Ticking on cold start

tonydata

Reaction score
Hello, I've noticed a ticking from my engine on a cold start, normally starts after the engine's been running for 5mins or so, and lasts for about 30s to 1min, then stops...?

I know it needs looking at, doesn't seem to effect driving at all, I will get it looked at on next service of course, but wondered if anyone had had a similar issue in the past?

08 S3 with 90k on the clock.

Cheers for any help.

Injectors ticking could be one reason, not normally a problem. Also low oil level or dirty oil and the oil is not circulating through one or more of the cam followers.

Reactions: tonydata
I have noticed this a couple of times ('57 S3, 64k miles). 2 friends have independent Audi garages, and have both told me it's common, and nothing to worry about. Neither offered an explanation, just not to worry! Haha.

It can only be an injector, or maybe a hydraulic tappet taking a little longer to fill up with thin oil? I'm planning on changing my oil soon, so I'll see if it makes a difference!

Cheers both, I'm not overly concerned as I say, doesn't seem to impact performance! If I get a "fix" or explanation I'll post it up :)

Do an oil change anyway and use one of the Flush fluids as directed. Won't do any harm to give the engine a thorough clean.

Hold a plastic screw driver to your ear and touch parts of the engine to narrow it down, if its from the right hand side it's probably going to be a failed/failing cam chain tensioner and/or follower

Reactions: outsideline and Sayam
Hold a plastic screw driver to your ear and touch parts of the engine to narrow it down, if its from the right hand side it's probably going to be a failed/failing cam chain tensioner and/or follower

Ok, thanks, right hand side facing the vehicle? I can't seem to find any history of cambelt change, it's on 90k... I think I may just get it done for peace of mind... is the tensioner/follower part of the same job? Best to ask to get that done as well as belt and pump at same time?

Ok, thanks, right hand side facing the vehicle? I can't seem to find any history of cambelt change, it's on 90k... I think I may just get it done for peace of mind... is the tensioner/follower part of the same job? Best to ask to get that done as well as belt and pump at same time?
Alright mate, yeah if you open the bonnet and you are facing the vehicle its the right hand side of the engine. (Passenger side in the UK).
Unfortunately no, the cam belt is on the other side and will probably be a separate job. For the cam chain + tentioner & follower and new bolts its around £200 in parts. That's the genuine stuff. They are other kits around but I wouldn't recommend it. Did you try the plastic screwdriver thing I said?
In the pic I've just uploaded its the area in red that your should hear the clicky tappity sound from. I think You will need to remove your engine cover if you havnt already done so.

Attachments

• sketch-1452278802719.jpg
    sketch-1452278802719.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 988
Alright mate, yeah if you open the bonnet and you are facing the vehicle its the right hand side of the engine. (Passenger side in the UK).
Unfortunately no, the cam belt is on the other side and will probably be a separate job. For the cam chain + tentioner & follower and new bolts its around £200 in parts. That's the genuine stuff. They are other kits around but I wouldn't recommend it. Did you try the plastic screwdriver thing I said?
In the pic I've just uploaded its the area in red that your should hear the clicky tappity sound from. I think You will need to remove your engine cover if you havnt already done so.

Thanks a lot @saq85 I'll take a look/listen at the weekend!

The nature of the tfsi engine, its got a diesel injection system and its a natural thing for the injectors to tick under the high pressure.

Yeah as said already the injectors on these engine's are noisy and Is a common thing but it's not a fault or anything to worry about.

So, managed to get a short video clip of the ticking... the car had been started say 15/20 secs from cold, and this is the slight clicking/ticking I hear, as the car drops in revs, it gets slower and eventually (about 1/2mins) stops... I notice it also when I drive out of work and approach a speed bump, slow down, press clutch, as clutch is pressed slight ticking, then as I bump over the speed bump and let clutch out and pull away, it goes again...

I don't actually notice any real issues with driving at all... it's just REALLY ANNOYING!

It's had at least 2 oil changes in my ownership (9k) and I actually remember hearing it at the dealers when he started it up, but dismissed it as just "something they do"...! Oil changes don't seem to make any difference.

Any help/experience from anyone appreciated so I can get it fixed!

From the sound of that engine sounds like the cam chain adjuster thats mounted on the exhaust cam and thats where the smoke is coming from. needs changing, common fault I believe.

From the sound of that engine sounds like the cam chain adjuster thats mounted on the exhaust cam and thats where the smoke is coming from. needs changing, common fault I believe.

I'll take a look at the article... never mentioned smoke though! :0)

If it's the cam adjuster, prepair yourself for a hefty bill. I had the cam adjuster, cam chain and tensioner replaced a few months after I bought the wife's A3 TFSI. It didn't sound as bad as yours and only had a bit of chain rattle on a cold start, but I had it all replaced as a precausion.

Well you didn't mention it but I`m sure I can see smoke in that video.

Nah, no smoke.

If it's the cam adjuster, prepair yourself for a hefty bill. I had the cam adjuster, cam chain and tensioner replaced a few months after I bought the wife's A3 TFSI. It didn't sound as bad as yours and only had a bit of chain rattle on a cold start, but I had it all replaced as a precausion.

What did it set you back @MFM?

Nah, no smoke.

What did it set you back @MFM?
I had to phone a load of places as quotes were just ridiculous. Most places wanted over a thousand pound just to replace the chain and tensioner. Audi wanted close to £2000.

In the end I found a really good indy who quoted me £745, but upon taking the thing apart they found it was the cam adjuster that had actually failed. Since the engine had quite a few miles on it I decided to just replace the lot for peace of mind.

It set me back just under £1500 for the lot.

I think the parts cost around the £400 mark the rest labour, even 10 hours at £65 hour is £650, so £1500 is a lot. someone with elsawin or haynes will be able to tell you book time to do the job, buy the parts yourself and get a decent independent to fit them on book time.

I think the parts cost around the £400 mark the rest labour, even 10 hours at £65 hour is £650, so £1500 is a lot. someone with elsawin or haynes will be able to tell you book time to do the job, buy the parts yourself and get a decent independent to fit them on book time.

You know what, that price included a service as well. I've just had a look at the invoice and the breakdown for the timing chain, tensioner, guides etc. plus cam adjuster was as follows.

Parts - £662
Labour - £504

So that's a total of £1166. The best quote I could get BY A MILE.

All genuine parts as I wouldn't trust cheap Chinese parts when it failing can destroy your engine. The cam adjuster alone was £438!

Or try the cam chain adjuster first as I believe there about £280, the cam chains on the 2005/2008 cars are in there for life, the newer engines from 2008 on are different kettle of fish with a very well known problem with failed cam chains.
Which engine code do you have? its the Tsi CJXE engine that has the problem, the Tfsi CDL is fine.

Or try the cam chain adjuster first as I believe there about £280, the cam chains on the 2005/2008 cars are in there for life, the newer engines from 2008 on are different kettle of fish with a very well known problem with failed cam chains.
Which engine code do you have? its the Tsi CJXE engine that has the problem, the Tfsi CDL is fine.

Not sure on engine code, mine's preFL 2008... If I'm facing the engine from the front of the car, where are all these cam chain parts located? is it left or right of the engine bay? The follower is right I think, right?

You will be fine on cam chain hopefully, but they are prone to stretch on high mileage cars.

Well I'm on 98k so maybe that's it... although, I *think* the cam chain, tensioner etc is on the right side of the engine when facing the front? My sound comes from the left hand side!?