Its winter - and I miss ..

GreatBallsofFire

Reaction score
.. a manual handbrake massively. How in earth could Audi make such a mistake removing them in 8V? For instance BMW hasn't. Anyone knows if its possible to mod the present electronic ones to only to work on the rear tires, perhaps make them partly usable for quick turns in snow?

Reactions: Vins
I have cursed the Mrs new beemer every day this year, having to pull that archaic lever!!

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Wondering Soul, jetron and 3 others
usable for quick turns in snow?

Hmm..might be useful for 1or 2 days a year when you pretend to play dukes of hazard, compared to every day convenience of not ever having to worry about using a handbrake in every day driving....latter for me every time

Reactions: SW14NY'S, Wondering Soul, jetron and 4 others
Manual handbrake for me. Used it a few times today in the RS4 as it's a bit icy up in the north of scotland. In the S3, I have to put my seatbelt on to move the car 3 feet with the auto brake and the hill hold assist.

Sorry Great Balls I love me EPB ..........I've got the strongest left hand index finger muscle in the known universe..........

Skinny-Flex.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinbanshee, SW14NY'S, Scottyg and 3 others
Manual handbrake for me. Used it a few times today in the RS4 as it's a bit icy up in the north of scotland. In the S3, I have to put my seatbelt on to move the car 3 feet with the auto brake and the hill hold assist.

And how about dem fangled' lectric windows ;)

Can't say I miss the 'lever' or the window winder :welcoming:

Reactions: pburv
have to put my seatbelt on to move the car 3 feet with the auto brake and the hill hold assist.

Yes that's the only pain with electromechanical handbrake but can always buy a seat belt blank from eBay for about £5 to save having to put the seat belt on to move three feet.

It's winter, and I miss having the panroof open and the windows down to listen to the Dynamic exhaust! And add to that the R600! Come on April!

Or you could just press the button, which is still far less effort than moving a lever.

Yes that's the only pain with electromechanical handbrake but can always buy a seat belt blank from eBay for about £5 to save having to put the seat belt on to move three feet.
You can release the brake, it just doesn't auto release

Well that is the case with the Aussie S3's

Yes, I have no problems. Just press down on the parking brake switch and off you go, even with seat belt off.
You had to manually release the manual brake anyway, so no difference except EPB is easier and quicker.

You don't have to have seat belt fastened to activate or deactivate the handbrake. Foot brake depressed and in neutral is all it takes....

I wasn't happy with my first 8V for not having the traditional handbrake lever, but I soon got used to it, to not have to disengage the handbrake when setting off is a boon...........

You don't have to have seat belt fastened to activate or deactivate the handbrake. Foot brake depressed and in neutral is all it takes..
I believe the automatic release is what was being referred to. If you put the car in drive with the footbrake depressed and then release the pedal and tap the gas, the EPB automatically disengages. If you have your seat belt unclipped, it won't auto disengage.

To answer the OP's question, I don't miss the old handbrake, much prefer my EPB!

Reactions: A3_Rider
I can understand the lack of interest in manual handbrakes in´case one live in places that rarely see snow and ice (and unless one like to drive rally). But fairly large portion of the Audi buyers still do live and drive in rougher climates. And the handbrake is both useful and fun as soon as the road is snowy or a little bit icy. Too bad one cant choose. Or if there was a fast electronic handbrake witch only work on the rear tires..

I f you want to have fun getting that rear end out, the S3, without or without an EPB is not the car

Do you want to try that post again mate? I think my kids managed better sentences than that in year 4!! lol

Tired from no sleep caused by health issues with a family member.

Absolutely no imagination or typing skills on my small iPhone screen this morning.

Sorry to hear that mate

Reactions: WarwickL
I f you want to have fun getting that rear end out, the S3, with or without an EPB, is not the car
Getting the rear out in snow is easy, and fun in every corner (and you need not a S3 for that, but you do need quattro). But at low speed, or from standing still to make the car turn around is own axis still being in control, for that you need manual handbrakes. BMW stick with the manual for some reason, any reason why? Anyway, I have to deal with it, but a pity in my eyes.

