Thinking of tuning - Cant understand why you wouldn't.

nervus

Reaction score
MTM M-Cantronic removed! It made an instant difference but now its removed the step back feels like a bigger difference. In fact I dont want to drive the car at all now. Looking forward to the new RS3 and a new MTM box ;)

The standard car has so much potential I cant understand why you arent all buying these plug and play boxes? Insurance hardly changed, theyre totally removable and they really transform the car.

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
Not a true tune
Warranty issues - TD1
Clutch slip
Long term impact on turbos, gearboxes, and possibly engine wear
Cost to chip/tune
Insurance extra cost if any

Reactions: DommyR, gamegenie and nervus
Warranty isnt a n issue, the box unclips in <2 minutes and it IS undetectable no matter what the conspiracy theorists tell you :)

I agree that the frailty of the clutch and turbo did worry me a little....Mine is an early car (Sept 2013) so should have the infamous turbo but thats what the warranty is for.

Its now the next owners headache to be honest.

Have any S3 turbos actually shafted yet? Thought they were also Golf Lease's?

Err why would I, happy with what I have thanks.
Save your pennies and get a better car in the first place, thats what I've always done.
Never spent a penny on after market mods of any kind (oh apart from audio) always saved the money for a better car next time

Warranty is an issue and you're kiddin yourself if you think otherwise!

Stock all the way for me, if I want more power (which I definitely don't at the moment) will get get a faster car next time..........simple :)

edit: yeah, completely agree each to their own......................and most on here are completely transparent about the potential warranty issues............your car your choice ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: steeve, jetron and Dandanfings
Lying to Audi to say you haven't had one fitted when you have, for any warranty work = fraud.
That could cost me my job.

Potentially letting the next owner pick up the pieces (literally) of a car bought with hard earned, which isn't all it seems (or would you let them know?).

Not for me personally.
As said above......If I want a faster car, I will just buy one.
But each to their own.

Reactions: jetron and S32B
Another question:

Do you admit the box to your insurer?

Would you admit it to Audi under a warranty claim?

Can you see where this is going?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Every change no matter how small is recorded and stored somewhere....they aren't that daft!

Not wanting to start an argument, but as for "Its now the next owners headache to be honest.", on a forum for Audi/S3 enthusiasts who love their cars, I think that's a bit poor! If I were buying off someone on here I'd like to think they would be honest with me as I would with them!

Reactions: phil1824, Nikon, slayaz and 3 others
I think the fact I'm wearing a huge loss in < 2 years means I don't think too much about the next owner! In fact I couldn't give a Dog Fart! I don't buy cars and fanny on keeping them pristine for the next owner who picks them up for a fraction of the cost. If a new owner expects that ,then I expect them to buy a new one themselves.

I've never been asked about my car form the dealers it. I don't think its my lookout to detail that. The fact I've never been asked is testament to the tuning products I've used. Again Laptop car-park tunes are cheap for a reason.

Perhaps some of you think I should detail everything I've done, how often I've driven it above the legal limit, missed a gear, washed it with a dirty sponge?

It probably explains why there are more threads about polishing and washing than actually driving these days...

Anyhow, 63 plate 3-door manual in Panther black available. 28k, washed 4 or 5 times (once by me personally) and caned from delivery. overs over the £18,800 offered by NW Audi!

I don't think too much about the next owner! In fact I couldn't give a Dog Fart! I don't buy cars and fanny on keeping them pristine for the next owner

Lovely attitude, good luck with the sale :)

However, my attitude would be to keep the car as nice as possible whilst still enjoying it, that way hopefully you get a bit more for it when you come to sell it....I may be wrong though! :p

Reactions: C2 DTN, phil1824, jetron and 2 others
Never spent a penny on after market mods of any kind (oh apart from audio) always saved the money for a better car next time
@dolo What audio upgrades have you done? I'm considering of dynamatting my car which has B&O thats why I ask.

I ain't going to jump on the bandwagon here, yeah l would love to get a proper remap for my car,but it's just not worth the hassle,ie insurance simples they try to get you at every opportunity and l ain't going to give them one incase

Reactions: Simon L
I ain't going to jump on the bandwagon here, yeah l would love to get a proper remap for my car,but it's just not worth the hassle,ie insurance simples they try to get you at every opportunity and l ain't going to give them one incase

Jump away big boy............it's a free for all in here!! lol

Agreed, you'll get away with it with some insurers but a lot will take any opportunity to give the ol cash register a good ching ching! That and warranty kill it for me.........

Reactions: WarwickL and Jassyo06
My insurance was really good. Lowering springs, Tuning box, Big brakes, Aftermarket wheels and air-filter made £70 difference over the year!

Oh dear, I didn't realise there was such a (slightly misguided) anti-tuning presence on the forum now. :D

For those that are screeching "Warranty" ..... This is why you buy a MTM box. Not only is is more sophisticated than many other offerings on the market, but it's nice to know, that if you go down the MTM route - there *is* a warranty.

