Headunit recommendations. Please :)

Hi

Not sure on your budget mate. I went through this 6 months ago when I bought mine. It had a double din symphony (non-Bose speakers/amp) but I wanted Sat Nav. After reading that the genuine Audi units aren't much copp, I went for this, £240 ish from a UK seller in Liverpool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251514794932

Great looking as it similar to the original Audi unit and has everything you need, DVD, SatNav, Rev Camera etc etc. I got a local recommended fella to fit it and it sounds the nuts, no problems with the amps or sub either. Also, radio reception is fine. The ONLY downside is that when the sat nav is running, there is a bit of a lag sometimes when you press a button or adjust the volume but I've found that if you come away from the map screen temporarily then it's fine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Hi

Not sure on your budget mate. I went through this 6 months ago when I bought mine. It had a double din symphony (non-Bose speakers/amp) but I wanted Sat Nav. After reading that the genuine Audi units aren't much copp, I went for this, £240 ish from a UK seller in Liverpool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251514794932

Great looking as it similar to the original Audi unit and has everything you need, DVD, SatNav, Rev Camera etc etc. I got a local recommended fella to fit it and it sounds the nuts, no problems with the amps or sub either. Also, radio reception is fine. The ONLY downside is that when the sat nav is running, there is a bit of a lag sometimes when you press a button or adjust the volume but I've found that if you come away from the map screen temporarily then it's fine.

Bingo Marky M,

Something like this is just what im going to get. Ive also been searching on ebay and found lots of similar unbranded ones. Im going to take the risk as im fairly technical with having a good old play with them (not installing though)

Some others, literally have all the knobs, bells and whistles!

Thanks for the input.

Yeah I'm quite gutted it hasn't got a DAB radio.

Showing you in the car

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    689.6 KB · Views: 312
That does look interesting. Is the sound output better than oem Symphony style ones? And is it a direct slot in or does it need a facia or any new wires ?

Dr Evil, once you play about with the equaliser (especially the loudness for the sub) it sounds banging to be fair, I love my bassline!! I'm sure it did slot straight in, you don't need the loom it comes with. Also have a usb cable going into the glovebox to charge my iPhone. You can also play your phones music via the usb or Bluetooth.

Carlcall, the navigation works well but I haven't needed to update it yet as only 6 months old. Quite sure http://www.iceboxauto.com/ supply updates though, which is where I bought it. As I said previously, the ONLY drawback is the lag when you press a button ie adjust the volume when you're using the SatNav. To remedy it, I've found if you come out of the sat nav quickly, press what you've gotta press and go back into the SatNav, it works fine. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: carlcall
Dr Evil, once you play about with the equaliser (especially the loudness for the sub) it sounds banging to be fair, I love my bassline!! I'm sure it did slot straight in, you don't need the loom it comes with. Also have a usb cable going into the glovebox to charge my iPhone. You can also play your phones music via the usb or Bluetooth.

Carlcall, the navigation works well but I haven't needed to update it yet as only 6 months old. Quite sure http://www.iceboxauto.com/ supply updates though, which is where I bought it. As I said previously, the ONLY drawback is the lag when you press a button ie adjust the volume when you're using the SatNav. To remedy it, I've found if you come out of the sat nav quickly, press what you've gotta press and go back into the SatNav, it works fine. Hope this helps.

Do you still get that lag with steering wheel controls changing volume ?

Jeez, we've got 2 Doctors on this post!

Dr Evil, meet Dr Strange!:tearsofjoy:

Had a look at ice box auto and they sell quite a few different models. Quite like the look of the A6964 model. http://www.iceboxauto.com/audi-a4s4rs4-2002-2008-android-444-a6964

I decided to go for this one as preferred the looks, hope it works ok! Went through ebay which is more expensive than direct (as they need to pay ebay fees), but for the next few hours ebay has a 20% off code, max £50 so ended up saving over going direct. Will report back once fitted!

Reactions: DrStrange
I have fitted the same head unit today...pleased for the most part! Will update after a few hours use!

Decided that DAB isn't as important to me as being able to stream spotify from my android phone or being able to add a 3G sim and play it directly through the Bose. Will look at this other RNS style, but keep reading the boot times on the android stereos are terrible but it's hard to get everything :)

Tooty_Fruity, that link may be the one I go for, ticks all the boxes but wondered if anybody has experience with one?

Last edited:
As in the one I listed? Is it an easy install?
Yep purchased from icebox too.

