S3 Induction Choices?

Lovegroover

Reaction score
I have read extensively through the masses of discussions on here about leaving the induction alone on the S3. With most reccomendations pointing toward extra cold air feeds for the oem box.
Therefore should i:

1. I have proposed chopping up the standard air box and putting a large diameter cold air feed into the bottom. Has anyone else done this? and if so what was the sound like (i must admit to smiling slightly at the wooshh and chatter of the recirc viper - don't shoot me.) I would obviously retain the oem filter, but would just like a bit more noise.

2. Seeings as i am an Engineer at a sheet metal factory it is possible i could get a custom enclosure (insulated aswell) made up to house a K&N style filter - i could then feed this with the oem and a custom cold air feed.
Obviously there are the MAF issues with a cone filter, but disregarding this anyone tried this idea before?

3. Sod the hassle and if i'm willing to risk it just put a BMC or alike on.

Sorry for the essay,
Cheers - Joe

Id go for cold air feed aswell- i had the same question a while ago and came to the same conclusion. Heard that the replacement filters contminate the maf sensor too. I havent yet done mine but i will let you know when i do. Let me know how it goes if you go for it before me.

Cheers
Dave.

Will keep you posted as to what I do and what effect it has. Does anyone know if there is more induction noise etc with a larger cold air feed, and also anyone know how much a replacement airbox is if it all goes t*ts up – God forbid.

I must admit I do pine a bit more induction noisey-ness, not too much though, and not at the price of reliability.

I think it would make a louder noise because at the moment is diverted into the inner wing which would dampen any sound. With a cold air feed from the lower grill, i think the sound will be projected straight out of the front of the car with no solids in the way to block it. Also i think the tube, (if it is fairly hard) would let the sound resinate, a bit like a trumphet or induction kit, which might beef the noise up a bit.
As for the airbox replacement, there is one on ebay right now for 30 quid and 5 days remaining
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-VW-VO...ryZ10372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Im pretty sure the s3 has the same airbox as the a3 qts but id check to be sure.

Dave.

Drill holes in the standard air box and get a cold air feed from the front bumper or the arche to the OEM air feed hole. Done this on my S3 after having the K&N filter on and personally i think that the K&N is a waste of space. It use to get too warm in traffic and covered the MAF in oil!

DPM said:
Drill holes in the standard air box and get a cold air feed from the front bumper or the arche to the OEM air feed hole. Done this on my S3 after having the K&N filter on and personally i think that the K&N is a waste of space. It use to get too warm in traffic and covered the MAF in oil!

Interesting, cheers. Where did you drill your original air box to prevent it sucking in hot air? have you done it like this one:
http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/ramair/cheapinduction.htm

Did you completely get rid of the oem feed from the wing then?

DPM,
Where does your cold air feed lead to- ie. from the front bumper to where? do the holes in the airbox not draw in hot air from the engine bay? I was lookin at this mod the other day. Did you notice a slight power increase or just a beefy noise?

S3 is very difficult to get a cold air feed to as there is next to no room.

The oem air feed just goes through into the wheel arch area and stops.

The Oem setup, is fine and actually well regarded so i would leave it alone.

ive played with the Wak style drilled airbox, but concerned about the heat.

I know Wak well, his is running a FMIC and oilcooler on his car with many other mods, and a ducted cold air feed, so there are things inplace to help combat the heat.

I'm gonna go against the popular veiw and say that I really like my BMC. Sure the power gains may be negligable, but it looks good and sounds good. It's carbon, so it removes some of the heat issues too. Cold air feed pipe runs down by the battery and sits behind the headlight. The air's cool enough around there.

Fandango80, the cold air feed on mine runs from the arche lining vents to the OEM cold air pipe. The holes are only small and really just benifit for the noise. I havn't noticed any power increase and to be honest i don't think you'd find many induction kits where you would. At the end of the day it's really each to there own.

Cheers DPM, Do you have any pics of your setup and the size / position of the holes? No worries if not. :)

ChriS3 said:
I'm gonna go against the popular veiw and say that I really like my BMC. Sure the power gains may be negligable, but it looks good and sounds good. It's carbon, so it removes some of the heat issues too. Cold air feed pipe runs down by the battery and sits behind the headlight. The air's cool enough around there.

Very tempted to go this route, but might just drill a few holes and see what that sounds like first - am worried about the hot air intake though! Oh decisions decisions !!

Thinking i might just drill some small holes which can easily be re-selaed and put the £200 (cost of BMC) towards an S3 plate!! :)