Least problematic engine

joncro

Reaction score
Hi chaps, just sold my A4 2.0tdi auto, although the car has been reliable im now only doing 8k miles per year and fancy something with a bit more poke. What is the general opinion on the best/most reliable petrol engine Audi offer?

4.2 V8! I wonder why I said that :yes:

No poxy DPF, turbo or rubber cambelt to worry about, just 8 pistons going up and down in an effortless manner.

Dont they suffer from streched timing chains, and thats a massive job i heard? Does S4 state a towing limit in the manual soot? Would love a big v8 just that i imagine the parts are rather pricey.

Timing chain issues show up as soon as you start the engine unlike a rubber one. Towing limits are in the Handbook, 1850 kilos from memory. Parts are just as pricey as a normal Audi but there are more of them of course. I'm lucky as I drive it once a week and as an old git I get cheap insurance. Tax is £290 a year.

a lot of chaps will say that all the engines have issues and some have way more issues than others, all comes down to what you are looking to get from an engine, if your like saving pennies on fuel bills then stick with a diesel, if fuel consumption is only a lesser consideration then V8 is great, but so is the 2.0tfsi in tuned form, its your choice chap, somepeople love the V8 other hate it, same applies to the tfsi, love them or hate them only you can make the final choice.

Forget the S4, cant afford one of those!
Now you've moved the goal posts. So the question is which is the cheapest and also most reliable engine:tongueout:

What about the 1.8 t, I hear they're highly tuneable

Tbh you're in the wrong place to ask this sort of question as forums will always bring up issues with what ever car/engine you buy!

years ago before the web, people just went out and bought the car they were looking for and went from there, now with so much info readily to hand on everything inc the kitchen sink its a different game alltogether, sometimes you can have to much info which just makes choices a darn site more difficult.
I still tend to buy something that i like and want then worry about the problems afterwards, but then i'm old school .

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro and joncro