Advanced Key - Please Read

I've read this thread many times over already. I'm undecided on the risk factor, but I've never understood the fascination with starter buttons and the idea that you pay more to get one. I'm old enough to remember when separate ignition key and starter button was the norm, and how excited my dad was when he bought a car that combined the ignition and starter functions into one key-operated action. There's nothing "advanced" about separating them again, and certainly not at extra cost.

The other thing this thread has convinced me of is that I never want to own an 8V.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76 and Keef
I've read this thread many times over already. I'm undecided on the risk factor, but I've never understood the fascination with starter buttons and the idea that you pay more to get one. I'm old enough to remember when separate ignition key and starter button was the norm, and how excited my dad was when he bought a car that combined the ignition and starter functions into one key-operated action. There's nothing "advanced" about separating them again, and certainly not at extra cost.
Like you say Jeff, each to their own in respect of having or not having advanced key. I've posted the link in here as some people may not have read it before

The other thing this thread has convinced me of is that I never want to own an 8V.
If you disregard some of the guff in that thread, there are some valid points being made IMO :thumbs up:

The 8V lot are not a bad bunch when you get to know them. Definitely some 'characters' in there :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Sandra and jdp1962
{some stuff}

I guess they have been doing some promo's or super deals on finance for S3's recently as it looks like every Tom, D1ck and Harry has one......I've lost count how many I've seen on the road over the last few months.....and not 1 other S4. Maybe because an S4 is a proper man's car not not a kids car

:undwech:

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and Keef
I have a new S5 arriving next week and I have the advanced key option as I love the idea of keeping my key in my pocket - so convenient.

I read these scares, and started thinking about the preventative measures I could take including a diagnostic port cover. But then I realised that there is only really one thing I need: GAP insurance. If the thieves want it then they'll take it. If they can do so just before the GAP expires then so much the better!

Id guess that most people have read or at least seen that post alread BH as its been on here a while. Unless there are forum members who log in and just navigate to the one sub forum and never leave it.

I guess they have been doing some promo's or super deals on finance for S3's recently as it looks like every Tom, D1ck and Harry has one......I've lost count how many I've seen on the road over the last few months.....and not 1 other S4. Maybe because an S4 is a proper man's car not not a kids car

:undwech:
your-high-horse.jpg

Here you go bud. I hope you're not representative of s4 owners in general!

Reactions: jdp1962
Unless there are forum members who log in and just navigate to the one sub forum and never leave it.
My shortcut brings me directly to Forums/Audi Forums A4 Series/Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)
I rarely go elsewhere.

Reactions: Bulldog and razza1
My shortcut brings me directly to Forums/Audi Forums A4 Series/Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)
I rarely go elsewhere.
You should try clicking the "new posts" link. It will expand your world entirely. I have an 8p s3 myself but would never dream of just limiting myself to this one section of the forum.

Reactions: jdp1962
You should try clicking the "new posts" link. It will expand your world entirely. I have an 8p s3 myself but would never dream of just limiting myself to this one section of the forum.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: s3_trev
I wouldn't be without advance key (Audi) or Comfort key (BMW), both my vehicles have the latest security updates in order to prevent this problem.

THe start button is becasue of advanced key and not the reason for getting it if that makes sense.