Handbrake Is Applied DIS message

midgelfc

Reaction score
Had to pull an emergency stop tonight and applied both the footbrake and the handbrake. Now the Handbrake warning light is staying on the Instrument Dash and when i drive off i get the warning sound for around a minute as well as the Handbrake Is Applied DIS message.

I've definitely fully released the handbrake to the down position. Had the car hooked up to VCDS but couldnt find a control module which would let me reset the instrument warning light.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or give me a heads up on how to clear the fault?

Cheers

How many clicks does your handbrake go up? If its like 6+ it may need tightening.

How many clicks does your handbrake go up? If its like 6+ it may need tightening.
The handbrake is pretty tight, it only goes up about 3 clicks. Problem is since the emergency stop the car thinks the handbrake is still engaged even though it's been fully released, so when I'm driving I get a very loud annoying warning sign for about a minute as the car thinks the handbrake is still on.

Have a look on rosstech.com for it

There is a switch that physically depresses when the handbrake is released (down) and opens when applied (up) located under the center console. It's made of plastic and simply clips onto the metal part of the handbrake mechanism. It's possible that it got knocked loose and isn't being depressed when the brake is released. To check though you'll have to pull the console, then it just clips back into place.

Reactions: midgelfc
There is a switch that physically depresses when the handbrake is released (down) and opens when applied (up) located under the center console. It's made of plastic and simply clips onto the metal part of the handbrake mechanism. It's possible that it got knocked loose and isn't being depressed when the brake is released. To check though you'll have to pull the console, then it just clips back into place.
Cheers for the info OCD, could be exactly what the issue is, will see about taking a look tonight.

Cheers

Just to update on this, @OCD-A3 was 100% spot on cheers for the handy tip.

Removed the centre console using the following guide http://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/rs4startbutton

Was very fidily to get off and even worse to get back on!!!

Anyway once i had the centre console off i seen the switch that you were talking about below the handbrake
kPEDMTB.jpg

Closer look i could see the handbrake wasn't making contact with the switch when fully down
IMG_20150424_103025.jpg

Couldn't really see all the way round the handbrake because of the tight space, so a quick feel and a poke around and found this wedged below the handbrake

IMG_20150424_103640.jpg

Not a clue were it came from or what it is off. Certainly wasn't from the centre console as all screws etc were accounted for.and this was stopping the handbrake from going down :S.

Anyway all good now.

Thanks again @OCD-A3 for pointing me in the right direction. Saved me a trip to the garage :).

Awesome! Glad that solved it. In the last picture, the screw with the clip looks like it may have come from underneath the shifter bezel/trim. May want to take a look there, I believe there are four of those clips there, one at each corner.

Awesome! Glad that solved it. In the last picture, the screw with the clip looks like it may have come from underneath the shifter bezel/trim. May want to take a look there, I believe there are four of those clips there, one at each corner.
Yeah I noticed those clips were the same on the gear shifter, but they're all accounted for... Its actually more annoying that I have this extra unaccounted for screw... Hopefully it's not that important :S.