Water gathering behind the d/s rear light help

Lee1587

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Dont suppose anyone has come across this just by chance I was looking for the paint code to my car and noticed some water gathering where the spare wheel is, after that I looked behind the drivers side rear light and noticed a bit of water had gathered behind there also.

The one concern I have is that the fuse box is in that compartment, had the car a month took it back to the dealership today and they have put a new washer on behind the light which they say it could fix it not sure if that could cause it though?

Has anyone else come across this?

Any ideas is much appreciated thank you.

This was a common issue on non facelift A4 b8's, it was solved by replacing the foam seal around the light, that's how I solved it on my A4 anyway.
You would think an Audi tech would have came across this before, or not. :huh:

If your problem continues, take it back and mention the foam seal, tell them to change it, very much doubt them changing a washer will do it.
JG

The light seals let water in and the boot lid fills up. Open the boot and it flows down the boot supports into the boot. If you have an audio amp in the side of the boot it can destroy it. I've removed a plastic plug in the boot lid to let the water out. Should get the seals done though.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 760
Reactions: Lee1587
My wife's toyota leaked water in via the rear lights, so i bought a sheet of adhesive closed cell foam off Ebay and made additional gaskets that I stuck onto the body, worked perfect.

Reactions: Lee1587
Cheers for the ideas guys.

Frustrating to find little issues with the car there was quite a bit of water before it was drained away its not rained since so cant really tell if the washers have done anything at all.

Last edited:
Cheers for the ideas guys.

Frustrating to find little issues with the car there was quite a bit of water before it was drained away its not rained since so cant really tell if the washers have done anything at all.

It's not raining!!! Your not in Scotland then,lol.
Give the car a going over with the garden hose or pressure washer and have a look for traces of water, that'll give you an idea if it's fixed.
JG

Haha nope not in scotland haha, cheers I will do :)

Reactions: RS5 JON
My wife's A4 had a rear light changed due to this. We hadn't noticed anything but it was in for a new clutch and they did it at the same time. Car was 2 years old at the time.