a3 1.8t gear crunch.

Mark Greenall

Reaction score
Hi, I own a 1998 audi a3 1.8t with agu engine. Just after Xmas my clutch went, so I replaced it with single mass setup and vr6 clutch from darkside. Everything new including the slave cylinder. The car has been fine until this week started to crunch when I select reverse. sometimes it doesn't do it but mainly it does. I checked the slave it's ok still. Any ideas what is causing this? I recently changed my gearbox mount because last 1 cracked about a week after the clutch upgrade. I don't drive hard so I doubt it's on the way out. It was genuine darkside kit not ebay special all in all it cost me with fitting about 450 pounds. If anyone can suggest anything I'd be happy to try and appreciated already.

A crunch while selecting reverse isn't necessarily an issue... Am I right in saying it only does it when you start the car with the clutch down and then instantly engage reverse without raising the clutch first?

Reactions: Mark Greenall
A crunch while selecting reverse isn't necessarily an issue... Am I right in saying it only does it when you start the car with the clutch down and then instantly engage reverse without raising the clutch first?
Sometimes when cold it did the crunch when i just put it in reverse, I just thought it was bedding in to speak. Yesterday i pulled into the carpark after a half hour drive and selected reverse it made a crunch and a slight lurch as it picked up reverse it did this 8 out of ten times i suppose. 1-5th are fine? I think could be gearbox oil but the box is silent and when i removed the gearbox i checked for play in the shaft and there was none. It feels as though the trans is spinning as i press the clutch causing it to collide if thats the correct word.

Mmmmmm, it's hard to judge from what you're saying... I'm no gearbox expert but a slight crunch when selecting reverse is fairly normal though as reverse has no syncromesh, it does suggest there is perhaps a bit of drag though.

Gearbox oil will never go a miss! Could be worth bleeding the clutch as well, does the pedal feel spongy at all or is the bite quite low?

Mark I had this on my old a3, a way to avoid it is press in the clutch, wait a second or two, and then select reverse. The delay should stop the crunch

Cheers guys iv just topped up gearbox oil and seems alot better. I was worried my clutch was eating itself! Whilst I was there I noticed my bolts holding driveshaft were coming out so iv locktite them. Then I thought I'd have a good look as it's a nice day and found my passenger suspension arm is worn enough my wheel moves front to back when loosening the wheel nuts lol. I suppose that's not helping my driveshaft at all.