Gearbox Help - Can't select gears

Chrismawa

Reaction score
My A4 has an intermittent problem of not going into gear. Sometimes it will change gears ok but then sometimes 1st and 2nd are totally impossible to find. 4th also refuses to engage sometimes. I am also getting crunching between changes sometimes.

Car has had a new clutch kit and a replacement slave cylinder due to it leaking. The linkages have been checked and they are ok. Do you think it will be the box knackered? and time for a second hand replacement?

Car is undriveable at the moment as at any time I could stop at a junction and be unable to select 1st.

Any help would be great thanks.

Seems so.Will it select if the engine is off?

I know its very hesitant and stiff when engine is off. I haven't tried it with the engine off when it is refusing to go into gear. Ill try check that out tomorrow. I'm guessing if it doesn't do it with engine off its not the box? If that's the case then what could it be?

Clutch is faulty? Or not enough oil or wrong grade oil. Was box OK before clutch replacement?

Clutch has just been replaced under warranty as last one givin me judder so shouldnt be that.

Nah it was doin it before clutch change. Gearbox oil changed for correct audi spec 6 months ago.

Just checked with engine off and its playing up then as well.

Gearbox? Master cylinder??

From what I've been reading on the net it could well be the Clutch Master cylinder as other symptoms I've noticed are biting point has dropped lower and I can feel vibrating through the clutch pedal.

This will be getting changed next!

You s/b able to change gear easily without the clutch when the engine is off.Biting point is lower after a new clutch

Biting point yes should be lower but it wasnt this low when I had a replacement last year, the bites just off the floor. Also for the first so much of the pedal travel the pedal does nothing. Pumping the pedal a couple of times and it then goes into gear. I think this points to the master cylinder needing replaced.

Biting point yes should be lower but it wasnt this low when I had a replacement last year, the bites just off the floor. Also for the first so much of the pedal travel the pedal does nothing. Pumping the pedal a couple of times and it then goes into gear. I think this points to the master cylinder needing replaced.

I think your on the right path with the master pal.

if you can clamp the line and see how the pedal responds you should be able to tell,

have a look around the pedal area for any fluid leaks

Reactions: Chrismawa
Cheers mate yeah I think it is that. Tried to have a look around pedal but couldnt see much need to have another look with lower panel removed.

If i clamp it what should the outcome be if it was goosed or working ok?

wen clamped ok you should have a solid pedal mate,

if the pedal still goes down its usally the master at fault,

Reactions: Chrismawa
Thanks mate will give it a try. Is it the hose that comes from the reservoir and goes into the firewall?

you have lost pressure in the system mate, { you pumping the pedal returns it }

if it was the slave I would think your box would be filling up with fluid?? any leaks?

the master can leak past the seals and still hold fluid but wont bulid enough pressure for you to engage gear

Either above or your clutch slave has not been bled properly after new clutch was fitted!

Reactions: S3-LINCS
Yeah its defo one of those 2! Its going to the garage next week to first try bleeding system properly. If that doesnt do it they will replace the master cylinder.

Cheers for your help lads.

I have a reverse bleeding kit for the slave cylinder. Works much better than trying to bleed normally.
Hopefully it something easy and a cheap fix!

Had a similar problem back in my LandRovering days - thought the gearbox was dead (not renowned for their longevity). New slave cylinder fixed it. Within weeks the master had gone too. My learning? Change both - I guess it's the same with the Audi.

Well been to garage. They checked the clutch system pressure and its was working fine. After inspection and diagnosis it is the gearbox thats gone. So looks like I need a second hand box. I think the A4s days are numbered as its just cost me a fortune since I've owned it :(

Is this the same garage that fitted the clutch ? seems strange how pumping the clutch pedal resolves the problem if its the box.

Doesn't ring true .I would get another opinion

I would get someone i know and trust to help me bleed the clutch and see if i could get a better pedal then try the box, sod the garages.