Is it too late to modify order?

m3vhf

Reaction score
Hi guys, my new s3 saloon is due to start building week commencing 18th May. Is the dealer correct in saying it's too late to have the spec changed to have colour coded mirrors? This option wasn't available on the configurator when I ordered the car.

Hi guys, my new s3 saloon is due to start building week commencing 18th May. Is the dealer correct in saying it's too late to have the spec changed to have colour coded mirrors? This option wasn't available on the configurator when I ordered the car.

I wouldn't have thought so, the car hasn't been built yet so I can't see why not. It's hardly a massive change either. It depends what build code your cars at though, I know it can't be changed last a certain code

The car will be locked by now I would think, usually a week or two before BW. Not unreasonable really.
Find out the production code from the dealer or from Audi Customer Services.
Codes are detailed somewhere on this forum.

I expect you are way too close to build week, as mirrors have electrics and they get locked down relatively early in the schedule is my understsnding.

However you can ask your dealer to put the change into the system and see what it does to the build week. This will confirm if that part of the build is locked, if not it will update build week and if you don't like the length of delay it can be cancelled before hitting the accept change button.

Far too close to build to make any changes, parts will all be scheduled for picking ready for assembly. Retrofit is the only option, or you could get them painted.

Once locked down, they are really strict. You could cancel and re-order, but suspect you won't want to do this as it is effectively starting from scratch.

Thanks guys, not knowing how they do things in the factory for just in time parts scheduling I would have thought it's just clipping on colour coded mirror caps as opposed to a complete mirror assembly? Considering this is a non cost option I wouldn't have thought this would have been an issue. Especially as I wasn't able to select this when I was ordering the car. Can mirror caps be purchased separately for these?

If they weren't available to order initially then what has changed to make them available now?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and m3vhf
It wasn't an option on the configurator. Someone mentioned the other day on another forum that they have ordered their car with colour coded mirrors, so I checked the configurator again and now option 6H body color mirrors is now available. Maybe there was a demand for it.

I'm in the process of spec'ing my car & noticed last Saturday that a few things on the S3 configurer had changed overnight. 1) Ibis White has been added as a standard colour, metallic paint has increased from £525 to £550 & that body coloured mirrors have been added as a NCO.

karl

Last edited:
I think these are part of the model year 16 updates that are due in june.

So it would seem you are getting a 2015 model, and the body coloured mirrors are for the 2016 models. So you wouldn't be able to have them anyway unless you cancel and order again. Never mind - I'm sure you will forget all about it when you are driving your new car!