S4 quattro Black Edition

golfather1

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Just put a deposit on S4 OCT 2012 model, buying from Audi dealers 33000 on the clock, my question is, is there anything i should be looking for when go for test drive ? i know its been mentioned before look for triptronic gear noise or gear change.

I wanted a sport diff but i can't find one in my budget :-( below is the the full spec. very excited can't wait for a weekend. please feel free to give me any advise. thank you for your help in adavance

Phantom Black
  • BLUETOOTH
  • Bang + Olufsen Advanced Sound System
  • Audi Music Interface
  • DAB Digital Radio Module
  • Front Sports Seats
  • ELECTRIC FRONT SEATS
  • Split Folding Rear Seats
  • SUPER SPORTS SEATS BLACK / RED
  • HEATED FRONT SEATS
  • 19" 5 Arm Rotor Alloy Wheels
  • FOLDING DOOR MIRROR
  • Acoustic Windscreen
  • TECHNOLOGY PACK HIGH - NAVIGATION
  • Black Styling Pack - A4
  • Audi DRIVE SELECT
  • REAR ELECTRIC WINDOW BLINDS
  • Piano Black Finish Inlay
  • Audi PARK ADVANCED
  • Audi Parking System Plus

Cant really give you advise but best of luck and hope you enjoy it.
I hope to be able to afford an S4 Avant in a few years time :)

Reactions: golfather1
At least there are used S4s with sports diff. I was completely unable to find an S5 sportback with one at any price!

Audis are so good that (in general) there's not much to check for on a 3 year old S4 apart from the obvious - state of the paintwork, seats, condition of brakes, tyres etc. As you know generally the only problems reported are the automatic gearbox (and it is s-tronic and not tiptronic), and most of these are in 2010 and 2011 cars. I think there have been cases in 2012 cars so yes pay attention to the gearchanges which should be smooth and predictable. If you notice any problems then walk away unless you are getting an extended warranty with it.

You should note that there are a few maintenance items due at 37,000 miles (unless the service schedule was different in 2012), and one of these is that the gearbox oil should be replaced. I'd encourage you to try to get the selling dealer to do that for this car as part of the sale such that it is sold on that basis. Changing the oil early is a good idea anyway.

Reactions: scotty76 and golfather1
At least there are used S4s with sports diff. I was completely unable to find an S5 sportback with one at any price!

Audis are so good that (in general) there's not much to check for on a 3 year old S4 apart from the obvious - state of the paintwork, seats, condition of brakes, tyres etc. As you know generally the only problems reported are the automatic gearbox (and it is s-tronic and not tiptronic), and most of these are in 2010 and 2011 cars. I think there have been cases in 2012 cars so yes pay attention to the gearchanges which should be smooth and predictable. If you notice any problems then walk away unless you are getting an extended warranty with it.

You should note that there are a few maintenance items due at 37,000 miles (unless the service schedule was different in 2012), and one of these is that the gearbox oil should be replaced. I'd encourage you to try to get the selling dealer to do that for this car as part of the sale such that it is sold on that basis. Changing the oil early is a good idea anyway.

Thanks for your help mate.
Car is coming with 1 year warranty then i will defiantly extend this on a renewal time. they are giving me 2 services free with the car when ever they due in future. thanks for heads up on a gearbox oil change.

Good luck with the car. I bought a 2013 6 months ago and loving it

Nice spec. Gearbox as already suggested. And I'd second @Dippy suggestion of them changing the gearbox oil.

Might be worth checking the oil and coolant levels. My S4 coolant level dropped for a while as it settled. And they do use a tiny bit of oil. Oil is via the display in the car, there's no dip stick.

I endorse the comments above. Get some pics up as soon as possible and get ready to own a magnificent car. :)

Reactions: golfather1 and scotty76
Get a dipstick,the MMI isn't accurate, just had a service done and ran a risk of overfilling it as it only showed a 1/3rd full. Garage didn't believe it after putting in more and it still not moving. so got a dipstick for £9 from TPS.
The MMI after 3 days went back up to full and when the dipstick arrived it showed it a fraction over full. It'll soon burn off and not cause an issue, but for the sake of a tenner it gives you comfort

Reactions: golfather1 and scotty76
Thanks guys, yes it will be a big difference from my 2.0 TDI 170 to 333 bhp!!!
Dip stick is in my list thanks gain, someone mentioned MRC :hubbahubba: just seen their website, but is that affect your warranty ?

another question the tail pipes looks very dirty in pictures what dealer sent me is this normal ?

another question the tail pipes looks very dirty in pictures what dealer sent me is this normal ?

