New S3, New Focus ST or M135i

Just like the new A4 stuck on screen .......

aDw1iSC.jpg

it's the way they all seem to be going. Unless you want the TT-style dash, which I don't.

But hey. If you want a nice Audi interior, buy an Audi. If you want something that handles and steers properly and doesn't drive like a sedate family hatch with wobbly suspension and vague steering, buy a Focus RS, Golf R, Type R or A45 AMG :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Don76
Like me he's probably waiting to find the right car

Reactions: Blackwhite and veeeight
Don't like that on the A4 either TBH - wonder where that trend has sprouted from ?

They do say copying is the sincerest form of flattery ....

Reactions: Simon L
Guess if we like Audis, just have to get used to'em.
I can see them across the range in future

Maybe their just showing Merc how to do it properly or something

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Apart from good car interiors,they do a no bad effort of the exterior lighting only lamborghini do it better but thats Audi again....!!!
Overall l do love my S3, OK we know it's pitfalls Audi should listen more to its buyers especially this forum,but it is what is there's no escape from that,unless we wish to trade in,l would rather have a 428I than that Mercedes-Benz/BMW M2/st or whatever other car is added to this Audi bashfest lol

The 4 series is a nice looking car especially with the larger alloys and it's far more useable in the real world than the M4/M2
I

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
The A45 AMG truely is an awful Car!

Watching that Video certainly put it all straight for me.
I give Credit to Mercedes for Extracting around 380BHP out of a 2.0 Litre, giving it the Pace it has, but other than that, it really has'nt got anything else going for it!
Its such an Ugly boring looking Car, the sort of Shape that you expect a Pensionor to Buy/Like...............it even makes the S3/RS3 Sportback look leagues more Sporty! To be honest, maybe Mercedes cant help it, as they have'nt made a nice looking Car for a number of years now...........its even harder now, with the New Frontend they all have as well!
With the Tacky, cheap looking Interior aside, the Gearbox is a complete joke, as it hasn't a clue what its doing & the Engine/Exhaust note is pathetic............with that wimpy tin can pop noise.
When your Paying the best part of 45k for a Car, you dont want a farty 4 Cylinder, you want a proper Engine in it!

There's a guy with a Red A45 AMG round the corner from me & Drives it like a Nutter everywhere..................he looks in his early 20's & wears a Cap, which is evenmore of a reason not to have one!

Reactions: TheFiftheElement, Jassyo06 and Kugaman1
I've got an S3 driver like that near me. Sepang too. Sportback though so I'm safe in the Saloon

Wow.

Did you even watch the Chris Harris review of the A45?

(It's on the previous page)

Probably not, as his review of the A45 is somewhat different ..... :D

Gearbox a joke? I don't think so.

Chris Harris is Pro-Mercedes & Anti-Audi, so never really take his Opinion too seriously!

At the end of the day, you have to make your own Decision & look at Cars that catch your eye, then Testdrive them to see if its right for you!

Each to their own I guess, but I really don't see the Attraction of the A45 & I really think that Valuewise, there'll drop like a stone, after a year or two of Ownership............all Mercs do + they always suffer with Electrical Faults!!

Oh yes, and my S3 is and has been completely fault free .......

Broken Haldex
Drinking coolant
Turbo wastegate rod rattle
ACC fault, new sensor
Variable camshaft assembly fault, new camshaft assembly
MMI crashes
MMI screen gets stuck
Interior creaks and rattles from headlining, centre console and driver knee panel
Noisy/whiny gearbox
2 Wheel bearings gone
Pitted exhaust tips
+ more that I can't recall just at the moment

This is my 18 months of Audi ownership experience :D

And that's without going into all the handling and steering traits. It wouldn't be so bad if the car was actually involving, engaging to drive, I'd put up with some things, but it's not even got that magic.

