Facelift What I will miss about my Golf R...

fee7b4adb460e4454401f689ed0cab66.jpg
6245399c564a33cb6c2adffdd16868cd.jpg

Here are a couple of quick photos. Will take some more later.

Maybe park diagonal across Buckingham palace :)

It has gotten lots of attention so far... in the dealer and just in the Starbucks Carpark I’m in!

I can’t get google maps to work though - Audi connect won’t ironically connect. Is this something with my system or is it a bug?

Epsom Audi?

Shame about Google maps. I can’t connect to any Audi Connect services at all? Anyone else?

I drove the car about 8 miles before I stopped at Starbucks. I find the MMI really annoying to use. Far more attention needed than on a touch screen!

But I will see how I feel after a longer drive tomorrow! I do love the matrix indicators. They are very cool. And it is definitely a different feel to the R to drive but I am not sure I know exactly how it is different yet.
It's google earth overlay on the inbuilt maps thats down. I can get google maps via android auto to work no problem. Are you using a usb cable?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's google earth overlay on the inbuilt maps thats down. I can get google maps via android auto to work no problem. Are you using a usb cable?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’m taking about through MMI online system. Not android auto. I can’t connect to Audi connect at all?

Epsom Audi?

Yes

Reactions: OST
I love my S3 but wouldn't have a Golf 7R despite the similar running components. I spend all of my time in my car and didn't like the interior of the 7R. I do love in car tech but found the touchscreen OTT and prefer the simplicity of MMI.

The Golf may corner a little better but I like upgrading my suspension anyway plus prefer the look of my S3 and prefer to have an Audi.

Either way, I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: ASRman
Android platform may well be capable but would Apple allow their handsets to be controlled by their biggest competing OS. Apple is famous for restricting compatible accessories and software. Who else puts a chip in their charging leads to stop non apple certified ones being used?. Please don't tell me there is a valid technical reason for this.

If you watch the video I believe Google say it's compatible with CarPlay as well. And there is a demo.

This is turning into another Golf R bashing thread and you wouldn't expect any less on an Audi forum.

The interior of the golf vs the A3 is on a par, I prefer the design of the air vents in the A3, the MMI, the Super Sport Seats and the B&O sound system. The screen in the Vw looks nasty (not muach better than the crappy Leon offering), I'm not saying it's bad but I prefer the retractable screen and the MMI in the A3. The quality of materials and fit and finish is every bit as good as it is in the A3, albeit the the design isn't as good.

There is always the "golf R handles better than the S3" argument but on the saloon with the magride the difference is probably negligable.

fee7b4adb460e4454401f689ed0cab66.jpg
6245399c564a33cb6c2adffdd16868cd.jpg

Here are a couple of quick photos. Will take some more later.

Maybe park diagonal across Buckingham palace :)

It has gotten lots of attention so far... in the dealer and just in the Starbucks Carpark I’m in!

I can’t get google maps to work though - Audi connect won’t ironically connect. Is this something with my system or is it a bug?
Wow your S3 looks absolutely stunning

Google maps integration is currently down, has been for over a week, it's a known problem to Audi UK, supposedly they are working on it.

I still get attention in my S3 Saloon, at least a few times a week. They certainly seem to attract more attention than the hatch and SB.
Yes I agree the audi s3 gets alot of attention people stop and take photos sometimes. However it does get unwanted attention happened a few times.

Not the same but I moved from a scirocco R to S3 a month ago. I miss the rarity of the Rocco but that's it. The S3 beats it in every department.

As for the touchscreen it was a nightmare. I had 6000 tracks on my phone and to find a particular album involved parking and scrolling down very slowly for 5 mins. Most functions impossible or dangerous to use whilst driving. Voice control the only real option.

Reactions: richinsoton
Yes I agree the audi s3 gets alot of attention people stop and take photos sometimes. However it does get unwanted attention happened a few times.

I was delivering an Aventador last week ( new P/T job, involves driving some real exotics ) folk were hanging out cars in the ******* rain taking my (maybe it's ) pic, all a bit embarrassing really.

Reactions: Benji34 and Chris S 1245

Those l'll be :scared2:folks just let out for the weekend....lol

Reactions: Tom.H

I never experienced the S3 getting any attention, its just a normal 4 door car, nothing exotic.