The S3 doesn't have the suspension, steering or response for fun in the situations you mention.

You should have bought a BMW ;)
Naa, can't get a auxiliary diesel heater in 1 series, but you can in A3 (thank you Audi)(apart from S3) :) I like my A3, and its reasonable fun too, but there are some design flaws. ;)

Ken Block has a hydraulically operated rear wheels only grab brake in his AWD WRC car.

As does the new Focus RS - a proper handbrake :)

I miss a proper handbrake, especially in the snow.

Reactions: GreatBallsofFire
Naa, can't get a auxiliary diesel heater in 1 series, but you can in A3 (thank you Audi)(apart from S3) :) I like my A3, and its reasonable fun too, but there are some design flaws. ;)

EBP isn't one of the design flaws as most have replied.

It is an improvement for daily driving.

Hanging the tail out or rallying isn't where the S3/A3 delivers or intended to deliver.

They are for old people like me.

Far better cars for fun and for a lot less coin :)

Reactions: Simon L
EBP isn't one of the design flaws as most have replied.

It is an improvement for daily driving.

Hanging the tail out or rallying isn't where the S3/A3 delivers or intended to deliver.

They are for old people like me.

Far better cars for fun and for a lot less coin :)
Well, in my opinion, the optimal would be if every buyer could chose for themselves, when buying the car. :)

Audi Marketing would have you believe otherwise (that the rallying heritage is relevant) :D

But yes, the S3 is "soft" edged, and definitely not honed for a being a great drivers car.

Well, in my opinion, the optimal would be if every buyer could chose for themselves, when buying the car. :)

For every item on a car, there will always be at least one buyer who didn't want the item that most other buyers do want.

The A3/S3 is as most know, a model aimed at mature drivers who want a good all round car with a little class.

Edit - too many options already on the S3 as it is.

Reactions: steeve
For every item on a car, there will always be at least one buyer who didn't want something that most other buyers do want.

The A3/S3 is as most know, a model aimed at mature drivers who want a good all round car with a little class.
The A3/S3 is aimed for the sporty youngster or young middle aged, according to the typical commercial. Then, in reality, usually older people buy (them new), because they can afford it. ;) I am not so young either, but this isn't a black and white thing. I am not talking about driving like Niki Lauda (in the snow), its just typical winter driving and handy and common driving techniques (which unfortunately can't be done properly).

Actually, as late as today I heard Jeremy praise the manual handbrake in the S1 in the Top Gear show. And he was then in Italy :)

Clarkson is a tool but there you go

Handbrake turns aren't a normal driving technique.

Here in Aussie, Audi target the older demographic

Youngsters buy a Golf generally (although I had two but I act and type like a 4 year old so makes sense)

Pretty sure most Swedes and Scandinavians would consider the handbrake essential technique in the snow ;)

Reactions: GreatBallsofFire

I've been enjoying the snow Even more so on the nice long bends!

Reactions: Ignition1
Totally unrelated question - but does the EPB have a safety feature built in? So it only kicks in when the speed is say <5mph. Or will it lock the wheels when you're doing 70 and your friend (ex-friend after) wonders "what does this do?".

i only miss the sun! forget handbrakes lol

Reactions: WarwickL
Totally unrelated question - but does the EPB have a safety feature built in? So it only kicks in when the speed is say <5mph. Or will it lock the wheels when you're doing 70 and your friend (ex-friend after) wonders "what does this do?".

It will activate full hydraulic pressure on all 4 wheels (with ABS, so won't lock up) when you lift and hold up the switch, travelling at any speed, if passengers decide to mistake it for the window lift switch ;)

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-brakes-and-warnings.210651/#post-2144684

Reactions: Ignition1
I was actually quite surprised by how tail happy the S3 was on my first outing in the snow. I was sideways on two occasions when I wasn't really trying to be, so I definitely don't need a manual handbrake.. My previous cooper s countryman all4, don't laugh, was a lot more sure footed in the snow and inspired lots of confidence. Next time I'll take the wife's front wheel drive mini....! :)