Is it safe to wax without claying/alternatives?

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Sorry for the post that is meant to be in the detailing section, but theres way more audience on this thread and I know i'll get a good response

:sign dontfeedmods:

2 months ago I had an incident in the rain with road works that splattered tar up my car like mud, and it took a whole 1L bottle of Trix to remove! Long story short, it also removed my rust spots (oxidation is the right term yes?) from the train ride over from the factory. So I decided to wax it too after that was done...
Only 2 months on, the car hasn't had many miles put on it, driven in the rain probably once and there is no tar - but my water isn't beading anymore and the wax seems to have worn off, so i would like to wax it again sometime when it's an overcast day (not hard in Britain) but I don't want to spend hours and hours when the car is fine.

Theres no point prepping the paint again as theres just no contaminants, so i'm just wanting to know if it's safe to wax it again? I know that sounds silly, but I don't know if technically you could wipe dirt and anything else all around the paint when waxing it without prepping, my car hasn't got a swirl mark and I want to keep it that way, so even if it's a stupid question at least I know i'll be safe or not safe!

Cheers for the replies.

Oh, P.S - of course i'll wash it first before I wax it, I don't want to make out I'm asking if I can wax it when it's dirty as that'd be just silly :p

Someone might have a different opinion but yes i would say its fine to do (and do it on my car a lot)

Long as the paint is smooth to the touch and doesn't feel rough

Someone might have a different opinion but yes i would say its fine to do (and do it on my car a lot)

Long as the paint is smooth to the touch and doesn't feel rough

Just checked as its clean sitting in the garage, paint is as smooth as glass still so yeah just re wax :)

Ive re applied wax to my car for the 2nd time aswell and all i done was wash and dry and check there wasnt any tar spots on it. Its turned out good and the water beads again :yahoo:

Many people wash and wax their cars and have never heard of claying or tar removal so it won't damage the car as long as it's clean first.

In your case it may be that the wax has just come off over time and needs to be redone as some don't last as long as others. Personally I use Collinite 476 as it beads for ages. Still needs a periodic wash though.

I clay once a year and wax twice a year with Collinite which still beads after 6 months.

Should be OK, but give it a good wash and dry first. I only clay mine twice a year and if it's been garaged then little chance of contaminants in the paint

After waxing, suggest applying a sealant - something like Menzerna Power Lock Polymer sealant is very good, had excellent results using that.

If theres nothing to remove by claying then it's fine to wax again. What wax do you use?

After waxing, suggest applying a sealant - something like Menzerna Power Lock Polymer sealant is very good, had excellent results using that.

Consensus seems to be seal then wax. That's what I do.

I started typing "wax before" into Google and got some interesting autofill suggestions - just don't try it at work......

I think if you use a good wax like Collinite and top it up before the car needs rewaxing you can get away with a good wash. Last time I cleaned it properly there was no tar or much picked up by the clay bar as the wax was still on the car as it lasts so long.

I top up the wax/sealant on my paint regularly, and by that it can be weekly or bi-weekly but I don't touch the car with a wash mitt at all during the winter. Clay it once a year and my paintwork stay swirl free and glossy!

I've never sealed and put wax on top as part of a detail. It's either or for me. In essence they both do the same thing. Depending on brands used they can both last as long as each other.

If you want something fast to try can recommend Gtechniq C2V3. Spray on, wipe off. Or less durable but as quick Britemax Spray and Shine. I use the Britemax once a month on the wife's car. Beads a treat. I spray it on the wet car before drying.