Reactions: ASRman, richinsoton, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I have a Golf R now, the inside is 'functional', not exactly a special place. Agree on the touchscreen, can't stand it. Good news is the R gets no attention whatsoever (I find anyway).

Reactions: richinsoton and Jassyo06
I have a Golf R now, the inside is 'functional', not exactly a special place. Agree on the touchscreen, can't stand it. Good news is the R gets no attention whatsoever (I find anyway).

Neither do S3's mate, yeah you get the odd complement now and then,but attention erm....nope unless you class that as attention, S3's don't look any different from most A3's on the roads

Reactions: ASRman, richinsoton and Audi Bairn
Same when I had my RS3 until I made it go bang, bang, bang...

Reactions: ASRman, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Shame about Google maps. I can’t connect to any Audi Connect services at all? Anyone else?

I drove the car about 8 miles before I stopped at Starbucks. I find the MMI really annoying to use. Far more attention needed than on a touch screen!

But I will see how I feel after a longer drive tomorrow! I do love the matrix indicators. They are very cool. And it is definitely a different feel to the R to drive but I am not sure I know exactly how it is different yet.
Loads of us are the same. There's a separate thread on the subject and I've posted Audi's response on there too mate.
Car looks fantastic mate! Nice colour :yes:

Reactions: Chris S 1245
The quality of materials and fit and finish is every bit as good as it is in the A3, albeit the the design isn't as good.

I wouldn't agree with this. When I test drove a Golf R, I found some of the things weren't as good. For example the air conditioning control wheel on the Golf feels cheap compared to the S3, you turn it. The gloss finish near the screen was also a fingerprint magnet. On the other hand the Golf does have more storage space, better bolstered seats and ACC as standard (I think a right footrest too). No idea why Audi couldn't have added the little storage space under the light switch, it was there on the 8P A3.

Reactions: ASRman
I never experienced the S3 getting any attention, its just a normal 4 door car, nothing exotic.
Fair enough might be different where you are located. I live up north manchester Area, been a few times where ppl stop and stare at it. Take pics or give a quick compliment :)

An S3 is a nice car and there area fair few around, not as much as the R granted, but people stopping to take a photo...really?! Don't get that at all.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Mention Golf R..... On a thread on this Forum .... It does stir up a lot of interest.... Now l wish l had a £ for every post on every thread about the golf R in comparison to the S3

Wouldn't need to do the lotto lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
I wouldn't agree with this. When I test drove a Golf R, I found some of the things weren't as good. For example the air conditioning control wheel on the Golf feels cheap compared to the S3, you turn it. The gloss finish near the screen was also a fingerprint magnet. On the other hand the Golf does have more storage space, better bolstered seats and ACC as standard (I think a right footrest too). No idea why Audi couldn't have added the little storage space under the light switch, it was there on the 8P A3.

Right footrest! I noticed I had nowhere for my foot now and didn't know why. I'm still not sure why not.

Also why is there less space in the door and the glove box. And only a net on the back of the front seats?

Fair enough might be different where you are located. I live up north manchester Area, been a few times where ppl stop and stare at it. Take pics or give a quick compliment :)

Yeah I guess it is dependent on where you live but to me the S3 is just a normal car so it seems weird that anyone would be be that interested in it. In my mind it's like stopping to take pictures of a Volvo :p.

I live in Sweden (right in the center of Stockholm) and there's loads of way funnier cars parked on the streets here.

"What I miss about my Golf R..."
... having 2 foot rests?

... it's a right pain in the ar... knee. Or a pain in the right knee.

That's the thing I always miss when I drive our A3. I don't understand why Audi's only have 1 foot rest, especially with adaptive cruise control.

MMI5G (MIB version 3) is being launched in the A8 and will be in the new A3 thats scheduled to arrive in 2019.... and will bring touch screen to Audi.

ln conjuction with a MMI rotary dial controller,it wont be just a touch screen, it will offer both?

Having had the car for 2 days now; despite my squeaky passenger side wheel I can tell you my first impressions.