But it's fine, it has a lovely interior :D

I am/was a loyal Audi customer. This is my 3rd Audi. But not anymore. Other marques have had a much faster development rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeS3

Broken Haldex
Drinking coolant
ACC fault, new sensor
MMI crashes
MMI screen gets stuck
Interior creaks and rattles from headlining, centre console and driver knee panel
Noisy/whiny gearbox
2 Wheel bearings gone
Pitted exhaust tips

And that's without going into all the handling and steering traits.

:sign omg: :sadlike:

Reactions: veeeight

Broken Haldex
Drinking coolant
ACC fault, new sensor
MMI crashes
MMI screen gets stuck
Noisy/whiny gearbox
2 Wheel bearings gone
Pitted exhaust tips

And that's without going into all the handling and steering traits. It wouldn't be so bad if the car was actually involving, engaging to drive, I'd put up with some things, but it's not even got that magic.

I am/was a loyal Audi customer. This is my 3rd Audi. But not anymore. Other marques have had a much faster development rate.

No wonder why you didn't bother washing it. And leaving all the bird poo
on! :babychick: ( I still laugh when I picture that ).

Broken Haldex
Drinking coolant
ACC fault, new sensor
MMI crashes
MMI screen gets stuck
Noisy/whiny gearbox
2 Wheel bearings gone
Pitted exhaust tips

The thing is though V8 (and I was going to say the same to Hawkeye earlier) what makes you think any other brand will be different?

I'm sure none of us wishes a bad car ownership experience on anyone here but at the end of the day every manufacturer will knock out a few 'Friday afternoon, god look at the time......lets rush home early for tea and bodge this one chaps' !! It's just a fact of life ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Get an M135i. Just picked mine up. OMG it's an amazing car!!! Agree the interior might not quite be up to the level of the s3 but everything else edges it out without question!
Pics to follow when I get it detailed.

A45 was too expensive for me so not a consideration and Golf Rs are driven by mostly scum bags and chavs from what I see on the roads!

Reactions: HawkeyeS3
The thing is though V8 (and I was going to say the same to Hawkeye earlier) what makes you think any other brand will be different?

1. It doesn't matter if the car was actually great to drive, you'd put up with some of it.

2. If it were a Mercedes, the dealer experience is miles ahead of Audi in respect of putting things right. The Audi dealership experience can leave something to be desired.

Anyway. There were a few moans earlier in that we weren't talking about Audi's in an Audi forum. Well, now we are ;)

Reactions: HawkeyeS3 and Pulp84
Im kinda +1 with Andy on this, most are chavs driving the golfs.

Like reading how so many on here dis the Audi brand even though owning them, are you stuck in a contact and feel like you can't give the car back and change for something else?

Im a big Ford fan and I never really hear people hating them like people do on here about Audi's. Maybe with a Ford you know what your getting but with an Audi people expect so much more as in they should never have any problems. I understand they cost more but nothing is perfect... Expect me :haha:

I clearly offended you there. I am anything but pretentious (not sure about the fool bit ;-)
Can't help it that the people I see driving golf Rs look like chavs and drug pushers!! It's a straight observation!

Reactions: lucas-suisse and Eigdoog
Badge snobbery is rife on this forum, it's absolutely ridiculous. I drive a Golf R and I can assure you I am as far removed from a chav as you will get.

Stereotypical views depending on what car you drive is frankly ridiculous and small minded. So someone in a Subaru must be a chav rather than a car enthusiast? Down right laughable

Reactions: Snibo, wooder, Simon L and 5 others
I clearly offended you there. I am anything but pretentious (not sure about the fool bit ;-)
Can't help it that the people I see driving golf Rs look like chavs and drug pushers!! It's a straight observation!

