Drive select - dynamic = sport??

DanS38V

Reaction score
Ok so I've tried searching for an answer on this and looking through the manual but I can't find anything so hopefully somebody will be able to help.

Having decided to play around with the drive select modes today for pretty much the first time since collection day, I noticed that when I change into dynamic mode it goes into sport (ie you can hear the change in engine sound, it holds the revs higher and has an 'S' next to the gear number on the DIS).

Is this normal? I'd though that unless you select sport mode by pulling back on the gear lever then dynamic should just be regular dynamic, not dynamic + sport? Its not really an issue as I keep in in regular dynamic mode all the time and then just select sport when needed, but it just didn't seem right that it was selecting sport as soon as being put into dynamic.

Thanks

Yes Dynamic = Sport. In Dynamic mode, the steering tightens up, the throttle response improves, if you have mag ride, that auto switches to sport mode, S-Tronic drops into Sport mode (S on the display) and the flaps in the exhaust open. Pulling back on the lever will drop the gearbox into Drive, but leaves everything else in Dynamic mode.

If you are in any of the other modes (Auto, Economy etc), then pulling back on the S-Tronic lever will drop the S-Tronic into S (Sport) mode.

Ok thanks. It surprises me to hear that dynamic + sport is the same as regular dynamic apart from the gearbox, as I feel like I can hear a noticeable change in engine tone when switching from regular dynamic to dynamic + sport whilst idling, although this may just be that it revs higher when idling in sport.

look at tacho at idle, and use the gear shift to select S then D, the rpm in idle in D =900rpm, the rpm in idle in S = 1100rpm, when i set dynamic using drive select with the transmission in D, i did not see the revs rise only when i selected S using the gear stick.

But I have a manual gearbox !

I use the individual settings