Plus the MTM box can be installed/removed in seconds/minutes, without tools, or removing the under tray.

MTM have a comprehensive Engine and Transmission warranty to cover you, should Audi not honour their warranty because of modifications.

Section 2: MTM Warranty extent, term and scope

1. The warranty shall cover (the list is definitive) the following assemblies and parts:
a) Engine: pistons, cylinder bore liners, bolts, rings, connecting rods, crankshaft, crankshaft sprocket, countershaft gear wheel, oil pump, drive wheel, cylinder head gasket, cylinder block, camshaft, tappets, valve rocker arm, camshaft sprocket, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, cylinder head, valves, valve guides, carburetor, crankcase, oil cooler, oil sump, oil pressure switch, air volume meter, air flow meter, knock sensor, sensors, bearings, idling actuator;
b) Turbo: turbo, compressor, intercooler;
c) 4 x 4: transfer case, viscous clutch, differential lock;
d) Mechanical transmission: sprockets, gear-selector forks, sliding sleeves, drive shaft, main shaft;
e) Automatic transmission: shafts, planetary gear sets, disks, belts, valves, oil pump, governor, safety valves;
f) Axle drive: differential, sprockets, wheel bearings;
g) Power take-off shafts: propshafts, propshaft bearings, final drive shafts, electronic control units;
h) Brakes: brake booster, main brake cylinder, vacuum pump, brake-power regulator, brake-force limiter, ABS control unit;
i) Suspension: lower and upper rocker arms, suspension arm rings, axles and suspensions, king pins and rings, wishbones, track rods;
j) Electrical system: alternator, starter motor, windscreen wiper motor,

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/products/mtm-guarantee

There are also "tune friendly" Audi dealers around, if you know where to look/go.

PS: And yes, nervus, the nature of the forum has changed since you were last active on here, much more cleaning/detailing/interior lights/puddle lights/creature comforts than actually driving the car properly threads :p

Reactions: Tony1982, DommyR, thewanted and 6 others
I'm sure ABT also offer a similar warranty @veeeight . I guess these are relatively expensive tuning boxes unless you know someone selling a second hand one ;-)

Detailing *** - great until you actually drive anywhere...

Reactions: veeeight
Err why would I, happy with what I have thanks.
Save your pennies and get a better car in the first place, thats what I've always done.

But on your theory, why not buy a car with a better audio system?

I think the fact I'm wearing a huge loss in < 2 years means I don't think too much about the next owner! In fact I couldn't give a Dog Fart! I don't buy cars and fanny on keeping them pristine for the next owner who picks them up for a fraction of the cost. If a new owner expects that ,then I expect them to buy a new one themselves.

I've never been asked about my car form the dealers it. I don't think its my lookout to detail that. The fact I've never been asked is testament to the tuning products I've used. Again Laptop car-park tunes are cheap for a reason.

Perhaps some of you think I should detail everything I've done, how often I've driven it above the legal limit, missed a gear, washed it with a dirty sponge?

It probably explains why there are more threads about polishing and washing than actually driving these days...

Remind me never to buy a car that you've owned. For me its not about looking after a car for the next owner, its about me looking after my property as best I can do. I take pride in what I own and take great care in looking after everything that I've worked incredibly hard for.

Despite my post above - I'm very pro tuning. Most cars I've owned I've modified, and I do so because I see it as a hobby. Currently I'm not going to touch my S3 for 6 months or so because I want to make sure any build issues are ironed out without Audi being able to wriggle out of a warranty claim because I've been tinkering.

The MTM box @veeeight recommends is very interesting though, and is certainly something I'm considering.

Reactions: nervus
Have had a few tuned cars in my 45 years of car ownership but our S3 won't be tuned. If I was going to modify it, suspension and geometry would be of more interest as that is where the S3 falls a little under 8/10ths driving. Given it is ****** fast stock and we won't be tracking it, the car is perfect stock.

We once got chiselled £1000 on an 8P S3 upon trade in because the exhaust started blowing literally the day before it went in. The next week when I crawled under the car (Complete with Audi Approved status) I noted that they had merely welded up the exhaust.

Dealers don't care about a vehicles condition so neither do I anymore. I've spent £1000's in the past repairing supermarket dents off the Golightly familys Picasso, envy scratches and wheel kerbing and it makes no difference so I've got a new outlook on it.

Maybe if I was selling privately but nobody buys anything privately anymore unless its double cheap.

Despite my post above - I'm very pro tuning. Most cars I've owned I've modified, and I do so because I see it as a hobby. Currently I'm not going to touch my S3 for 6 months or so because I want to make sure any build issues are ironed out without Audi being able to wriggle out of a warranty claim because I've been tinkering.

The MTM box @veeeight recommends is very interesting though, and is certainly something I'm considering.
Well said on this. I'll always wait a while before tinkering with a mapped car (although the springs went on quite promptly).