That will be carbon I guess - poor cleaning by owner...Its pretty usual as my S5 SB used to do it but I'd try every couple of weeks to give them a clean to keep them sparkly...

That will be carbon I guess - poor cleaning by owner...Its pretty usual as my S5 SB used to do it but I'd try every couple of weeks to give them a clean to keep them sparkly...

cheers mate

Just cleaned my pipes last week using a combination of Autosol and then using Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine. Works on exhausts just fine.

If you don't have anything to do it at the moment would recommend the Britemax Metal Twins.

@golfather1 - in general modifying cars, especially the engine, and warranty cover do not go together. Although there are plenty of S4/S5 owners with stage 1 and stage 2 modified cars who have had no problems, all of them (at least the sensible ones :)) know that one of the results of their fun might be that something will break and there will be no warranty to cover it. With the gearbox situation as it is, the risk is that this is what will break and that's expensive to fix, especially if an Audi dealer does it.

Hopefully coming from a 2.0 TDI you will find the performance of the S4 plenty, at least until the warranty runs out.

Ah but that's how it starts @Dippy as I'm sure you know. Seems fast enough then after a while the knowledge it could go faster creeps in. :) What was black and white was the day the remap came off my B7. It just felt broken. I'd acclimatised to it.

Reactions: golfather1 and razza1
Anyway looking forward to photos @golfather1

Yes i did a remap on my old mk4 GTI & it was fun but again it was out of warrenty so didn't bother me that much!!
yes defiantly i will post some pictures if all goes well :racer:
thanks again

Reactions: scotty76
@scotty76 - if there was a remap available for my car I'd have it right now!

Reactions: scotty76
Yes I do, however in terms of engine and transmission tuning both the S4 and S5 are identical from mid 2014 -> currently untunable :(

Yes I do, however in terms of engine and transmission tuning both the S4 and S5 are identical from mid 2014 -> currently untunable :(

Oh ok i didn't know that, i am sure they are working on it :tonguewink:

ok guys tomorrow is a big day & i can't sleep :racer: :yahoo:where can i buy supercharge badges ? thats first in my mods list.

Reactions: jdp1962 and razza1
ok guys tomorrow is a big day & i can't sleep :racer: :yahoo:where can i buy supercharge badges ? thats first in my mods list.
OEM from Audi, or save money by going to eBay. I got mine on eBay, but it was a while back so I don't have the link.

Am I the only owner without 'supercharged' badges?

Nor me. Also don't have the boot badge or V6T side badges.

Would have liked to have deleted the front grille badge too for ultimate stealth but that would involve a hacksaw.

I'm still undecided on whether to keep the v6t badges. I ordered it debadged but of course it was ignored, despite me checking multiple times.
Tempted just to remove the T

Ok guys took a whole day to get the car because of finance paperwork etc, But in the end every second was worth it, when i was driving back on motorway smile on my face was priceless, WHAT A MACHINE!!! loving the instant power the smoothness of big 3.0 v6 & the sound to die for!!!!

Only few hours of driving & i fell in love with the car, on the way back on M6 traffic i done 35 MPG which i think is excellent for this engine.
when test drive there was clicking noise from suspension which they rectify straight away, some kind of spring was lose.

Here are some pictures but i will post more pictures soon :s4addict::s4addict::s4addict::s4addict::s4addict:

Thank you very much everyone for help & i am sure you will see me again with more annoying questions. :yahoo:

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 147
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 152
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: Bristle Hound, xpoweruk, scotty76 and 2 others
Thanks everyone, Guys i want to change fog light bulbs, I did change them in my old B8.
Are they easy to change in this model too ?

Yay another black one. I thought I was on my own with a black S4. :) Looking nice.