S Tronic - Gear Leaver upgrade

V6 Quatt

Reaction score
:wink:After much research and deliberation from looking on the Audizine forums. I decided to finally bite the bullet and do the upgraded s-tronic gear leaver mod....but with a difference, I thought it was too risky to do the heated twist task as I have heard nightmare stories of the plastic snapping or not fitting on right when turned 90 degrees!! I was even advised that if the twist modification is done it may snap over a period of time unexpectedly

My Unit (Stronic) original button hole to the right:

See twist method picture (example) same thing but was on and A3 :

Originally I purchased the whole Stronic (breaking S5) unit and a brand new perforated s-tronic gear stick leaver from the Audi A3 (which looks just as good as the RS leaver ) I had these sitting in my shed for a while as a list of things to do!!

So then last week I had car booked in to do the twist and then the night before the install I woke up in panic, thinking...what if it snaps!!! I wont be able to move / drive the car too risky

So as I decided to get my old one removed and install the complete unit with the lever and stick pointing the correct way.

Feels so much better and looks much better too happy with the finished mod

So as a result here are the pics installed:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Attachments

• wink[1].png
    wink[1].png
    753 bytes · Views: 159
Reactions: xpoweruk
Looks great. I really want to do that as the S Tronic stick looks so dated (Like 1998 Passat!) but like you I'm too sensible to do the twist method. Did you need to do any recoding when you swapped the shift mechanism and how was it to remove/refit?

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Not had 1 snap on me as yet when I've fitted my mod :)

Did an RS6 of late, an R8 before that, all as per my original advisories, its a patient mod, cant be rushed & must be checked measurements wise, if all done correctly it will last as long as the car.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
If you manage that from this mod, I'll do it for free lol.

Whereabouts are you Benjie?

Well I can do it in that area with other jobs if you ever wanted :)

Pm if of interest.