S3 Coilovers... Hmmm, Choices!

DPM

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.dpmperformance.co.uk
Hello peeps!

Currently on the DPM Autostyling S3 we have just got Eibach springs fitted, this was just to make sure she was lowered while i had the time to ponder and spend many a night wondering what coilovers to put on her. Now the only coilovers we've had on S3's and A3 Quattro's are the H&R & Eibach so i know both of these are good but i'm also wondering about Bilstein PSS9's. I'm getting old now at the ripe age of 22 so i don't want a stiff ride and to be honest it's stiff enough already. Any advise or experience will be gratefully recieved!

hi guy!

i have pss9 s and they're quite firm. not jarring mind, but firm. i've heard H&R make a soft and a hard coilover set for the S3...i guess you could try the softer one?

Yeah i know all about the H&R, we stock them our selves. Was just wondering about other makes to be honest. Thanks for the feedback though, you'd say Bilsteins are alot firmer then standard?

I have KW Variant 1 Coilovers on mine, they were on it when I bought it. I was originally going to put the standard suspension back on as I thought it may be too firm (did'nt want that after my Corsa) but i'm pleasantly surprised. Its nice and smooth and handles fantastically, I have'nt driven a stock S3 though to compare but I would imagine mine will be alot better in the handling stakes. So they are staying now, they cost the guy £800 he said.

to clear it up, i like them better then the standard setup. over potholes and stuff i think they're no more disturbing, but if you drive over small speed bumps and such at high speed get ready to hit your head on the roof :)

i think the worst is when going over consequent dips and rises on the road. the car reacts so quickly to the direction changes, you think you're in a rollercoaster :)

ofcourse all this considering the terrible roads we have over here.

but man, ohhh does she handle hehee!

I've had coilovers on all my cars in the past with various makes, FK, Koni & Spax and i've found all of them to be so hard that i couldn't put up with it. If i went over a tab packet on the road i could practically tell you what make tabs there were. This time i just want to get a nice setup no stiffer then standard really. Might sound an impossible outcome from coilovers i know!

DPM said:
Yeah we also stock the KW's, a great kit. If i decided to go with them i'd be putting the Variant 3 on it though.

Whats the difference? I never looked into it, its just what he told me was on it. They seem well up to the job though.

DPM, whilst on the subject of suspension, can you tell me if there are 2 different sets of Eibach springs available for the S3, and do you have a side view pic of your car, so I can see the stance?
I have Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs fitted to my S3, and am not happy with the way the front sits, though the rear was lowered by a considerable amount over standard.

Just the Pro Kit for the S3 if i remember rightly bud... I'll take a pci of ours for you when i get it back though and see what you think as i only have pics from the front at the mo...

VWF0.jpg

Hmmm, it's a hard one and i'm sure it's been brought up time and time again. I'm happy with how it rides at the moment, just want it sitting a little bit lower with out having to go to the dentist because a have a teeth rattler for a car!

You need to organise an S3 gathering local to you, get S3s with different suspension setups to attend. Then have go in each one. Try before you buy.

Secret Squirrel said:
You need to organise an S3 gathering local to you, get S3s with different suspension setups to attend. Then have go in each one. Try before you buy.

DPM said:
I like the way you think dude!

I thought you already had? DPMs MEET is this a general meet as well as a remap day?

What is kingsway house? It isn't your premises is it?

well i'll be there james, and ill give u a ride/drive in mine with my Eibachs on, i might even have the re-map by then to.see what 2moro brings

S3-James, that's right but that isn't just for S3's... everyone is welcome and yes it's mainly a general meet as the remap GB was just a little bit of an offer for the day! We own two premises James, that's just an office and storage though. Hope to see alot of AS.net peple there on the day!

Right lads, i think i'm going to stick with what i know and go for the H&R's. Hopefully i'll have them on by Sunday for the meet but with H&R's delivery times i doubt it very much!

wightman said:
well i'll be there james, and ill give u a ride/drive in mine with my Eibachs on, i might even have the re-map by then to.see what 2moro brings

I might keep my distance after the email you sent me yesterday lol :haha:

I like the way he sent it to everyone in your address book! :banghead:

i know its due t me having my last day at work on friday, start a new job in peterlee next wed. still don t know who done it, bast**ds!