BKD poor cold start

WALTO TDI

Reaction score
Hi all, please help me!!
I've noticed that my a3 is struggling to start when cold. Sometimes it will fire up straight away others it will take 2 times, with the first try hitting about 500rpm then dying. I noticed also that when it does start it looks to give out some dark grey smoke.
Could this possibly be heater plug problems? I have a new set here how easy are they to fit?

It's an 07 plate with 95k on. Coolant and oil levels ok.

Any help appreciated
Cheers guys

If I had to guess I'd say glow plugs...but I have also read the car doesn't use the glow plugs at temperatures 5 degrees C or above so not sure.

Scan it with VCDS see if that throws anything...glow plugs usually throw up a code.

could the glow plugs be wearing just enough to cause this but not see a fault with VDS? i havent scanned it yet as i dont have the tool. Plus the car is SORN at the moment. anyone local willing to scan it for me??

cheers

I had intermittent starting on my A3 albeit a petrol for a year owning the car. I always used She'll Nitro +. Since trying almost everything to fix the cold starting, I found that once I tried Esso Supreme fuel my cold starts are no longer. Do u use the Diesel variant of Shell Nitro?
Worth a try, won't cost u anything to change fuel supplier

Glow plugs will give an error, starter motor and battery won't. I would scan with VCDS, then try another battery if scan throws no errors.

firstly check wat coolant temp reading you have when cars running and at normal operating temp,its probably coolant sensor or cam timing slightly out...you need check with vcds the 'torsion value' when cars hot.

Bkd engines are common to have poor starts . replacing the glow plugs would be good and you can also get a remap done to include a 'hot start' fix. Generic remaps are able to do this and a reputable company is black smoke. Iv remapped using their maps and my car starts easily now