Keep S3 or switch to RS3?

S3GCN

Reaction score
Bit of a dilemma.

I’ve had the S3 for about 2.5 years now and it’s about 4.5 years old. Previously it was my dads but he upgraded to an RS3 so I bought the S3 off him.

Today he has bought a new RS3 and I’m pondering buying his old one. I’ve asked what the dealer would give for mine as a PX.

His RS3 is 2.5 years old but has only done 7k Miles. Thing is by the time I’ve paid off a loan on it it would be 5.5 / 6 years old.

Don’t know what to do. Any thoughts?

Presumably you’ve driven both S3 and RS3. What are your comparison impressions?

If its a decent deal then go for it - have you done anything to your S3 like tuning wise or interior mods?

My S3 for example is 400bhp and the interior is as good a spec as a RS3 from the changes i have made so me personally I do not know if I would change to a RS3

A RS4 would be more appealing to me at the minute or if you were considering a change I would think about an A45 AMG - similar to the RS3 so I nice side step.

Doubt you'd get the chance of a better deal, you know the history of your dad's car and the maximum cost to upgrade will be the difference between the 2 trade in values - unless your dad is feeling generous :)

Bit of a dilemma.

I’ve had the S3 for about 2.5 years now and it’s about 4.5 years old. Previously it was my dads but he upgraded to an RS3 so I bought the S3 off him.

Today he has bought a new RS3 and I’m pondering buying his old one. I’ve asked what the dealer would give for mine as a PX.

His RS3 is 2.5 years old but has only done 7k Miles. Thing is by the time I’ve paid off a loan on it it would be 5.5 / 6 years old.

Don’t know what to do. Any thoughts?

So has your dad traded in the old RS3 or the new RS3?

Maybe you should have bought it off him privately and got a bit of a discount, as they would have screwed him on the PX.

Also, how much would the loan payments be?
Are you comfortable with that amount?
Just because the loan will take years to pay off, you're not stuck with the car.
Sell yours privately, and get more money for it.
Do you `want` an RS3, or just considering it as your dad is selling?
Apart from the noise, and more power / speed, is the RS3 worth all that extra money over your S3?

Personally, if the RS3 is now in the dealers hands, I'd not bother. You will be paying more for the car, than your Dad PX'd it for. Easy money for the dealer

Doubt you'd get the chance of a better deal, you know the history of your dad's car and the maximum cost to upgrade will be the difference between the 2 trade in values - unless your dad is feeling generous :)

This +++ If you can afford it and get a good deal, then I would go for it. Good luck

Presumably you’ve driven both S3 and RS3. What are your comparison impressions?

I’m insured on his RS3 and have used it for a few days when my S3 has been in dry dock. Power feels completely different, makes the S3 feel sluggish. It’s a great car. It has sports exhaust so noise is immense, but, it is always loud even when in comfort, and in my job I have to visit sites and meet with clients and when I’ve use the RS3 once to do that I was very conscious of what clients may think when I arrive or fire it up to leave and it makes a huge noise.

If its a decent deal then go for it - have you done anything to your S3 like tuning wise or interior mods?

No mods to mine, totally stock both inside and out. I was thinking about an A45 but it’s due a change imminently so I’m not sure about spending so much on an outgoing car, though it should mean a good deal. TBH if I don’t take the RS3 I’ll probably keep my S3 for a while, or at least until I’ve fully paid it off in a few months. With the state of the roads an SUV is quite appealing.

Dad had got the PX value for his from the dealer, we’ve requested the value for mine - just out of interest. He is always generous! :icon thumright:

So has your dad traded in the old RS3 or the new RS3?

Maybe you should have bought it off him privately and got a bit of a discount, as they would have screwed him on the PX

He hasn’t done the trade yet, he’s got the value for his and then we’ve asked for the value for mine, which we are still waiting for. As I’m not sure what I’m going to do and particularly what mine is worth I’ve not checked loans yet but ideally I want to keep the same as I pay now. In terms of the change the power and speed aren’t major things as I don’t drive mine like I probably should.

Funny you say that as I have just bought my wife a Q5 - never in my life would I have thought I would own a jeep/SUV but I love it. It is only a 2.0TDI, wish I bought a 3.0 to be honest but if I didn't have the S3 and the Q5, I would seriously consider a SQ5. I love driving it!

Funny you say that as I have just bought my wife a Q5 - never in my life would I have thought I would own a jeep/SUV but I love it. It is only a 2.0TDI, wish I bought a 3.0 to be honest but if I didn't have the S3 and the Q5, I would seriously consider a SQ5. I love driving it!

SQ5 looks fantastic but no way I could justify the monthlies. I suggested one to dad instead of another RS3, he found s contender but his heart went with the RS. I’m a little tempted by an A4 Allroad. The drop in performance after changing from the S3 would be my concern with any SUV type car. My wife has a 170bhp Ford Kuga which is comfortable but by no means rapid.

its all down to the same old same....££££££
Aye.

If you can afford it, do it.

You only live once and you're in a great position buying it from your old man.

Reactions: jimojameso and jungle650
I went from an RS3 8P to a S3 8V. Wish I could have afforded the RS3 8V. for the 5 cyl noise alone. 400bhp is easy. As has been said in other replies, if you can afford the car and the parts/ servicing go for it.