Warranty isnt a n issue, the box unclips in <2 minutes and it IS undetectable no matter what the conspiracy theorists tell you :)

I agree that the frailty of the clutch and turbo did worry me a little....Mine is an early car (Sept 2013) so should have the infamous turbo but thats what the warranty is for.

Its now the next owners headache to be honest.

Have any S3 turbos actually shafted yet? Thought they were also Golf Lease's?

Not this again!

Takes seconds with a laptop to run the logs in the car to see that boost requests are not at all like stock for the dealer to figure out it was tuned.
If you have a toasted engine 99% of dealers will check for this, some may just disregard it but it's a massive risk.

Tune = no warranty

Regardless of how you do it.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Simon L
Not this again!

Takes seconds with a laptop to run the logs in the car to see that boost requests are not at all like stock for the dealer to figure out it was tuned.
If you have a toasted engine 99% of dealers will check for this, some may just disregard it but it's a massive risk.

Tune = no warranty

Regardless of how you do it.

Thank you mate, was kinda of hoping you'd pop in at some point ;)

I'm not anti-tuning whatsoever........... so no need to create yet another 'us v them' thread. No rights or wrongs just opinions........... as long as folks go into it with their eyes wide open nothing wrong in that :)

As for the new detailing/creature comforts brigade..................I've noticed some cracking new members starting to appear on ASN a lot of whom fit into both 'camps'. Surely you can tune yer car and enjoy looking after it too?

Reactions: PanamaS3, WarwickL, Dandanfings and 1 other person
Thank you mate, was kinda of hoping you'd pop in at some point ;)

I'm not anti-tuning whatsoever........... so no need to create yet another 'us v them' thread. No rights or wrongs just opinions........... as long as folks go into it with their eyes wide open nothing wrong in that :)

As for the new detailing/creature comforts brigade..................I've noticed some cracking new members starting to appear on ASN a lot of whom fit into both 'camps'. Surely you can tune yer car and enjoy looking after it too?

Absolutely I am all for tuning (obviously haha) but people need to be aware of the risks.

I can say I have not had a single issue with my car and I hammer it daily (12k miles now)
A proper tune/product that's been tested will be as good to the car as stock as long as you carry out regular maintenance etc.

....... washed it with a dirty sponge?

PS: And yes, nervus, the nature of the forum has changed since you were last active on here, much more cleaning/detailing/interior lights/puddle lights/creature comforts than actually driving the car properly threads :p

Veeeight beat me to it :)

You washed your car with a dirty sponge. You really are a CRAZY GUY :sign omg:

That's a bobbins trade in figure.
What did it cost new?

And is that a particularly low figure, or are they not holding their values that well?
Not really looked as I'm not ready to get shut yet.

@dolo What audio upgrades have you done? I'm considering of dynamatting my car which has B&O thats why I ask.

Sorry Mate I was referring to years ago. The car just has B+O.
What is Dynamiting :readit:

Oh dear, I didn't realise there was such a (slightly misguided) anti-tuning presence on the forum now. :D

"Misguided" NO
"Not Interested one bit" Yes

Reactions: WarwickL and Simon L
Misguided Yes,

because the "No Warranty" issue is a falsehood - if you purchase a MTM or ABT system.
A very comprehensive warranty is included.

Reactions: batch
And MTM and ABT are hardly fly-by-night outfits.

However, the so-called quality of a warranty is a strawman, and the statement "misguided" stands.

"No Warranty" is a falsehood (with MTM and ABT).

As an aside, if people were so concerned about warranty, they wouldn't be making any tweaks with VCDS on their cars, as in theory, the change in content and checksum in any ECU would flag a TD1 and be a potential warranty issue :D

Reactions: nervus
You miss the point.

If you make VCDS changes to an ECU - say the body controller - and a failure occurs with with one of the dependent components - of course warranty will be affected.

I never implied that VCDS changes to headlights would cause warranty on a turbo to be refused.

My point being that some people are being selective as to what they consider a risk from warranty denial, and what isn't. Making VCDS changes to *any* ECU will leave you susceptible to a TD1 flag.

More on VCDS and potential warranty issues:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/vcds-td1.240775/#post-2414041

And MTM and ABT are hardly fly-by-night outfits.

However, the so-called quality of a warranty is a strawman, and the statement "misguided" stands.

"No Warranty" is a falsehood (with MTM and ABT).
As I said a warranty is only a warranty if the outcome of a claim is successful

Otherwise it is just words on a piece of paper ;)

The outcome of a warranty is a strawman argument.

It plays no part in the original misguided/incorrect view/statement.

If you buy MTM or ABT, there *is* a warranty.

Paper or not, this is identical to Audi's own warranty, with the same lottery of outcome.

:D

Hells bells nervus, I thought we only went fishing once a year.

You've landed some absolute monsters here......and with very little bait.

Reactions: PanamaS3, nervus, blodwen715 and 2 others