Meguiar's Tyre Polish

I

Ignition1

In case you were looking for something to bring the black back to your tyres, this stuff is da bomb.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...rs-endurance-high-gloss-tyre-protection-473ml

I put it on all four tyres a few weeks ago - mostly on the side wall but also half of the tyre surface - and they're still black and a bit shiny. I keep forgetting to take photos but I'll try get some before and after photos, with a month in between.

At this rate that 473ml bottle will last a year, you barely need to use much of it to get the desired effect. Bit worried about it's effect on tyre grip but haven't noticed anything yet.

+1

Been using this stuff for years, takes about 5 mins to apply and last for 1-2 months

I only ever apply it to the tyre side wall as the product does warn against using on the tread itself

+1

Been using this stuff for years, takes about 5 mins to apply and last for 1-2 months

I only ever apply it to the tyre side wall as the product does warn against using on the tread itself

Ah! Need to read the instructions next time!

Are we talking about the gel?as l ain't heard of the Polish from Maguires?

Isn't this the stuff that gives tyres a brown tinge after a while?

It's OK. There is better out there though

Reactions: grchmason
Yeah the gel, never heard of it making tyres brown though

Isn't this the stuff that gives tyres a brown tinge after a while?

It's OK. There is better out there though

100% Agree I much prefer water based as it does not damage the tyres drying them out.... Zaino Z16..... best I have used.

Reactions: Pulp84
I would recommend it too. I have used it for a while now maybe over a year defiantly a great product.

Yeah the gel, never heard of it making tyres brown though
Use it for 12-18 months and it will turn the rubber an off brown/black colour. I also find it to be messy stuff. It takes a long time to dry too as if driven a couple hours after application it can leave a lot of flecks up the doors and arches.

Washing the sidewalls can help avoid the browning but I personally have found better (after swearing by it for a couple of years).

Angelwax Elixir is worth a look....

Last edited:
I prefer to wash the tyres just the same as the body. Citrus pre-wash, jetwash, shampoo, jetwash, dry.
That seems to keep them nice and black and clean but not shiny. I don't really like the tyres black and shiny - think it looks a bit chavvy :blahblah1:

Reactions: Pulp84
I prefer to wash the tyres just the same as the body. Citrus pre-wash, jetwash, shampoo, jetwash, dry.
That seems to keep them nice and black and clean but not shiny. I don't really like the tyres black and shiny - think it looks a bit chavvy :blahblah1:

I always wash my tyres as well however after drying they turn that shade of grey/brown. I add a little bit of Meguair's gel to make it black - the shine disappears quite quickly but the tyres remain black - which is the main thing for me. Not fussed about the shine, though it does look good in the sun.

Use it for 12-18 months and it will turn the rubber an off brown/black colour. I also find it to be messy stuff. It takes a long time to dry too as if driven a couple hours after application it can leave a lot of flecks up the doors and arches.

Washing the sidewalls can help avoid the browning but I personally have found better (after swearing by it for a couple of years).

Angelwax Elixir is worth a look....

I always wash my tyres mate, in the same way as the car. I've got round it being messy and flicking up everywhere too. I use the meguires tyre gel applicator although that probably doesn't make any difference but once applied evenly (and fairly thinly) around the tyre I then go round the tyre with a clean micro fibre, kind of as if I am buffing off polish (or rubbing in depending on how u look at it), either way it removes any excess. Tyres stay nice and shiny and black for weeks (well I clean it every 2 weeks so not sure how much longer it will last) and don't get any gel spray up the sides :) I've used the stuff for about 3 years now - only gone through 2 bottles mind, 2 and a have years of which on my last car and the tyres on that never went brown (thankfully) - I may look into a different product if I do start to notice my tyres going brown, will be on the lookout. Cheers for the heads up :)