A3 cabrio

wideboybloke

Reaction score
While my sportback has its first service/oil change, I've been given a cabrio as a courtesy car. I thought I'd have it for just the day but my car has been kept at the dealer overnight in connection with another problem, so we took the cabrio for a spin this evening with the hood down. It's a great car! (And of course now my wife wants one).

I've never felt able to justify the extra cost and limited usability of a convertible, but having had one for a day I can see the attraction. Rear passenger room is rather restricted, but as a 2-seater with occasional rear passengers for short journeys it would work. In the sort of weather we've been having down south this week it would be a load of fun. I was surprised at how roomy the boot is given that the hood folds into part of it.

I won't be buying one, but I've certainly enjoyed the experience of living with it for a couple of days.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Snibo and Relliott6879
We love ours. As you say, the rear passenger space isn't exactly palatial, but you can get a pair of adults back there without requiring them to be contortionists or the front seat occupants moving uncomfortably close to the dash. As a childless couple who occasionally give lifts to friends or family, it works perfectly for us.

Reactions: Snibo and Blackwhite
I see you have the 1.6 tdi too. That's what this courtesy car is. I'm not a fan of diesel, but this engine is no slouch and with the hood down the noise is not intrusive. The last courtesy car I had in April was a 1.6 tdi and I didn't expect too much from it, but was pleasantly surprised. I posted about it at at the time

Reactions: Relliott6879
Power-wise, I think the best way I could sum it up would be to say that it's 'perfectly adequate'. Yes, there have been situations where I'd appreciate a little more torque, but for the most part it's just fine for the driving I do. I've seen 125 MPH out of it on the Autobahn too, purely to see what it would do, but realistically I don't tend to drive much above 90ish, even on unrestricted roads. As you say, the noise level (or lack of it) is fine with the roof down, we plan to drive from Glasgow down to Burnley tomorrow with the hood folded... if the weather is kind to us!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Power-wise, I think the best way I could sum it up would be to say that it's 'perfectly adequate'. Yes, there have been situations where I'd appreciate a little more torque, but for the most part it's just fine for the driving I do. I've seen 125 MPH out of it on the Autobahn too, purely to see what it would do, but realistically I don't tend to drive much above 90ish, even on unrestricted roads. As you say, the noise level (or lack of it) is fine with the roof down, we plan to drive from Glasgow down to Burnley tomorrow with the hood folded... if the weather is kind to us!

One day I would love to get over to Germany and drive on the autobahn! :wub:

Reactions: JohnM100
Love ours too, find it a whole lot less stressful when stuck in traffic and arrive at your destination feeling a lot better. Although it's been close to putting the roof back up in this weather

Driving over Snake Pass with the roof down and the heater on, with Apple Music giving me the Doors Light my Fire and Jimmy Hendrix Hey Joe blasting out over the B&O system made me appreciate life!!

I had to give it back today, but we were able to enjoy it during the sunny weather over the weekend. My wife wants one now!

On a slightly different subject, I noticed that there are subtle differences in the bodywork from the sportback - apart from the fact that it's a cabrio, of course. The 3 things I spotted were a seam running round the edge of the wheel arches, the fuel tank flap is forward of the rear wheel rather than behind it and the fog light recesses are a seamless part of the front bumper whereas on my s line, they have a seam around them as though they are inserts. The cabrio was an s line too, by the way.

Oh - and the other point I wanted to mention is that both my wife and I thought the suspension was OK, when we tnought we were dead against sport or s line suspension. On the details for the car, there was no mention of any change to the suspension, so we must assume it was s line. It wasn't at all uncomfortable - more a matter of firm as opposed to hard.

Yes I think the cabrio is based on the saloon which is slightly different (a little longer) than the SB.

Since getting my sportback back, I have also realised that the cabrio s line doesn't have the fake air vents immediately behind the fog light recesses on the side of the front bumper. I love those - decoration pure and simple.