S3 OR RS3

Benash20

Reaction score
I have a dilemma I have an S3 sportback on order which has a build week of 30 and due for delivery on the 1st of September at this late stage should I swop for the RS the S3 I have ordered is very well configured so should I keep the order or go for a fairly basic spec RS.

Hmmm interesting one. I specced up an RS 'just to see' and it was 8k more than what mine is listed at on the configurator but with discounts I'm guessing that would be more like 10k. It also pushed the price up to the 50k bracket which gets you an awful lot of cars for the money and would tempt me to go for a used RS4 Avant which I've always been a fan of.

In the end only you can decide but I understand your temptation with the right spec and colour combination the RS3 looks mega .....

I'd keep the S3. I'd much rather have a fully spec'd slightly slower can than a slightly faster car with no gadgets. It's only 66bhp difference as well isn't it?

I test drove an RS3 on the weekend and an S3 a few weeks before that, I honestly didn't think it was leaps and bounds ahead of the S3, it was really twitchy under heavy breaking I found. Through corners it handled pretty much exactly the same as the S3. The RS3 sounded better but as Rob says it is £8k more than the S3, Imagine the mods you could do to a car with £8k and it'd be much more of a car than the RS by the time you're done

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and Rob2k68
We almost went for the RS3, however having priced it up and had a think, as much as I want one it didn't make financial sense to stretch ourselves that far. Also spoke to Jethro Bovingdon on Twitter who said that the gain in performance and overall "experience" wasn't worth the price hike over an S3 which he already rates as a very good car. So we got an S3 and I might treat myself to a remap sometime!

Reactions: David83S3 and Rob2k68
The RS3 has much better exhaust sound and 7 speed gear box not big deal with DTUK you can get 375bhp. The only thing that really liked in RS3 was the exhaust sound nothing else.

I have a S3 Hatch on a 64 plate that I have had since Oct. I drove the RS3 on Saturday for a good hour on some really challenging roads. The RS3 is the better car in my opinion. It handles far better than the S3 when driven progressively, has better brakes, no metallic rustling and even the bog standard exhaust sounds epic with that engine, which is the real star. It accelerates better and harder than the S3 with some drama that is lacking from my current car. Obviously that's my opinion only (full write up http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-2015-rs3.233110/page-28#post-2486367). I can't afford one, but if I could get it within my price range, I would be pulling the trigger on the RS3.

Go and drive both and decide for yourself which you prefer. (Make sure you get lifestyle test drives for at least 24 hours in each).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might contact the dealership and just see if I can drive the RS even look at one in the flesh for that matter and make my decision on that anybody aware of the current lead times if I was to swop for that?

I just got back from test driving a brand new rs3 (had about 50miles on the clock). Having come from my s3 that I've had for nearly a year from brand new, I was underwhelmed. The looks are identical apart from a few tiny details, most notably the front grill and stance - it is a lot more aggressive. I found the acceleration a bit laggy and less responsive than my s3. The steering also felt lighter in dynamic than my car, not sure I liked it tbh (although many of you may disagree with me on that)
The noise was absolutely epic. Exhaust sounds incredible, start up, revving, acceleration etc. awesome. However, the farts between gears are less prominent on the rs3 than the s3. Mainly because there's so much more noise it probably masks it a little. I also found the gear changes a little jerkier than the s3, and again, felt a little disengaged from the car in terms of driving "feel".

I didn't even bother doing the figures on it, I already made my mind up that my s3 was good enough and I can't justify going from mine to a new rs3. Would cost me over 10k when all is said and done.

However, when I got back into my s3 I realised how good it was! I think I felt so underwhelmed through the test drive I didn't take in all the aspects to enjoy them - I criticised them instead. But stepping down from the rs3 into the s3 felt like a much bigger jump than it did moving up.

My advice is, if you have/or going to buy an s3, stick with it and don't even test drive the rs3. If you can afford it however, it's every bit as good as the s3 and more. I reckon if I had it for a couple of days I would have totally and utterly fallen in love. It took for me to get back into mine to realise how good it was.

My two pence worth anyway....

Reactions: GRE57Y and Audimad
I just got back from test driving a brand new rs3 (had about 50miles on the clock). Having come from my s3 that I've had for nearly a year from brand new, I was underwhelmed. The looks are identical apart from a few tiny details, most notably the front grill and stance - it is a lot more aggressive. I found the acceleration a bit laggy and less responsive than my s3. The steering also felt lighter in dynamic than my car, not sure I liked it tbh (although many of you may disagree with me on that)
The noise was absolutely epic. Exhaust sounds incredible, start up, revving, acceleration etc. awesome. However, the farts between gears are less prominent on the rs3 than the s3. Mainly because there's so much more noise it probably masks it a little. I also found the gear changes a little jerkier than the s3, and again, felt a little disengaged from the car in terms of driving "feel".