You didn't offend me at all. I'm just amazed that you can make such a bold statement purely on the basis of seeing a handful of people who clearly don't suit your eye. It's ridiculous. Who says people don't look back at you in the m135i and think, "look at him in another m135 425 deposit and 425 pcp deal/similarly cheap lease deal"

Reactions: Jassyo06
You didn't offend me at all. I'm just amazed that you can make such a bold statement purely on the basis of seeing a handful of people who clearly don't suit your eye. It's ridiculous. Who says people don't look back at you in the m135i and think, "look at him in another m135 425 deposit and 425 pcp deal/similarly cheap lease deal"

Maybe they do think that. Think the golf is a cracking car just attracts seems to attract chavs for whatever reason. I have no bias towards or against VAG card it is purely an observation. Just like subarus and evos back in the day.

Funny, but after 4 days in a golf match I'm appreciating the s3 more than ever :)

Just goes to show how bad the Golf Match must be :welcoming:

Reactions: FBF01
This is how you style a "performance" car, Audi. You just look dull and dowdy in comparison.
Just like a family hatch ;)

(as for those wheels...... ugh.)

30a4cxy.jpg

(Pic from the RS3 section)

The RS3 really does look as dull as dish water compared to the beemer here. At least BMW dont force 5 doors down your throat. Couldnt live with the rear wheel drive though, as good as it looks.

I'm sure none of us wishes a bad car ownership experience on anyone here but at the end of the day every manufacturer will knock out a few 'Friday afternoon, god look at the time......lets rush home early for tea and bodge this one chaps' !! It's just a fact of life ;)

Don't disagree Simon, and don't get me wrong, I'm actually disappointed that I'm disappointed with my S3! For the first 8k miles I loved it, it was fault free, and I was happy as Larry - with all the issues being reported here, I had none of them - suddenly in the last 4k miles I've just lost the trust in it where it's been one thing after another. But its a little more than that, I don't know what it is but every time I go into a dealership, I just get the impression that there is a lack of interest, and that they feel they are doing me a favour - I just find it cold? Car issues / Friday builds aside, just for that reason, my next purchase is unlikely to be an Audi. My sister just had a similar experience in buying a new 1.4CoD A3, what is up with these Audi dealerships? I actually don't think mine is a Friday special, more I think its design issues and quality of parts fitted, or to be more specific the Turbo's being utilised.

My fear? That the damn thing will go wrong again out of warranty - there are enough threads on here about turbo rattle with S3's and Audi indicating that they "all do that" - had my turbo replaced already under warranty at8.5K miles, but if that goes again I really don't want the bill and it seems that the issue is still prevalent in this model (although touch wood mine isn't doing it again, and hopefully won't). Plus if the rattle comes back and you want to trade in or sell privately - who the heck would believe the bull about "They all do that" - I wouldn't if I was buying second hand, I'd walk away and find another that didn't rattle.

It pains me that a car that I purchased with a view of keeping 4-5 years I now doubt, which is why it will be sold / traded for something else before the warranty is up in 18 months time. I'd love to buy another but with the turbo rattle still an issue even in current models, then much as I like the S3, it won't be another sadly. Nor an RS3, as although a different engine, I'm not paying a 10K premium for a bit of noise. If Audi sort it in that time, then its back on the list for consideration.

And for sure I could go elsewhere and get exactly the same. Pays your money and all that.....time will tell, another 6 months or so before I need to start making some decisions and ordering my next steed.

Don't disagree Simon, and don't get me wrong, I'm actually disappointed that I'm disappointed with my S3! For the first 8k miles I loved it, it was fault free, and I was happy as Larry - with all the issues being reported here, I had none of them - suddenly in the last 4k miles I've just lost the trust in it where it's been one thing after another. But its a little more than that, I don't know what it is but every time I go into a dealership, I just get the impression that there is a lack of interest, and that they feel they are doing me a favour - I just find it cold? Car issues / Friday builds aside, just for that reason, my next purchase is unlikely to be an Audi. My sister just had a similar experience in buying a new 1.4CoD A3, what is up with these Audi dealerships? I actually don't think mine is a Friday special, more I think its design issues and quality of parts fitted, or to be more specific the Turbo's being utilised.