The build quality and detail is much better - everything in the car just looks higher quality and feels better. It may just be the design - such as the steering wheel feels better even though the R steering wheel is the same - but its slightly larger on the R. So it may be a combination of factors.

The design detail on the actual car is better; there are two large scoops on the bonnet; the little spoiler; the massive side skirts.

And despite my opinions about the 5 wing arm alloys literally every person who has seen them as said they liked the alloys.

It is also categorically much louder! When I Rev the engine the pops and bangs are significantly louder than the R (it is a pre-facelift version I had so I don’t know how it compares to the new one.)

I think I would tint the rear windows a bit more however as they seem a bit lighter in person than they look in photos. I’m going to add some photos to the show your car thread shortly.

Having had the car for 2 days now; despite my squeaky passenger side wheel I can tell you my first impressions.

The build quality and detail is much better - everything in the car just looks higher quality and feels better. It may just be the design - such as the steering wheel feels better even though the R steering wheel is the same - but its slightly larger on the R. So it may be a combination of factors.

The design detail on the actual car is better; there are two large scoops on the bonnet; the little spoiler; the massive side skirts.

And despite my opinions about the 5 wing arm alloys literally every person who has seen them as said they liked the alloys.

It is also categorically much louder! When I Rev the engine the pops and bangs are significantly louder than the R (it is a pre-facelift version I had so I don’t know how it compares to the new one.)

I think I would tint the rear windows a bit more however as they seem a bit lighter in person than they look in photos. I’m going to add some photos to the show your car thread shortly.

Nice Alloys....lol

I was a little bit and miss with the wing arm alloys on mine when I got it, but most people either liked them or loved them.
I've lowered mine now and fitted spacers and I think they look fantastic :rock:

How do you find the MMI now you've had it a couple of days?
You've got to admit though it's in the perfect placement for your hand!

lol I’m sure there are more perfectly placed things for the hand...

Any photos of the lowering? And spacers? Does that affect warranty? Cost of that work?

I also want to have convenience opening from the key but can’t get it through OBD eleven that I have...

As for the MMI - I am getting used to it. I don’t think its as easy to use as a touch screen but its getting better and also the microphones seem to work better as google has so far not failed or misunderstood me when using android auto.

Here you go
Springs are H&R
Spacers are H&R 10mm all round
Warranty wise you'd only realistically have an issue with anything related to the suspension.
Cost wise your looking at £200 for springs and another £100-£150 fitting
Spacers I had from my 8P

Attachments

• 20170701_171118-3024x2268.jpg
    20170701_171118-3024x2268.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
Whats convenience opening?

You can open the windows and sunroof from the key - so on a hot day like today - the car can air out a bit first. It is just like holding the lock key closes all the windows and roof (if you have one).

Here you go
Springs are H&R
Spacers are H&R 10mm all round
Warranty wise you'd only realistically have an issue with anything related to the suspension.
Cost wise your looking at £200 for springs and another £100-£150 fitting
Spacers I had from my 8P

Your a VCDS expert I see... How about on MY18?

You can open the windows and sunroof from the key - so on a hot day like today - the car can air out a bit first. It is just like holding the lock key closes all the windows and roof (if you have one).

Your a VCDS expert I see... How about on MY18?

Ah ok, didn't think it needed activating. I can open/close the windows using the fob.

My windows don't open - your just pressing the unlock car button right?

Yep, press and hold the unlock button. Just had a look actually and you activate it on the MMI.

Menu> Car> Press the button left of the big wheel or move the wheel to the left> Vehicle Settings> Central Locking

You then have the choice of whether to single press to unlock all doors or just the drivers door, long press to open windows, lock when driving and fold mirrors on lock.

Keen aren't you Jassy, up at this hour lol

Lol er indoors got all new bedding specifically a ****** uber tog quilt.....Can't ****** sleep with it.....Scorchio lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Tom.H
Lol er indoors got all new bedding specifically a ****** uber tog quilt.....Can't ****** sleep with it.....Scorchio lol

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: They're good like that.

I'm sat at work watching The Inbetweeners counting down the hours until home time!

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: They're good like that.

I'm sat at work watching The Inbetweeners counting down the hours until home time!

Lol its a hardship for ye...That's me up for work burdz are tweeting the dawn chorus

Reactions: Tom.H