Audi 2.0 TFSI exhaust rattle/noise

Dulay2015

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

Does anyone know whether this sound is normal? There appears to be some form of rattle/shaking noise on de-acceleration?

Thanks

Sounds different to mine. May be a leak somewhere or exhaust starting to blow. How old / many miles ? Any exhaust smells in cabin ? Can you locate source of noise if someone else blips the throttle if you get your head under the car / around engine bay ? Any related problems re how it runs - eg accelerates ok, economy fine etc ?

Reactions: Dulay2015
Does anyone know whether this sound is normal? There appears to be some form of rattle/shaking noise on de-acceleration?

Thanks

Hi Dulay2015.
From what I can hear it could be the wastegate inside your turbo.It,s the steel flap that the actuator operates to expel the gasses from your turbo.Had this on my old A4 1.8 turbo got so bad I sold it:(.Had a couple of Audi,s since then and when I purchased my current car from main dealer(used) It had the same noise.To cut a long story short they had to replace turbo:audibash:.It was a struggle but I was adamant that the noise was due to the flap on the turbo.They said at the time that the actuator rod was at fault and to fix it they put on a clip to stop it rattling but the noise was still there when the' techie' took it for a run.This was when they decided to replace the turbo:) .ps the car had covered 65000 mls.. What miles has your car covered?

Reactions: Dulay2015
Sounds different to mine. May be a leak somewhere or exhaust starting to blow. How old / many miles ? Any exhaust smells in cabin ? Can you locate source of noise if someone else blips the throttle if you get your head under the car / around engine bay ? Any related problems re how it runs - eg accelerates ok, economy fine etc ?

Hi Dulay2015.
From what I can hear it could be the wastegate inside your turbo.It,s the steel flap that the actuator operates to expel the gasses from your turbo.Had this on my old A4 1.8 turbo got so bad I sold it:(.Had a couple of Audi,s since then and when I purchased my current car from main dealer(used) It had the same noise.To cut a long story short they had to replace turbo:audibash:.It was a struggle but I was adamant that the noise was due to the flap on the turbo.They said at the time that the actuator rod was at fault and to fix it they put on a clip to stop it rattling but the noise was still there when the' techie' took it for a run.This was when they decided to replace the turbo:) .ps the car had covered 65000 mls.. What miles has your car covered?

Thanks for the reply guys.

In terms of age the car is a 10 plate but it has covered many motorway miles as it was used as a company car. It has just over 100k on the clock. I've recently had it terra-cleaned so the mpg is as it should be. There are no problems in terms of acceleration too.

pburv, what are your recommendations? I'm looking to have the car remapped, new intercooler installed, de-catted and back boxes removed but I don't want to be chucking money at a car with an underlining problem. I've given thought to installing a k04 turbo but I dont want to go too crazy with the bhp, as I know the more modifications the more problems I'm likely to have. I'm guessing the Audi S3 and 2.0 TFSI share the same turbo?

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply guys.

In terms of age the car is a 10 plate but it has covered many motorway miles as it was used as a company car. It has just over 100k on the clock. I've recently had it terra-cleaned so the mpg is as it should be. There are no problems in terms of acceleration too.

pburv, what are your recommendations? I'm looking to have the car remapped, new intercooler installed, de-catted and back boxes removed but I don't want to be chucking money at a car with an underlining problem. I've given thought to installing a k04 turbo but I dont want to go too crazy with the bhp, as I know the more modifications the more problems I'm likely to have. I'm guessing the Audi S3 and 2.0 TFSI share the same turbo?

Kind regards
Hi Dulay2015.
If you bought the car from an independent dealer they would have supplied at least 3 months warranty. Try and get it sorted within there warranty period.Get them to check the fault I described.
In "hindsight" I probably would have kept my A4 and bought a new turbo but I used the excuse to persuade the other half to buy a newer car(it turned out to be an 11 plate Astra Elite 2.0 cdti :tumble: in it,s defense it had all the bells and whistles) anyway I had that for 3 months and hated every minute of it :( so I bought my current car A3 Black Edition DSg 2.0tfsi:jump:.It turned out to be in a sorry state:(.All in all Audi have spent at least £5000 worth on warranty claims in 12 months of which included the new turbo due the fault I mentioned in my previous post... To me it seems the K03 turbo has a common fault with the waste gate..?
I assume you have spent at least £7000 on your pride and joy and if you haven,t managed to claim on warranty for a new turbo it,s not the end of the world bite the bullet and buy a new turbo(or a recon one).Providing this is the fault you have?
Phew that was a long rant....lol..All the best Paul:thumbs up: