Turbo blown advice needed

imz

Reaction score
Ok so got the pop sound followed by smoke bellowing out of exhaust and then car cut out on busy main road with traffic island causing havoc.

Anyhow AA finally turned up and diagnosed a blown turbo although I was worried it was oil pump - glad it wasn't. I've sourced a remanufactured turbo unless anyone can recommend where to get it from.

It's a 55 plate BLB engine 110K on clock and I was thinking what can I do to prevent the dreaded oil pump failure as I don't want to spend the money on turbo and then the oil pump fail down the line. So can anyone point me in the direction of the kit I need for the oil pump to prevent it from seizing or is it unlikely to as it hasn't until now?

Still need the garage to strip the car to analyse the extent of the damage before I decide if it's worth repairing.

Thanks

One thing I forgot to mention is engine won't start - have I ******** that as well?

As gazwould says kmb direct for the upgraded oil pump kit.

Do yourself a favour and don't try starting the car again! Just get it towed to a good garage that you trust and go from there. I doubt anyone can give you solid sound advice without seeing the car in the flesh with regards to further damage caused by the turbo imploding.

Oooo no, don't try staring the engine. If the turbo has terminated you may have some metal shrapnel circulating the engine doing all kinds of damage. Until the turbo has been taken off the car and inspected don't turn it all. Hopefully the turbo is intact, in which case a new one can be fitted without totally dismantling the engine.

Finally car got checked and it seems there was a hydraulic lock but engine has now been started and no obvious signs of problems so will go ahead and get turbo replaced.

Any recommendations on where to source a turbo from?

Also a lot of ads appear to advertise turbos for BLB engine but then say it's part number 038 145 702K, whereas mine is 038 145 702G, is this a superseded part number for the G?

Thanks guys

Finally car got checked and it seems there was a hydraulic lock but engine has now been started and no obvious signs of problems so will go ahead and get turbo replaced.

Any recommendations on where to source a turbo from?

Also a lot of ads appear to advertise turbos for BLB engine but then say it's part number 038 145 702K, whereas mine is 038 145 702G, is this a superseded part number for the G?

Thanks guys
Good to hear. Yes I'd say that's a superseded part number, any doubts just get a quote from your audi dealer to replace it and the parts will be listed on the quotation

Hey guys got the turbo from Essex turbos, thanks Soot1. I'm finally back on the road and the car feels better than ever.

Thanks guys.