I didn't even bother doing the figures on it, I already made my mind up that my s3 was good enough and I can't justify going from mine to a new rs3. Would cost me over 10k when all is said and done.

However, when I got back into my s3 I realised how good it was! I think I felt so underwhelmed through the test drive I didn't take in all the aspects to enjoy them - I criticised them instead. But stepping down from the rs3 into the s3 felt like a much bigger jump than it did moving up.

My advice is, if you have/or going to buy an s3, stick with it and don't even test drive the rs3. If you can afford it however, it's every bit as good as the s3 and more. I reckon if I had it for a couple of days I would have totally and utterly fallen in love. It took for me to get back into mine to realise how good it was.

My two pence worth anyway....
Thank you very much for that I think that I'm going to stick to my guns on the S3 I'm not even going to look at 1 now so I can't be influenced.

It didn't feel special enough, the interior is the same as the S3 and the S3 is just as quick as the RS3.
Thanks from what I can gather people seem to be very underwhelmed with the RS but then again for the price the expectation is going to be sky high.

Ulimately it's your choice on what you want & how much you're prepared to spend.
I've got a high spec 8P which I've owned for 5 years now, the main reason for still owning this car is its spec.
I believe if I'd bought a lower specc'ed car we'd have parted company years ago, so I'm replacing her with another high spec S3 rather than a basic RS.
Karl

Reactions: GRE57Y
I have a spec. for a RS3 and configuring a S3 with as close as possible features, I get a difference of about £5k. There are a number of standard items on the RS3 that are extras on the S3 making the difference smaller than I thought it would be. Once I've driven one I will know whether I think the RS3 justifies the extra cash - I hope so:yes:.

Oh, I also launched it!!! Felt like it struggled to put the power down, a bit slippery. At least I can say I've launched an rs3 though! Haha!

I might be in the minority, but I think the RS3 is a bit ugly. I really don't like the wheels, and the other bits of styling over and above the S3 take away from the overall style, not add.

As for the sound, it does sound better. However, as with the S3 this is still primarily fake and a result of a bit of electronic trickery.

When I ordered my S3 I got told that Audi had put a block on any dealerships offering any discounts whatsoever on the RS3. I'm not sure how Audi can justify a £9k premium on a car where the only real difference is 60ish HP, and a different exhaust system. I guess some people will go for it, but if it's just the power you're after it would be a better idea to get a remap on an S3.

Reactions: thewanted
Ulimately it's your choice on what you want & how much you're prepared to spend.
I've got a high spec 8P which I've owned for 5 years now, the main reason for still owning this car is its spec.
I believe if I'd bought a lower specc'ed car we'd have parted company years ago, so I'm replacing her with another high spec S3 rather than a basic RS.
Karl
I currently have the S1 which I didnt spec and there are things missing that I would of liked so after such a short ownership I am swapping for the S3 but I have gone all out on the spec and I'm sure I will enjoy this much more I think the right spec can really make a difference.

Reactions: K4RL
I currently have the S1 which I didnt spec and there are things missing that I would of liked so after such a short ownership I am swapping for the S3 but I have gone all out on the spec and I'm sure I will enjoy this much more I think the right spec can really make a difference.

Totally agree. Buying new and speeced up to your personal preference is all part of the fun and why a lot of people myself included bought new. Added a fair few extras on mine for me alone to enjoy and hopefully to last 3 years which is a tall order as I'm a serial car changer. I do like to mess though and would love to drop some RS3 brakes on it and some 19s at some point.

Totally agree. Buying new and speeced up to your personal preference is all part of the fun and why a lot of people myself included bought new. Added a fair few extras on mine for me alone to enjoy and hopefully to last 3 years which is a tall order as I'm a serial car changer. I do like to mess though and would love to drop some RS3 brakes on it and some 19s at some point.
I'm terrible for swapping cars 4 cars in the last 2 years hopefully I have found the 1 with the S3.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Now if this had been the saloon I would have changed my order but can't justify the 10k hike. I did change my order to RS3 but sense prevailed rather than the heart and I soon swapped back to the S3. I just got to hold on until September the 1st now.

had to giggle along with them in this video. I did the same during my test drive, good fun and sounds epic.

