Will rotors next size up go on without lowering?

dvalve1

Reaction score
Hi, have an a3 8pa sat on sport 17's, was toying with replacing them for rotor arm 18's will the car need dropping? I've seen many cars with aftermarket wheels that look so hideous I wish owners would have left well alone. Cheers in advance.

Hi, have an a3 8pa sat on sport 17's, was toying with replacing them for rotor arm 18's will the car need dropping? I've seen many cars with aftermarket wheels that look so hideous I wish owners would have left well alone. Cheers in advance.

Depends on exactly what look you want? I don't really understand why you would think it needs lowering unless thats the look your going for... Obviously tho, when you go up in wheel size and down in tyre size (which you will need to do) then the arch gap becomes a little more apparent... Becomes a lot more apparent with 19's...

So to answer your question: No, you don't have to lower it, bit you will need to drop the side wall size for the 18's

Look I'm after is as standard as poss. Not slammed nor the look of upgraded wheels but forgotten to lower haha

Look I'm after is as standard as poss. Not slammed nor the look of upgraded wheels but forgotten to lower haha

Standard to what though? What the rotors come on or the standard stance with them? Depends on what standard look you want compared to you own... Mostly the rotors came on sline black edition facelifts.. To get that stance you will need to drop slightly as slines sit lower than sports and S3s sit lower again than slines... So all depends on what you want.. You have to be a little more specific

Hi I'am a similar situation but I have an se model going from 16s to 17s and like you I don't want it to look hideous by being to high yet don't want it slammed I'am thinking of fitting eibach pro kit springs which are 30mm lower

Ok, cheers jack, sounds like it'll need dropping slightly. Wasn't aware the s-lines ran lower than the sport models, thought it was just the s3 that sat lower maybe as it's more obvious. How much lower does the s-lines sit over (or should I say under) the sport. Will the 30mm lower do the trick. Thank you Jacko and G19rnt. Very new to this.

Fit the wheels you fancy, then if the arch gaps look to large you can lower the car later.
Going from 2xx/45/17 rims you'll need 225/40/18 tyres to keep the rolling radius approx. the same.

Conversion table here to help you out http://www.willtheyfit.com/

On OEM 18s it might look ok on with the Sport ride height; the S-Line is only around 10mm lower. But if you fit aftermarket allows, they tend to be wider and lower offset which exposes rideheight issues a lot more.

Then there's the minfield of lowering the car, for some reason the A3 is a faff to lower, some springs just don't alter the ride height, andothers alter just the front and not the back. H&R -30mm for example raised the rear on my Sport??? The front looks perfect though, subtle lower but not obviously lowered.