. Although you use a locking tool for the cams, it is still quite easy to get the chain a tooth out. One full rotation of the crank usually confirms this.

I'd take it back.

Evening all

Thanks
Ash
Get it fixed then sell it :)

If the timing is out wouldn't there be a constant problem? Iv drove the car a lot since this happened this morning and not a single issue and I can't sell it I love the beast :)

I think I'll end up the same with this one spending loads on it lol. I spent thousands on the previous b7 tdi blb just fixing it did my head in

If the timing is out wouldn't there be a constant problem? Iv drove the car a lot since this happened this morning and not a single issue and I can't sell it I love the beast :)
Not necessarily mate, it will still run just a few issues *** far as vvt is concerned. The exhaust can will be in time, but the inlet can could be slightly out causing the ECU to advance or ****** the timing in correctly.
But then again the camshaft position sensor should pick up a fault

Other option is a faulty crank sensor. When they break down it can cause issues on a warm start

Ok I'll take it to the garage wen there open next. There are no codes come up when it's been scanned and i took it out this morning and nothing running sweet again no problems also took it down the dual carriageway and no odd revs
One thing I have notice is when I first turn it on in the morning it jumps straight to 1200rpm then after a while drops down. Is that normal I have replaced the pvc.

Ok I'll take it to the garage wen there open next. There are no codes come up when it's been scanned and i took it out this morning and nothing running sweet again no problems also took it down the dual carriageway and no odd revs
One thing I have notice is when I first turn it on in the morning it jumps straight to 1200rpm then after a while drops down. Is that normal I have replaced the pvc.
That's normal mate. It may have just been a break down somewhere. It doesn't sound major, but is still get the garage to look at it, as they were the last people to touch it.

Ok nice one thanks for.the info and I'll get them to have a look soon