Washer Jet direction correction

Hear-Vier

B5 then a B8.5
Reaction score
Back in June when the S4 had its first service it was returned with one of the washer jets pointing the wrong way (the jets were perfectly ok beforehand). It is the one on the far right and now hits the right hand side windscreen pillar, and the water then dribbles down the driver's window. Reading elsewhere on here suggests the fix is to reposition it using a pin to jiggle the jet around. With a bit of trial and error to get the optimum angle. Rather than risk asking the dealer to fix it again (and probably break something else in the process!) can anyone advise if it is as simple as that or any pitfalls to avoid?

What age is the vehicle, I have a B8.5 2015MY and it has fan spray style jets and not the old point spray versions, adjusting them is not as easy as putting a pin as it used to be.

If its the old style, use a pin to direct the spray. The jets essentially have a ball bearing nozzle with a hole in it and you can direct it anywhere you like with the pin. Essentially, roughly where the pin points the washer jet points, its a simple design.

670px Adjust Hood Mounted Windshield Washer Nozzles Step 3

Yeah newer versions as above, spray fan need an alan key to change the height, but direction is fixed, older ball type also as above with a needle or pin :)

Thanks both. It's a B8.5 built Aug-14. The jets are suspended under the bonnet as in this picture. Old style, right?

Attachments

• WP_20150813_18_25_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150813_18_25_22_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 679
Looks like it yeh.

I was wondering after mine gave a pathetic 3 puddles on the windscreen the other day if its an easy retrofit to swap to fan ones, and given they're on the newer cars I would suspect so. The wife's new Leon has the same 3 single jets and there's a popular swapout to fan nozzles from another model thats about £20 and 10 minutes work. Might have to do a bit of digging to find part numbers.

Assuming yours are fans, dont suppose you could get the part number off them could you? :)

A half decent camera phone is often better for closeup stuff like that than even good eyes!

Thanks, the parts they recommend don't really work that well though. I ordered those part numbers for my wife's Leon so I could also try them. On the S4 they can't be adjusted high enough and on the drivers side the washer jet hits the wiper arm when at its lowest position so not ideal at all. I've seen some other part numbers mentioned on a Russian Audi forum (4G8 955 987 A and 4G8 955 988 A as listed for certain A7s, and also 4G0 variants from the A6) that specifically mentioned the incompatibility of the 5MO versions above, but it seems VAG have the same part numbers with both fan and jet washers as I've seen photos of fan and jet nozzles both with the same 4G0 and 4G8 part number on so can't be confident about ordering anything at the moment. :/

I was hoping @GeoffDunk might be able to give us a part number, not sure he's seen my PM or not though :)

Last edited:
I took mine off a Passat at a breakers.
The fan did not cover the screen as good as the jets so I put the jets back on.

Yep I think the ones I mentioned above which are often used as an upgrade on SEATs and A3s etc are the Passat ones.

Just did the pins on mine as in the picture posted, even unblocked one that has never sprayed in the 2 years of ownership.
I just used a sewing pin, used it to move the nozels around then sprayed inbetween to see where it was hitting, 2 minute job and done.