Headunit recommendations. Please :)

U will need half amp harness i got mine from halford when i fitting pioneer in mine work a treat

Grumble, the HU came with a couple of harnesses, annoyed one of them hasn't worked. Wonder if I can just add in the missing wires to the one I have or is it not as easy as that?

Grumble, the HU came with a couple of harnesses, annoyed one of them hasn't worked. Wonder if I can just add in the missing wires to the one I have or is it not as easy as that?
No idea
That why i prefer pioneer easy to install than china andriod one

Yep purchased from icebox too.

Install wasn't too difficult - i removed glovebox to run the USB and A pillar to run the GPS. The biggest challenge is fitting the mass of cables behind the headunit after wiring it up - mine isn't perfect so going to redo it. Instructions aren't great, but you can't really go wrong as the connectors only fit in one way!

I have noticed that the plastic is slightly lighter than the audi standard, but it's not too bad!

Jespy, do you have bose set up or half amp out of interest etc?

OK, it's been my bad, my HU did come with all the cables, I just didn't connect them (quick call to ice box and they explained it to me) . There was a set that I thought you only connected if you wanted to do the reverse camera etc, but you connect that and connect some leads between the two cables. Rear speakers now working fine!

Was a fairly easy job to pull the USB connection cables to the glove box and the sat nav behind the glove box to the removable dash panel on the passenger side; didn't actually remove the glove box. Was intending to mount the sat nav receiver in the roof lining, but picking up sat nav OK, so will move that to the non urgent list to do!

At up Nokia here maps as the default navigation app and very happy with that. Put my phone on as hotspot and it picks up traffic, otherwise just does offline navigation. People have also said that MAPS.ME is good so will give that a try at some point.

Might need to get the double fakra cable as radio reception is not quite as good as it used to be (takes longer to find reception after a tunnel, and some cut outs where there never used to be).

Other main tinkering is now to to figure out how to change the mapping of the EQ button (to not cycle the settings but take to to the Amplifier settings page with easy access to the fader) and the fader and EQ default settings etc. (e.g. fader driver setting is left hand drive) and the splash screen.

Other than than those teething issues happy with the device, and everything works really well (including bluetooth and my Automate app on my phone connection (which can be used to text/call/select music via voice when driving), alot of bang for buck and I can park the car audio considerations for now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam reid
OK, it's been my bad, my HU did come with all the cables, I just didn't connect them (quick call to ice box and they explained it to me) . There was a set that I thought you only connected if you wanted to do the reverse camera etc, but you connect that and connect some leads between the two cables. Rear speakers now working fine!

Was a fairly easy job to pull the USB connection cables to the glove box and the sat nav behind the glove box to the removable dash panel on the passenger side; didn't actually remove the glove box. Was intending to mount the sat nav receiver in the roof lining, but picking up sat nav OK, so will move that to the non urgent list to do!

At up Nokia here maps as the default navigation app and very happy with that. Put my phone on as hotspot and it picks up traffic, otherwise just does offline navigation. People have also said that MAPS.ME is good so will give that a try at some point.

Might need to get the double fakra cable as radio reception is not quite as good as it used to be (takes longer to find reception after a tunnel, and some cut outs where there never used to be).

Other main tinkering is now to to figure out how to change the mapping of the EQ button (to not cycle the settings but take to to the Amplifier settings page with easy access to the fader) and the fader and EQ default settings etc. (e.g. fader driver setting is left hand drive) and the splash screen.

Other than than those teething issues happy with the device, and everything works really well (including bluetooth and my Automate app on my phone connection (which can be used to text/call/select music via voice when driving), alot of bang for buck and I can park the car audio considerations for now!

Hi Dr Evil I'm looking to buy the similar one to yours but the RNS-e looking one, was there any difference between that and yours that you noticed?

Wish I came on here more often would've saved hours of searching and researching during work lol to find ice box and the headunit, only stumbled across them by chance following an old thread on here.

Also Dr Evil would you mind checking if the Tom Tom app is downloadable on the unit from the App Store?

Martin1984 you have the unit I wanted to purchase but I believe the navigation software is preinstalled and can't be changed is that correct? Also can you take a few pics of the dial function etc to see how it looks? Which navigation software does it use?

