Sat Nav - SD

Brazilianhipster

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently taken delivery of an S3 Saloon. As stock, the spec' states "Preparation for SD card-based navigation system" is included.

Am I correct in assuming that all I need is to purchase a Sat Nav SD card, and pop it into the SD card reader in the glove box?

If so, how much do these SD maps cost and where can I purchase one from?

Thanks.

Steve

You are right, you need to take it back to the dealer and purchase a SD card from them, they will then "install" it, pop it in and input the code for use. Cost I think is £450. I've heard stories of people buying card of the net but you then have to ask dealers to unlock it by putting in a code to get it to work which most likely they will charge you for.

If its ordered from the factory the list price is £495. If its ordered from the dealer after collecting its £595. The £100 extra is a labour fee for activating it. Most dealers will waive the £100 activation fee if they're doing it on the PDI.

Like @cuke2u said, a few dealers do do it cheeper but far and rare between, some on here have managed to get it at 495 after delivery.

Does the s d card version work with the led lights and turn the addition lights on and off at junctions or is this only with the other high Sat nav version does anyone know ?

Most dealers will waive the £100 activation fee if they're doing it on the PDI.

Watford Audi didn't. I had to stump up a straight £600 for mine. I bought a pre-built car so had to add the SD nav on, although I notified the dealer that I wanted it from the point of ordering, whilst the car was sat at Emden docks. I found - and still do - the £105 'labour' fee for pushing an SD card into a slot and typing a code into a computer frankly disgusting, but being as I wanted the integrated nav the dealer had me over a barrel with no practical alternative.

Watford Audi didn't. I had to stump up a straight £600 for mine. I bought a pre-built car so had to add the SD nav on, although I notified the dealer that I wanted it from the point of ordering, whilst the car was sat at Emden docks. I found - and still do - the £105 'labour' fee for pushing an SD card into a slot and typing a code into a computer frankly disgusting, but being as I wanted the integrated nav the dealer had me over a barrel with no practical alternative.
I bought my car off the showroom floor from Hatfield Audi, Spire Automotive Group, of which Watford Audi is part of. Had the SD Nav added for collection day and paid £495. They tried the old "labour fee" rubbish on me so I told them I would cancel the sale :)

Reactions: Minion Bob!
Thats a shame mate, honestly you got ripped off a bit especially since the car wasn't collected yet! They honestly should not have charged you for that.... Stealers!!! Cant believe you allowed that

Does the s d card version work with the led lights and turn the addition lights on and off at junctions or is this only with the other high Sat nav version does anyone know ?
The SD Nav map data is not linked to the Audi Static Corning Lights.

That's a shame then if it doesn't work with the led headlights you would thought it should

As much as it pains me not to add the SD-Card Sat Nav option to my S3 order, I just can't stomach paying £500 for something my iPhone does already (either Google maps for free or TomTom app for about £25). If they made it about £200 I'd be all over it for the sheer convenience but at £500 they can jump...

Reactions: DJAlix
You think the initial cost is high? Try a SD Nav maps data update:

Car Firmware Update + MMI Firmware Update + New SD Card + Dealer Time = £400... for a maps update?!!!!

Audi really dropped the ball with the SD Nav option and the Basic MMI if you ask me. The colour DIS has a higher resolution lol