Rattling noise after new clutch and SMF installed

BurgoS3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all yesterday I got the Sachs performance single mass flywheel and clutch kit installed and also had the release bearing changed at the same time.

Once I got home from the garage (30 miles) I noticed a rattling noise when the car was in idle. It sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine. When the clutch pedal is pressed the noise disappears but returns again when released. I took the car for a quick spin and I'd say the noise comes about 50% of the time the car is in idle. Has anybody else experienced this or is it part of the bedding in process if so wouldn't the noise be constantly there when in idle? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Current mods
Bluefin stage 1 (stage 2 ready to go on once new clutch bedded in)
Milltek cat back
Forge Dv
Revo ceramic CAI

That's what single mass flywheels do unfortunately, nothing to worry about I'd say

Cheers for your reply, that's what the garage said this morning when I called them. I just figured that it would be there all the time when in idle

Is that normal for these? I know my clutch is on the way out as the bite point is really high but that rattle at idle really buge me.

It's sometimes worse if sat in traffic pointing up a hill, seems erratic for a rattle as well, not a constant "thud thud thud"....if that makes any sense!

The symptoms described sound as if it might be a problem with the release bearing. I had mine go at 28000 on my B8 A4 and it started as a rattle until pressing the clutch down and then eventually developed into a spinning type of noise. Worth keeping an eye on, but at least you have registered it with the garage after 30 miles.

Reactions: Jake 61 and scotty dugg
It's nothing to do with a release bearing. It's one of the issues you come across when fitting SMF kits. Some clutch kits get away with it on some cars, others are more susceptible to rattling noises on idle.
The lighter the flywheel the more chance that you will have an issue. If you go for a nice heavy SMF then you probably wouldn't have noticed an issue. With clutches the DMF is not usually the limiting factor it's the actual clutch plate. You will probably notice it more in the summer when everything gets a bit hotter and the gearbox oil is a bit thinner.

Do people know this rattle is normal for a SMF clutch then? Seems very strange that a manufacturer would produce something that appears to be expected to rattle as normal. Even worse as Scotty dug outlines, he has had to live with it for the life of the clutch.

This is the reason I didn't go SMF, couldn't put up with that rattle noise. It's documents loads on here.

It's horrid. Even worsens when u have upgraded engine mounts. And sounds like a tractor with the ac on just idleing. But it actually performs quite well.

Do people know this rattle is normal for a SMF clutch then? Seems very strange that a manufacturer would produce something that appears to be expected to rattle as normal. Even worse as Scotty dug outlines, he has had to live with it for the life of the clutch.
The SMF is not produced by Audi, it's an after market part. Audi fit a DMF (dual mass flywheel) as std.

The SMF on mine rattles quite a bit at idle but isn't noticeable on the move.

The DMF is a tuned mass damper and soaks up most of the vibrations that an SMF obviously cannot.