Thanks guys and hope you don't mind.

Hi imz

Not sure exactly which one you mean - do you mean this one http://www.iceboxauto.com/audi-a4s4rs4-2002-2008-7-android-444-a9764a?

I'll take a look about the Tom Tom app later and let you know, but it is a very full play store that is available so I'd be really surprised if it isn't available. I'd also recommend trying the free options I mentioned before you splash on Tom Tom. On my unit you can select which navigation software the NAVI button directs you - not sure if that is the same for all and might depend on the ultimate manufacturer. Now I have mine, I realise Witson are manufacturer and found a thread on another forum with a good review of the same HU as I have - and I think Witson units all have similar setup.

Icebox have been good so far - quickly answering the phone and giving quick advice over the phone - they are also sending me a dual fakra cable which should sort my radio issues, and the logo change was very easy to do.

Yes that's the one I might be ordering today. Just want to ensure its got Tom Tom as I have it on my iPhone and touch wood it's never let me down on warning of a camera though not that I speed anyway. Though I agree other ones are very good and I hear good things about I go and sygic.

How's the unit overall boot we'll and responsive.

I need to do a double din conversion so researching that at same time. Is it worth paying to get this installed or with reasonable knowledge should I be ok? I have fitted usb kits and changed stereos myself in the past.

Mine was a straight double din to double din - so very easy apart from some of my own incompetence (and the first time I've ever swapped a radio, but I'm fairly competent with electrics in general)!

Boot time is around 35 secs - not ideal but it's normally the amount of time it takes to reverse out of my parking space or drive and get going I just put the key in the ignition before I belt in the kid. The unit is easy to operate once moving so that kind of makes up for it.

Unit is very responsive - and I don't have the steering control lag when on Navi that was mentioned earlier in this thread, but the unit I got did have slightly higher internal specs.

Does the info work on the screen in the speedo? You might already have mentioned this but not sure.

Other than that where did you put the gps antenna, does it have to be near the windscreen on the dash?

I'm hoping it's all plug and play thereafter there shouldn't be any wire cutting for me should there that you know of?

Thanks for all your help appreciate it.

Hi Dr Evil I'm looking to buy the similar one to yours but the RNS-e looking one, was there any difference between that and yours that you noticed?

Wish I came on here more often would've saved hours of searching and researching during work lol to find ice box and the headunit, only stumbled across them by chance following an old thread on here.

Also Dr Evil would you mind checking if the Tom Tom app is downloadable on the unit from the App Store?

Martin1984 you have the unit I wanted to purchase but I believe the navigation software is preinstalled and can't be changed is that correct? Also can you take a few pics of the dial function etc to see how it looks? Which navigation software does it use?

Thanks guys and hope you don't mind.

Hi yes the navi is pre installed so dont think you can change it. as for pics of dial fuction ill add in a bit if its any help

Absolutely gutted. I placed the order but the chaps at ice box came back and said even with a double din conversion the stereo won't fit. Does anyone have any info on this or is there a clear guide on a double din conversion available?

Thanks

Absolutely gutted. I placed the order but the chaps at ice box came back and said even with a double din conversion the stereo won't fit. Does anyone have any info on this or is there a clear guide on a double din conversion available?

Thanks
What are you trying to fit m8 and I'll see if I can find the link for conversion

perfect thanks Martin and I imagine everything you needed came in the box from icebox other than the double din?

They seem to think even after I trim the climate on the sides it wont fit in terms of depth and there will be nothing to hold the stereo I will have to glue it??

The centre console needs the rectangle and the little tab cutting and that is all if I am correct?

You did not have any problems did you once you did the conversion with fitting the kit?

Thanks Martin appreciate your help

Looks good but the fold up will mean the cup holder becomes redundant. I don't drive much at all in all honesty Monday to Friday is just to pick my son up from nursery after work so it's about a mile then a little at weekends. So my main reason is when I am driving it tends to be in to the city or up north on the motorway so like to have Tom Tom for camera alerts and hate having to put the iPhone on the dash. Sorry for being long winded but for that reason I wanted an android unit to have Tom Tom on the head unit. But thanks for the suggestion looks nice. Given Martin's fit I can't see any reason why this wouldn't fit if I convert to double din but don't want to chance it.