Reactions: Benash20
l think a RS3 is a better car NO DOUBT IN THAT........Too late for me as l only got my S3 3 months........l specced a RS3 to the same spec as my car but added Lunar sport seats,done away with Audi connect £47,470 thats serious money but l dont know what discounts are seriously available....l heard guys saying on this forum......"l know someone who got a such a discount"................but my son said between 6-7% just now.

An interesting topic and certainly a nice position to be in " Should i buy a new S3 or new RS3".

I have a 2014 S3. I needed/wanted something with 4/5 seats a boot from a premium brand and something with more than decent poke. The S3 absolutely ticks all of those boxes. I truely think its giggle quick!

In stock form it provides more than enough acceleration in just about any gear. Anyone I have taken out in it has been very very impressed with its pace. The only thing it lacks in my opinion during low speed, gentle throttle is a better sound track from the quad exhausts. ( which after 10k miles do sound nice under full bore or in launch mode..).
But that too is a mixed blessing as you do not always want to "announce your arrival" or wreck your ear drums on a motorway cruise from a droning / booming exhaust. The S3 can be quiet and descrete as well as have a little roar on full acceleration, its a wolf in sheeps clothing. I love the "burps" as the DSG changes gear!

In terms of outright pace there is no question the RS3 ticks the boxes but the S3 is no slouch. Its certainly not a poor cousin when u consider in stock form it hits 0-60 in 4.7/8 secs (depending on what magazine u read) with the DSG gear box compared to 4.3 for the RS3. Can u really tell 0.5 of a sec differance to 60?.. They are both blooming fast!

If you want more...As others have also said there is also a huge potential in the S3 for tuning for relatively small amounts of cash. (If its just about the pure speed)

The 5 cylc unit in the RS3 is cerrtainly more characterful and sounds great even at tick over in comparison to the S3. For many that alone is the main reason for buying the RS3.

But ..You do have to ask yourself how will you and where/when will u drive the car and is all the performance really useable on the road? You can already get to silly speeds very quickly in the S3! There is another whole debate about the fact that modern cars are just too good now and to truly exploit their potential u have to be on a track or at silly speeds on the road, especially the hot hatch segment where once 120bhp was considered a lot let alone 300bhp+! (Thats more than Steve McQueens Porsche Turbo thats up for sale). I digress anyway......

From a looks perspective both cars are very similar with the only notable differences under a casual glance being the front grill / air vent shaping and the large dual exhausts out of the back. Otherwise to the casual observer they are the same. I get plenty of admiring glances at the petrol station in my S3 and its certainly not me people are looking at,.....But maybe they think its the RS3?? But thats no bad thing right?

If you are the sort of person who must have the very top of the tree car then there is no question it has to be the RS3. However £45-50k is a lot of cash for a hatchback! If 5 seats and a boot are not required £45-£50k would get a very very nice sports car. Thats nice 911 or R8 money for example!

If you are squeezing the budget to get to a RS3 then that cant be a good thing.
Resale might be altered on a low spec RS3? I read an article recently that stated the average Audi drivers spend 20% extra ontop for options!. Options are a key factor when buying a second hand / used car for easy resale.

Personally I love my S3, its truely giggle quick has a nice spec and ticks all of the practical boxes that i need. The icing on the cake is Its a nice place to sit for hour after hour on a long journey and can still put a smile on your face when you push the throttle.

The video made me chuckle...I took my friend out in my S3 on Sunday and we were both giggling like school girls at the pace of the S3.

I consider myself lucky, and I think what ever way you went you wouldnt be disssapointed. RS3 or S3, both cracking cars!

Reactions: David83S3, JamesH1973, PanamaS3 and 6 others
I wouldn't have one because I think it looks terrible with 4 doors. When they bring out the RS3 Saloon or a coupe, then I would be interested. I guess Audi think the only people who can afford one are petrol heads with kids..

That said, i'm a sucker for the 5 cylinder noise, if it was SLIGHTLY more than my S3 per month I guess I would go for one. But then as others have said, you're getting close to RS4 territory.

Reactions: s3_trev
My mind is well made up now with my current order a top spec S3 ticks more boxes for me than a low spec RS as I wouldn't be prepared to spend 50k on what is essentially an A3 at the end of the day.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
RS3 will be considerably better, without a doubt.
Will it be worth the premium over the S3, probably not.
If you ask the same question in the RS3 section, there are quite a few who are moving from the S3 to the RS3, so you'll possibly get a different reaction.

Two things would lead to me never having the RS3.
Haldex and terrible seating position.
I'm going to have a go in one next week though!

