Wheel bearings

Sam reid

Reaction score
Need new front wheel bearings!

Where's best to get them cheap, also are the OEM bearings made by skf? Cheers

I replaced the front wheel bearing on my car recently. The original part was an SNR item.
I ordered a new wheel bearing from carparts4less which was supposed to be SNR but when it turned up was an SKF part. This didn't bother me as I think SKF are a better item but the cheapest I could find an SKF bearing was just over £100. Where as the SNR item was £70 from carparts4less, so a bit of a bonus.
You can get cheaper Chinese parts off Ebay for half the price but they are liable to last 1/2 as long or worse.

karl.

Or you can get the same from Eurocarparts using the discount code 12BOX-121 12% off for the next 6 days.
If you didn't know CP 4 less are the on-line version only, part of ECP.

I replaced the front wheel bearing on my car recently. The original part was an SNR item.
I ordered a new wheel bearing from carparts4less which was supposed to be SNR but when it turned up was an SKF part. This didn't bother me as I think SKF are a better item but the cheapest I could find an SKF bearing was just over £100. Where as the SNR item was £70 from carparts4less, so a bit of a bonus.
You can get cheaper Chinese parts off Ebay for half the price but they are liable to last 1/2 as long or worse.

karl.

Thanks for the reply, how long have you had your new bearing in for?

My friend has an A6 and he replaced his front bearings with some really cheap ones (I believe they were drivetech) and after 6 months they've already gone haha

Had it changed about 2 months ago. No issues so far and I am not expecting any. I am reasonably sure it was a pothole that caused the original to fail. Went through a big one that made a very large bang when I hit it. About 2 weeks after that I first heard the rumble from the offside front bearing. Shock loads like that can cause pieces to chip off the race or damage the balls.
The car has done 95K so not too bad.
I would stick with quality parts FAG, SKF , SNR etc

Had it changed about 2 months ago. No issues so far and I am not expecting any. I am reasonably sure it was a pothole that caused the original to fail. Went through a big one that made a very large bang when I hit it. About 2 weeks after that I first heard the rumble from the offside front bearing. Shock loads like that can cause pieces to chip off the race or damage the balls.
The car has done 95K so not too bad.
I would stick with quality parts FAG, SKF , SNR etc

Thanks for the advice, will get something ordered today. Can't stand the noise now, sounds like a space ship when turning corners haha

Thanks for the advice, will get something ordered today. Can't stand the noise now, sounds like a space ship when turning corners haha
If its not too late for you I would try talking nicely to your local Audi dealer parts guy, I got my genuine bearings for £70 + vat.

Sam, try our parts request system for a price :)