Imz i didnt buy mine from icebox but i would be shocked if it didnt come with the quad block that is simple plus and play the double din cage i got from my local audi for £54 the other 1 if you remove the glove box first turn off air bay then dont restart car untill its back in place othewise you will end up with a warning light like i did and had to go to a garage to have it cleared.
the 1 you have choose looks fine for fit to me also take your time triming the climate control as you can see from my pics i took too much off.

Ok so the unit is back on order I will get on with ordering the double din cage and keep you guys posted how I get on.

Thanks for all the help gents.

Just one question at the moment below the climate unit at the back of the cubby feels like solid black plastic, does this get cut out for the climate control to slot into there?

Just one question at the moment below the climate unit at the back of the cubby feels like solid black plastic, does this get cut out for the climate control to slot into there?
yes there a small part that come out and needs triming down will be in the instructions on the conversion m8

Another several days, and yet more tinkering - I can now take the radio out in less than 30 seconds - better than the 30 minutes it took me first time round!

New amplified aerial connection came. Have connected it and it improves reception markedly, not as good as the default unit, but I picked up every radio station when I was sitting in the car. Having done a bit of reading I realise this is going to be the case with any aftermarket unit due to the VW way of doing aerials. For anyone following this path, you need to be careful as there is quite a bit of crud out there that doesn't actually do anything useful. Something like this (I got a similar one from my unit retailer) or you can get a single amplified one, but stick to a better brand version.

A bit of configuring that I still want to do - but is all possible (I think). And I didn't realise initially, but the rear speakers are at a lower volume than my fronts. Doesn't bother me much, but can be rectified with something like a PAC SNI-35 (cheap from the US, but cost same again in postage!) which is an easy fix.

That leaves the worse thing as boot time, which I timed yesterday at 33 seconds. There is also some customization that might be able to be done to bring this down.

By the end of the weekend I hope to have this as good as I'm going to get and very customised just how I want it.

Update guys got out with the unit today and got everything out to do the double din conversion and fit the android unit.

Made a bit of a mess at this stage:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448137851498795

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448137863019648

Then got it all back together and fit the unit.

Only problem now is the fascia of the unit sits too high up and so the hazard switch cup holder etc no longer slots in. Contemplating trimming the fascia but bit worried as the climate control trimming dint go perfectly well.

Will post more pics tomorrow of unit as it is now.

Update guys got out with the unit today and got everything out to do the double din conversion and fit the android unit.

Made a bit of a mess at this stage:

View attachment 73557
View attachment 73558

Then got it all back together and fit the unit.

Only problem now is the fascia of the unit sits too high up and so the hazard switch cup holder etc no longer slots in. Contemplating trimming the fascia but bit worried as the climate control trimming dint go perfectly well.

Will post more pics tomorrow of unit as it is now.
hi would like to see what you mean about it being too high as should just sit in the double cage. if you have messed up your climate i think if your quick i rember seeing a double din climate for sale in the classfides m8

Ok so here are some images of how it looks though not the best pics around

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448295516666337

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448295527167695

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448295537685466

Ok so here are some images of how it looks though not the best pics around

View attachment 73665
View attachment 73666
View attachment 73667
thats doesnt look to bad if you look at my pic of mine my climate sit a lot fruther back so you might need to trim yours more just take your time as if you look at mine i took toom much of the right side. or if the climate wont go back any more did you trim the small black plasti bar from under neath it and the head unit might drop that tiny bit to allow room at the top

Does the climate only need to be trimmed at the sides? I'll try push it in when I get back from work tonight and update you guys. Thanks on responding.

Sorted it chaps thanks for your help all slotted in nicely and hazard switch and cup holder work perfectly.

On the right side where the card tray and esp switch should go, I have not slotted these back in yet. Can I put a second cup holder in that slot?

Sorted it chaps thanks for your help all slotted in nicely and hazard switch and cup holder work perfectly.

On the right side where the card tray and esp switch should go, I have not slotted these back in yet. Can I put a second cup holder in that slot?

Unrelated. I like your gear knob, is it just a standard one?

I believe it's the 1 from s3 8v though I could be wrong. Got it off a chap on fleebay, can see if he's around if you're interested?

Aye that'd be great if you had a link to the seller ☺