My fear? That the damn thing will go wrong again out of warranty - there are enough threads on here about turbo rattle with S3's and Audi indicating that they "all do that" - had my turbo replaced already under warranty at8.5K miles, but if that goes again I really don't want the bill and it seems that the issue is still prevalent in this model (although touch wood mine isn't doing it again, and hopefully won't). Plus if the rattle comes back and you want to trade in or sell privately - who the heck would believe the bull about "They all do that" - I wouldn't if I was buying second hand, I'd walk away and find another that didn't rattle.

It pains me that a car that I purchased with a view of keeping 4-5 years I now doubt, which is why it will be sold / traded for something else before the warranty is up in 18 months time. I'd love to buy another but with the turbo rattle still an issue even in current models, then much as I like the S3, it won't be another sadly. Nor an RS3, as although a different engine, I'm not paying a 10K premium for a bit of noise. If Audi sort it in that time, then its back on the list for consideration.

And for sure I could go elsewhere and get exactly the same. Pays your money and all that.....time will tell, another 6 months or so before I need to start making some decisions and ordering my next steed.

Now this I can relate to entirely, but to be fair V8 kinda changed the subject in his reply.

All of a sudden reliability issues turned into poor customer service and after sales at dealerships? I was simply saying the kind of problems you've both experienced could just as easily be found with Mercedes, BMW or any other manufacturer you care to mention. None are immune or can claim 100% quality control, it simply doesn't exist..

Poor customer service is inexcusable in any top company and you won't hear me defend Audi or anyone else for that.

I hope you both have better luck next time :)

It's related and intertwined.

All cars go wrong. Some more than others.

It's how you are 'serviced' or looked after from that point on, that makes the difference to the ownership experience.

Generalisation coming up:
Audi dealers tend to huff, puff and roll their eyes when you have a warranty issue (they don't get paid for investigating warranty problems). They act like they are doing you a favour when you have a problem.

Mercedes dealers bend over backwards and ensure that your every need is catered for, and can't apologise enough that you've had a problem.

I'm pretty sure mine isn't a Friday car, they aren't assembly or manufacturing problems. I just know the engineering behind it wasn't as good as it should have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snibo
Get an M135i. Just picked mine up. OMG it's an amazing car!!! Agree the interior might not quite be up to the level of the s3 but everything else edges it out without question!
Pics to follow when I get it detailed.

A45 was too expensive for me so not a consideration and Golf Rs are driven by mostly scum bags and chavs from what I see on the roads!

Funny you should think that.

There are barely any ex S3 8v drivers that have moved across to the M135i according to their forum.

However there are quite a few ex M135i drivers on here....(myself included).

Sorry but as an all round ownership proposition, I think the S3 is the wiser choice.

As previously mentioned, whatever Manufacturer you go for, there'll always be someone that will have nothing but Trouble with their Car.......its just how it is unfortunately!

I had an On-going issue with a New RS4 Avant B7, back in 2008. After about 7months of Ownership, the Steering Rack went on it, which got sorted very quickly to be fair. A month after that though, the Suspension started playing up & making Knocking noises, which took the Dealership quite a few Attempts to Cure! I absolutely loved the Car, but by this time, I'd lost abit of faith in it & ended up Chopping it in for a New TTS.................which 2months down the line, I'd realised I'd made a huge Mistake & wished I'd kept the RS4!

With the S3 8v having a pretty Newly Developed relatively small 4Cylinder Engine, that's kicking out 300BHP, giving out decent Fuel Economy & super Low Emissions, maybe Audi has some Teething issues with this particular Unit at the moment??

You only have to look at the current F1, to see how even there all Struggling with Reliability, due to the Output/Power & Technology there Achieving out of a small Engine...........which is then Transferred to Road-going Cars!

I had a diesel A45 for a week, piece of ****. The lag in the auto box was nothing but dangerous when pulling out of a junction. Interior is like something a 10yr old would design and the MMI or whatever they call it was a joke. Looks nice from the outside though.
They don't do a diesel A45

The A45 AMG truely is an awful Car!