Reactions: SilureMark
A £50k A3 - that's what we are talking here. Yes it's powerful but it's a small hatchback at the end of the day. I could think of a lot more cars I would rather spend that money on. Don't hate

Reactions: Minion Bob!, batch, Benash20 and 1 other person
There are also the running costs to factor in.

Personally, I think you've made the right choice. Whatever you do, don't drive an RS3... for at least a few years :)

Reactions: batch
There are also the running costs to factor in.

Personally, I think you've made the right choice. Whatever you do, don't drive an RS3... for at least a few years :)
That's exactly what I'm thinking there is always that day when one will be at the the traffic lights next to me and at that point I will probably want 1 but it will be to late I don't really expect to see many about before September.

A £50k A3 - that's what we are talking here. Yes it's powerful but it's a small hatchback at the end of the day. I could think of a lot more cars I would rather spend that money on. Don't hate

For an extra £6k you can have a proper drivers car in the M3 with 431bhp. :blow:

I had a similar dilemma but mine was made 1 million times easier when Audi said they had no plans for either a 3-door or saloon RS3. That's when I decided to fully spec this S3. I think I'm only missing the Pan Roof and BSP. 10 weeks and 2500 miles in and I'm loving it!!

Reactions: s3_trev and batch
l think a RS3 is a better car NO DOUBT IN THAT........Too late for me as l only got my S3 3 months........l specced a RS3 to the same spec as my car but added Lunar sport seats,done away with Audi connect £47,470 thats serious money but l dont know what discounts are seriously available....l heard guys saying on this forum......"l know someone who got a such a discount"................but my son said between 6-7% just now.

Just popped by to say I completely disagree with you about the RS3 (although you probably remember I'm not a fan)...................but I forgive you coz your new avatar is f*ckin epic!!! ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
People's views are that; just views. For something like this if you really had any sort of dilemma then I can't see how you can make your mind up without doing the financials and if they are acceptable then driving and experiencing them both. A S3 driver or 2 doesn't think it is worth the extra money. Who knows in the world of forums; some may be doing that to justify their purchase of x months/years ago. A S3 driver or 2 thinks it is far better. This may/may not be relevant to you.

If they made an RS3 sedan and if it came to my country then I would have probably opted for one instead of the S3 but then again, my fully loaded S3 was already pushing my budget so I would have gone for a less loaded RS3. Not regretting ordering an S3 though. Can't wait to get it!

had to giggle along with them in this video. I did the same during my test drive, good fun and sounds epic.

hehe you made the same sounds I did when I test drove one with my friend at the weekend. *Vroooom* *pop* *crackle* *crackle* *hahahahahahaha*

Reactions: pat15312
I'll go against the majority here and say go RS3 :whistle2:

Albeit I am maybe slighty biased as I'm changing my S3 (for an S4 though) later on this year. Given the choice of a well spec'd S3 or a basic RS3 I'm all for keeping it basic. What else do you need apart from that epic 5 cylinder and better drivetrain? For me it's about the drive, not the toys and the RS3 will be a better drive than the S3.

Much faster, probably not, and nothing that a remap won't fix. Better handling, maybe a bit, again how many times are you actually pushing it to the limit on the road?

I'd go RS3 purely for the character of the 5 pot, enhanced noise (you cannot make the inline 4 pot turbo sound better than a 5 or 6 cylinder) and feeling that you're driving the top dawg of the A3 range. The S3 is a really really nice car, but the fact all I can say about it, is that it's fast, competent and 'nice' says it all for me :bye:

Reactions: PanamaS3
I had an S3 in Sepang on order in November that had a build week in April. Once a few videos of the RS3 exhaust note began appearing I got straight on the phone and cancelled my order. I am now waiting on a Nardo RS3. With discounts on the S and the speccing up of the RS it has come out at 14k difference. I am just back from Le Mans at the weekend and they had a Nardo RS on static display and it really does have a massive wow factor. Do not regret my decision one bit, especially speccing the performance exhaust.

Reactions: Forbzeeee and AndyB-S3
I really really really love the sound of RS3!! I have watched countless videos and can't wait for a shot in one!! Tbh I did not like it so much when 1st came about but it really has grown on me lately!!

Will it be enough for me to swap...probably not.. I too am a serial car changer but having the S3 after some much lower spec cars I will probably just settle with it for quite a while, possibly do some upgrades after my next service that may keep me happy.

My ultimate goal is an R8 so I will end up just saving for a while as I feel that will make me even more happier than an RS3!