A3 Noisy tensioner or water pump bearing?

Fandango80

Reaction score
I have had my A3 1.8T Quattro for 4 weeks now and about a week after i had got it, a noise from near the auxilery belt started at random times. It sounds like an intermittent screaching sound but its not the belt slipping.It is usually quiet but sometimes it gets louder and it usually happens before the engine has warmed up. I think it could be the tensioner or idler for the auxilery belt but im a bit worried it could be the water pump bearing because this happened on a car i had previously (A vectra for my sins!!). The water pump ran off the cam belt (well done vauxhall) and one day, after making a similar noise, it decided to completly collapse and sieze and almost snapped my cam belt. Any ideas before i order a new tensioner?

Cheers Guys.
Dave

could be both i have some pics of mine from over the weekend, audi also run waterpump of the cambelt and waterpump usually go at same time as cambelt heres mine the garage did not do as instructed and change the pump same time as belt i should of asked to see the old pump

IMG_3609.jpg

waterpump off centrer from stress

IMG_3619.jpg

belt

4d1afe50.jpg

belt in situ

Blimey mate, that is gutting- why do garages do that- cant rust anyone , it seems. Did they charge you for a water pump when they did the cambelt? Didn't realise audi have the pumps there as well!!?? Supprised really as i would have thought the auxillery belt would have been a better position for it. Oh well im sure they have their reasons. Is the a3 pump on the smooth side of the belt? I think the vauxhall one was on the toothed side - I cant believe the belt didnt snap... The engine revs dropped dramatically and i switched it off just in time.

Il change the tensioner then and see what happens. The cam belt has supposedly been changed 20k miles ago so hopefully they did the pump at the same time alough there are no reciepts to prove it. Its just noted in the service book.

yer i need to dig out the receipt for it not impressed, i think the a3 pump will be smooth side like the v6.. conspiracy theory is they the waterpump thing to have ur car in twice for major work lol

btw the tensioner has a oil damper you need to apply constant force to pull it back then lock the damper with a pin to remove the pulley, set aside some time, maybe a day to be safe, trying to do it in an evening would be a long job

its useful to lock the timing on it to there are so many gears on the front, lasertools do some good vag tools, good luck

Haha - yeah im not supprised about that- any way to squeeze mor money out of you! Cheers for the advice- il let you know how i get on