1.9 TDI Timing Belt Question

Dakes55

Reaction score
I'm about to change my timing belt and waterpump on my 2002 A4 B6 1.9 TDI Avant, I've watched a few youtube videos on doing this but have a question about the camshaft pulley, I noticed that the three bolts with adjustable slots have to be loosened to get the belt off but what happens when putting it back together and putting the tension on the belt, does it have to be put back exactly where it was, do I need to mark the position before loosening the bolts, the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking the wrong position might affect the cam timing, I've done loads of timing belts over the years but not one on the 1.9 TDI PD, any thoughts on this please

If you have access to VCDS you can check the cam timing & adjust using the camshaft pulley.
Initially I would mark the bolt positions.

You will need vcds as mention as any tiny movement of that pulley results in a great amount of adjustment of the +/- angle.

When I did mines im not sure if I managed to get the belt off and on without touching those 3 bolts.

If I recall once I released the tension on the belt it came off OK.

I think I'll try and do it without loosening the pulley bolts then.

The crank and cam need to be locked so the timing can't go out.the cam bolts need to be loosened so the belt can be tensioned correctly this is the only way to do pd belts. If in doubt get help from someone in the know.