hi folks is this normal temperature for FMIC

oldcar

Reaction score
Hi folks, I got myself an infared pointer gun to see what temp is running on my car on a hot day.

Today is the hottest day in Sydney this months 35C-reading by IR GUN. real ambient temperature. is around 35-37C. after an hour drive, I opened my bonnet and getting some readings-as listed below.

FMIC-41 C, intake charge pipe-45C; intake charge pipe right against the firewall just off the turbo-103C.
Please tell me is my FMIC doing a good job ?any good vs OEM ???or waste of time??? Thanks

that's sounds OK with those ambient. stock coolers would be miles higher with much cooler ambient.
I seen 60 and 7's in the uk on normal days.

also prawn posted recently his intakes were mid 20's which is very good and it's freezing here

Reactions: oldcar
Are you logging this under load in VCDS? is this actual air temps or just measurements of areas of the engine?

A decent FMIC will do 10-15 degrees above ambient typically...

OEM on a mapped car are rubbish and would be 60-70 plus degrees

<tuffty/>

thanks man, I dnt have a data log in program...I got the cd but never got time to set it up. I just using the IR gun pointing at the direction where I did the measurement. Should that give me a rough idea.

thanks man, I dnt have a data log in program...I got the cd but never got time to set it up. I just using the IR gun pointing at the direction where I did the measurement. Should that give me a rough idea.

The readings in context are irrelevant then..

<tuffty/>

Hi folks, I got myself an infared pointer gun to see what temp is running on my car on a hot day.

Today is the hottest day in Sydney this months 35C-reading by IR GUN. real ambient temperature. is around 35-37C. after an hour drive, I opened my bonnet and getting some readings-as listed below.

FMIC-41 C, intake charge pipe-45C; intake charge pipe right against the firewall just off the turbo-103C.
Please tell me is my FMIC doing a good job ?any good vs OEM ???or waste of time??? Thanks

logging Air temps.. via ecu is only way you're going to have a meaningful measurement to gauge performance..

any idea what codees I need to ask my mechanic to check next week.?? air intake, and charge pipes??? thanks

Here's a indication of my reduction in Air Intake Temps.

Logs where done on same stretch of road with similar air temperatures.

Before was just stage 1 Remap along with air filter and CATback.

After was all stage2 mods, FMIC, Custom B5 Map along with inlet manifold insulating gasket.

Managed to reduce AIT by 16degrees.

any idea what codees I need to ask my mechanic to check next week.?? air intake, and charge pipes??? thanks
You need to log intake temps under load in vcds either on a dyno or road logging...

<tuffty/>

thanks guys that was awesome. I will update....