A4 B6 Avant clutch judder

Dakes55

Reaction score
I've recently bought this car and slowly working my way through all it's problems, the problem I'm trying to resolve at the moment is clutch judder, sometimes it's pretty bad and other times it's not, I can rule out the clutch as it's recently had a new one, I've been looking at the engine mounts but they look ok, it seems this is a common problem on these cars, has anyone managed to pin it down and find out what causes this problem

Did it have a new flywheel too?Many would renew both cos the flywheel can cause juddering

Did it have a new flywheel too?Many would renew both cos the flywheel can cause juddering
I'm not sure,the guy I bought it from told me it had a new clutch which I can well believe as the biting point is just off the floor, one thing I did notice was the clutch pedal is very much lower than the brake pedal, I don't know if the flywheel was changed.

I've been battling this same problem for a while. I have new clutch, new DMF, new engine mounts and new snub mount. Next up for me is gearbox mount!

I've been battling this same problem for a while. I have new clutch, new DMF, new engine mounts and new snub mount. Next up for me is gearbox mount!
So you have had all that work done and still have the vibration problem, I can't afford to go down that road, reading other forums it seems to be a common problem but no one seems to have come up with a solution to fix it, did you check the subframe mountings.
So far the possible causes are DM Flywheel, oil on the clutch plate,broken engine mountings, broken gearbox mounting, worn subframe mountings, split / crack in subframe, worn snub mount, if all of these have been checked or replaced and the judder is still there then what else could there be that's causing it??

Mine seems to have been effected a bit when I changed my engine mounts, so I'm hoping it is the gearbox mount!

I also found a thread where some guy had exact same problem as me on his petrol A4. Turned out to be his coilpack and spark plugs. Of course not on a diesel, but there is a common problem of the injector loom failing causing the injectors to not function correctly leading to judder.

Mine seems to have been effected a bit when I changed my engine mounts, so I'm hoping it is the gearbox mount!

I also found a thread where some guy had exact same problem as me on his petrol A4. Turned out to be his coilpack and spark plugs. Of course not on a diesel, but there is a common problem of the injector loom failing causing the injectors to not function correctly leading to judder.

My engine is running ok and has no misfires so I can rule that one out, I've experienced similar clutch judder on old school cars years ago and 99% of the time it was oil on the clutch plate! but mine has a new clutch! I'm just finding this really weird as this judder has been a known common problem for a long time yet no one has managed to figure out what's causing it.

My engine is running ok and has no misfires so I can rule that one out, I've experienced similar clutch judder on old school cars years ago and 99% of the time it was oil on the clutch plate! but mine has a new clutch! I'm just finding this really weird as this judder has been a known common problem for a long time yet no one has managed to figure out what's causing it.

Are you sure your engine mounts are ok? If they are the originals they will definitely require changing. Mine didn't look too bad, one even looked quite new but the difference after I fitted a new set was unreal. That may be your problem. Im hoping mine is the gearbox mount. Will find out soon!

Well mines been getting worse, also not letting me select gears. So its going in for a replacement clutch/DMF in 2 weeks! :)