1.4 tfsi rattle noise

a3tree

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an audi a3 8p 1.4 tfsi. Every time I start the car from cold I hear a rattle noise that lasts for 2 seconds then disappears. You'll not hear it when driving or idle, just on startup. If the car has warmed up and you start it again there is no noise and it runs normally. However if the car was warm and it sat for about 20 minutes on start you will hear it for a second before returning to normal.

The timing chain was changed about 30k miles ago but I believe it wasn't an oem replacement (done by previously owner, 1 owner car)

I need to drive this car about 4000 miles next month as I am heading around Spain. Any ideas?

(Not my video but same sound)

i wouldnt worry about it. its fairly normal. if it was making that sound continuously then id be worried, but the startup is usual.
the tensioner for the chain is held with oil pressure. when the oil has drained from the tensioner (cold start), you can hear the noise. as soon as oil pressure returns, the tensioner is back in action.
if the car is parked on a slope, you hear the noise.

some tips.
make sure the oil is in good condition and of the right spec (vw504).
make sure the oil filter is the correct version. there are 2 types of metal spin on filter, pre and post 2010.

Reactions: a3tree
I have a simillar noise from my S3 engine ( a little louder that ur's ) and have recently found out it is my Camshaft Chain ( chain Stretch ) All Samisnake has said is exactly how it works

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: a3tree