Install wasn't too difficult - i removed glovebox to run the USB and A pillar to run the GPS. The biggest challenge is fitting the mass of cables behind the headunit after wiring it up - mine isn't perfect so going to redo it. Instructions aren't great, but you can't really go wrong as the connectors only fit in one way!

I have noticed that the plastic is slightly lighter than the audi standard, but it's not too bad!

Yep purchased from icebox too.

Install wasn't too difficult - i removed glovebox to run the USB and A pillar to run the GPS. The biggest challenge is fitting the mass of cables behind the headunit after wiring it up - mine isn't perfect so going to redo it. Instructions aren't great, but you can't really go wrong as the connectors only fit in one way!

I have noticed that the plastic is slightly lighter than the audi standard, but it's not too bad!
great, that's good to know. If I go wrong, do you mind if I pm you!

Love your signature Jespy!

I may just copy it in the future

Dan.

Got my HU through the post just yesterday so am aiming to install this weekend. Has a pretty basic manual, but nowt on installation. Never changed a HU before so hopefully its straightforward enough.

Any idea if as I have factory fit bluetooth phone - do I have to change the mic etc to the new one or can I leave the old one in place?

Jespy did you run the GPS up the passenger side A pillar?

I have a Dynavin aftermarket head unit and that is slow to respond as well. I guess these aftermarket units are all generic and a bit badge engineering going on.
igo.primo have map updates for lots of aftermarket sat navs.

Got my HU through the post just yesterday so am aiming to install this weekend. Has a pretty basic manual, but nowt on installation. Never changed a HU before so hopefully its straightforward enough.

Any idea if as I have factory fit bluetooth phone - do I have to change the mic etc to the new one or can I leave the old one in place?

Jespy did you run the GPS up the passenger side A pillar?

Did you go for the one you posted? I think I'm gonna go for it, let me know how it is please ☺

Did you go for the one you posted? I think I'm gonna go for it, let me know how it is please ☺
Yes, went for the one I linked to, going to try and install at the weekend so will let you know.

Last edited:
Hmm, I seem to be failing at the first hurdle. Can get the radio out. Fit a set of keys, push them in until you hear it pressing against the metal spring. Left hand side seems to be willing to come out a little but right won't budge.humph.

I had this problem and I was able to get my hand around the back to give it a little extra push......but it was exceptionally tight.

I had this problem and I was able to get my hand around the back to give it a little extra push......but it was exceptionally tight.

Tight like the rear end of the lady on your Avatar ? :p

Reactions: carlcall
First hurdle completed! My top right pin was a bit bent, so my radio removal tools (which are a bit flimsy and bent anyway) couldn't get round the outside of the tab to push it in. Popped out one of the blanking buttons above it and could see what was going on. So some coaxing with a screwdriver and then pulled it out with some trim removal tools.

Only had a few minutes after that before needed to get on with work but took a look at existing connections and seems like the aerial lead is a funny double lead with block connector where the new one seems more traditional - do I need some kind of additional adapter cable?

You need something along the lines of this.....a Twin Fakra To Single DIN Aerial Adaptor

Ah - ok, cheers. the set I have has I think a single version, not the twin. I'll see how it works on just one (if it will) for now.

Had 30 more mins to muck about so swapped over the HU, wiring was pretty straight forward. Used the single version aerial supplied and it seems to be working fine, CD's fine, Bluetooth phone is fine (haven't had to change the microphone over which was a bonus), sound has been improved.

Need to do GPS and usb cables tomorrow.

Takes a little while to boot up, but not too bad.

One thing that doesn't seem to be right is my rear speakers aren't working. I'm in an estate with stock small amp in the rear which feeds the rear speakers as I understand it. Have I done something wrong or do I need additional connectors, any ideas?

Had 30 more mins to muck about so swapped over the HU, wiring was pretty straight forward. Used the single version aerial supplied and it seems to be working fine, CD's fine, Bluetooth phone is fine (haven't had to change the microphone over which was a bonus), sound has been improved.

Need to do GPS and usb cables tomorrow.

Takes a little while to boot up, but not too bad.

One thing that doesn't seem to be right is my rear speakers aren't working. I'm in an estate with stock small amp in the rear which feeds the rear speakers as I understand it. Have I done something wrong or do I need additional connectors, any ideas?
Sound ur a half amp
Is ur 2 front working but nothing rear ?

Sound ur a half amp
Is ur 2 front working but nothing rear ?
Yep - it's stock set up and non-BOSE so half amp setup in my car as I understand it. Was hoping that it would plug straight in though. Is this a setting issue or wiring?

Front 2 working fine.