Watching that Video certainly put it all straight for me.
I give Credit to Mercedes for Extracting around 380BHP out of a 2.0 Litre, giving it the Pace it has, but other than that, it really has'nt got anything else going for it!
Its such an Ugly boring looking Car, the sort of Shape that you expect a Pensionor to Buy/Like...............it even makes the S3/RS3 Sportback look leagues more Sporty! To be honest, maybe Mercedes cant help it, as they have'nt made a nice looking Car for a number of years now...........its even harder now, with the New Frontend they all have as well!
With the Tacky, cheap looking Interior aside, the Gearbox is a complete joke, as it hasn't a clue what its doing & the Engine/Exhaust note is pathetic............with that wimpy tin can pop noise.
When your Paying the best part of 45k for a Car, you dont want a farty 4 Cylinder, you want a proper Engine in it!

There's a guy with a Red A45 AMG round the corner from me & Drives it like a Nutter everywhere..................he looks in his early 20's & wears a Cap, which is evenmore of a reason not to have one!
Lol the S3/RS3 is dullest looking car in the hot hatch market, 4 exhaust tips on a 4 pot, naff choice of wheels and apart from those things absolutely no way of really telling them apart from a a diesel, the A45 exhaust note having owned one with the performance exhaust is leagues above the competition IMO the YouTube vids are no way representative of it, they sound tiny as you say, In real life though the car sounds like a group B rally car.

Lol the S3/RS3 is dullest looking car in the hot hatch market, 4 exhaust tips on a 4 pot, naff choice of wheels and apart from those things absolutely no way of really telling them apart from a a diesel, the A45 exhaust note having owned one with the performance exhaust is leagues above the competition IMO the YouTube vids are no way representative of it, they sound tiny as you say, In real life though the car sounds like a group B rally car.

Test drove the A45 few months ago and I was left rather flat after it. I was more than happy to jump back in to my R, admittedly missing the sound of the A45 on the down shift. Having heard the rs3 last week...its a no brainer, Audi all the way :) . The new facelift A45 does look nice, and I've seen the Chris Harris review and its a big improvement by the looks of it .

Yes, the FL A45, with front LSDiff, revised suspension, revised gearing, and more importantly, power increase through revised cams (not just a ECU tune) will I suspect, be one of the best/better Haldex based cars to drive.

This is why the Focus RS is eagerly anticipated - it's potentially offering something that gets around the Haldex limitations.

The RS3 engine noise is lovely, can't deny that, but after 2 hours of nose heavy action, lifeless steering, and unsuited suspension, I was getting bored of just drag racing in between the bends. More power in that car also highlighted just how light and twitchy the back end becomes, under heavy braking, because you have that much more straight line speed to scrub off, before nursing it around the bends. It's just not a well balanced car. And then the brake fade sets in .........

In truth, the Golf R is much more nimble and agile, and more responsive to driver inputs, and rewards accordingly, than the RS3 in driver terms.

Last edited:
I'm amazed.................:hubbahubba:

That any one with any sense would be put off picking a car just because they 'think' chavs drive them.
I'll always buy WHAT I WANT. SOD being put off for such a puerile reason.....

And lets face it they've changed how they mount the screen for one reason and one reason only.
That is cost, both of the installation itself and the warranty costs on a complex mechanism.
No other reason at all.............

Reactions: FBF01 and veeeight
Oh and as far as thread is concerned, I now wouldn't pick any of the cars mentioned when you can get an almost ultimate driving experience and get some change...........

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...d,new&sort=default&price-from=27500&logcode=p

Having been round Thruxton with Tiff in his own car I can vouch for the unbelievable ability of these cars. No one could ever successfully use the available performance on the road.

Believe me you're not going to be complaining about bounce or anything else associated with handling.

Last edited: