Buying with high mileage

Jonny1234

Reaction score
I would like a 2009 a3 2.0 diesel quattro. But the mileage will be between 100k-140k. Due to my budget. Can someone shed some light as to things to look for as to what the car would be needing at that mileage?

I know I obv want full service history. But I would be planning to keep the car at least 50-60k miles and know I will hVe to replace some big parts. But are the engines as solid as some say upto 250k say?

Any experiances with similar and what to look for when buying would be appreciated. I know the basics. I service my own cars.

I bought my 2008 a3 tdi quattro sportback this year with only 49000 on the clock. So they are out there to be found. I paid 1200 for mine too.

But to answer your questions I'm not too sure what would need looking over or that. I just know to look for rust, oil drips etc etc. Usual stuff lol

Reactions: Jonny1234
I would guess £1200 was a mistake. Although not the same, I have a 2.0tdi 2010 A3 sport back as temporary car that is ex company lease and at 93k it still drives beautifully. It does have full history and has been used by a woman from new so not had a hard life.

They key I would say is good history and a car that has been a motorway mile muncher, much easier on the car sitting at 70/80 on smooth motorways with little use on brakes, clutch, gearbox, suspension or getting in and out, off and on like you'd get with town cars.

Normally a quick drive to see how tight it all feels and a look at the trim to see how worn it is along with a check for motortway roadrash on the bumper is a good indicator of a motorway car.

if you want a car to survive 250k better go for 1.9TDI. 2-litre ones are not so reliable. I had few Passats with 1.9TDI with one kept until 170k and no engine issues ever. I also had one 2.0TDI and had few issues unfortunately.