80k servicing

SnazzyWafles

Reaction score
My 2.0 tdi (bkd) is coming up to around 82k on the clock. What do I need to do for its servicing? Its my first decent car and I'd like to look after it, 200k here I come! Its got a FSH and has had belts and pump done around 65k.

If you look in your Audi service book you will be able to see what has been done to the car at each different service, you will be able to judge what needs to be done this time round then! Mines due again this month, if the plugs weren't changed last time then change them on this service, at least you know it's had a quality service with the history!

No the indie garage wrote in the book what they did and stamped etc. Its had oils and filters etc. Its a tdi so I dont think I'll be changeing the spark plugs ;)

I was just wondering if there are any big services coming up or should I just give it a full and i mean full fluid change and all the filters?

If I was you mate I would just get a full service for piece of mind, that's what I will be doing as it's the first service in my ownership

Its a manual, I'll change the fluid on that as Ive been told its cheap enough to do and will smooth things out.

Somthing else to mention, it had a reconditioned turbo put on and egr flush at 76k, thanks to rac warranty :)

Im just after things that will length its life, the mrs goes to uni in dundee and I'll be down in the Lincolnshire area soon so a reliable mile muncher is a must!

Yeah I'll be giving a full service, I just didnt know if I needed to ask for anything extra i.e. "Snazzywaffles you need to change the headlight fuild by 90k or your front wheels will fall off"

Also I seen alot of horror stories of the BKD's turbos being made out of chocolate. Mines just had a reconditioned unit put on, and I do look after it i.e. let it cool down and dont boost till its warm.

I also give it a good welly every other week to clear out cobwebs. Anything else I can do? Egr delete with a map?

love that! just use good quality durable products as Matt said, if you want to save on cost and to know you have decent parts then buy all the parts yourself and get a garage to service and stamp away on your book!

I would personally egr delete with a map, imo it's a no brainier with a diesel, economy and power! Best mod for a derv

Is a map really that much of a life shortner? If I did map I would be after somthing safe and not absolute power figures. Also is the egr a win win or will i be loosing somthing if it gets deleted.

I think it's a win win, stops exhaust gasses clogging your Intake up but it will just make your emissions worse, which I'm guessing your not to bothered about! And you can get a custom map to suit you, economy maps are popular on diesels and they can also improve performance greatly, without having too much detriment to your cars internals

Last edited:
I've spotted that a "awesome" company based in manchester do very cheap in house maps for £150 but im a tad worried as not everyone on the forums has had a good experiance with the maps.

Also in general I've seen a few 140 tdi bkd guys on the forums who have had maps that eat their turbos.

If your in Manchester then there's a place called unicorn developments in Stockport, I have been speaking to Rick about getting mine done, I live around there, only good reviews! You will pay more but it's a quality map

That's with a rolling road before and after, it's not just a generic map like most places, they will map it to suit your car individually, also do all relevant checks before mapping

Having a custom map doesn't mean you are going for max power output, you can specify more mpg and refinement as well, especially if you are going long regular journeys.
As for your servicing, oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter need doing and check the cam belt has been done in the 4 years. Like you the wifes turbo popped 18mths ago and a new Audi oe one fitted, that would mean the manifold is new and clean and the egr should have cleaned out. Not having a DPF is a win win situation.

Should I wait till the serivce light pops on? Or just go ahead and do it as and when.

I'm with soot, get it done as soon as you have the money.... Then get a map to suit you

If you service your own you won't have the stamp, the next owner will want the stamp! It's not hard to service your own car but no stamp!

Worth it mate, if you have full service history on a car with 80k then you may as well buy your own parts and get a garage to have a go for you

I just jack up the front drivers side enough to get the undertray off and uscrew the sump plug, put a large low profile oil tray under engine, then lower the car to ground level. Whilst the oil is draining I change all the filters. Then refill with oil and check for leaks, if all ok undertray back on and good to go.
I fill in the service book myself and keep the service item receipts. If you do all that then a future buyer can see that you have taken the trouble to do the service properly, not a problem on an older car.

My 2.0 tdi (bkd) is coming up to around 82k on the clock. What do I need to do for its servicing? Its my first decent car and I'd like to look after it, 200k here I come! Its got a FSH and has had belts and pump done around 65k.

82k miles is low! I would just do a fluid and filters change to begin with. I wouldn't worry about glow plugs unless you have a lot of trouble starting the car in cold weather. My car has had 2 faulty glow plugs from when I bought it nearly two years ago, and it's not been a problem.

Good VAG-spec 5W-30 Oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Pollen filter
Air filter
Brake fluid (if it hasn't ever been changed).

You can run some engine-flush through the engine when you do an oil change, but this isn't necessary, just swapping the oil is enough. One thing that I would like to do on mine, is take the inlet manifold off and give that a good clean and get rid of the oily carbon deposits!

I'm not sure about the service interval on the manual gearbox, but have a look into and consider changing it. I know on a DSG it's every 40k miles but may be longer on a manual gearbox.