My cloned S3

OliS3

Reaction score
Just driving home from work and saw an S3 with the same reg as mine WTF?

Still shocked and just about to go to the police station with the dash cam footage, had to check my phone to make sure I was making a mistake but both regs are the same

20160128 174559

You sure you didnt drive past a big mirror??

No seriously...thats bad. Could actually be a dealership mistake......they made the wrong plates for another car? It can happen!

I bought my son a Corsa for his 18th....front and rear plates were one number different to each other!

Indeed very worrying - can you zoom in on the plate to see if it has the dealership on it, if so then it could be as Kugaman1 suggests, it does happen. Either way very worrying, also check your logbook to check that you have the right plates! It's possible if the dealership have made a mistake that its your car which is "cloned" by accident. Also check both front and rear of yours are the same.

You sure you didnt drive past a big mirror??

No seriously...thats bad. Could actually be a dealership mistake......they made the wrong plates for another car? It can happen!

I bought my son a Corsa for his 18th....front and rear plates were one number different to each other!

The plate isn't a dealer plate my the looks of it. I will call audi tomorrow though

Jeez! where about in the UK ?
Are there any stolen Sepang Blue's reported on this forum?
I hope they get caught :busted cop:
200_s.gif

Reactions: Jassyo06
My father-in-law drove about for 12mths with the wrong plate, was only when the car went in for warranty work that the mistake was noticed

That would worry me as you can get parking tickets and speeding tickets

Call the Police - 999 - and follow it as far as you can. Hope this advice hasn't come too late!

it does happen, my old car when I went to pick it up had plates 'YT63' when it should of been 'YR63' was only that i noticed on arrival that they'd given me a different plate to what id insured it under.

Wonder if he has a dash cam in the back and is thinking the same ???

Seriously tho very strange hope you get to the bottom of it !

My car had KU on the plate instead of KY we only realised when doing the finance document so could be a genuine mistake.

Shocking!

Will be interesting to see what your local Police say

This happened to me when I was selling my TT and it had been advertised on Autotrader with the number plates showing. The first I knew about it was when I got a parking fine no where near where I lived. I now make a strong effort never to allow a photo of my car to be upload to the net unless it's plates are blanked out.

Reactions: Terminator x
@OliS3
If it helps, DVLA saying that number… TAX due 01 Nov 2016

You’d think the Dvla would pick it up if same plate was registered twice?

This may well be part of an organised crime group using a cloned car to commit offences. I am prosecuting such a case at the moment where a series of cloned Audi's have been used to commit armed robberies. Tell the police.

Reactions: gamegenie and Soulboy
I called 101 whilst I was following it but he was doing 70+ in 30 roads and there is no way I'm risking that. With the plate not having an Audi dealership or any dealership i'm guessing this is a clone

I called 101 whilst I was following it but he was doing 70+ in 30 roads and there is no way I'm risking that. With the plate not having an Audi dealership or any dealership i'm guessing this is a clone
Organised crime groups tend to go for performance vehicles like an S3. I would speak to the police again just so it is logged on their system. You'd be surprised how useful such information can be during a subsequent investigation.

Reactions: _Zerocool_
Organised crime groups tend to go for performance vehicles like an S3. I would speak to the police again just so it is logged on their system. You'd be surprised how useful such information can be during a subsequent investigation.

They've logged it so I guess every time I see a police car I'm going to get pulled for a while. If I'd of managed to keep a few cars back I would have followed it but thinking back even that might not have been the best idea.

They've logged it so I guess every time I see a police car I'm going to get pulled for a while. If I'd of managed to keep a few cars back I would have followed it but thinking back even that might not have been the best idea.
I agree. Stay well away and let the cops do their work. Not worth the risk.

I feel like posting pictures of my car reg on here was a stupid idea now but I guess it just makes it easier for them and it isn't hard these days to find a reg of a car of the same model and colour

One good reason not to spec 'Sepang'...Too many about....:whistle2:
Hope it gets sorted mate and it's nothing too sinister..:friends:

One good reason not to spec 'Sepang'...Too many about....:whistle2:
Hope it gets sorted mate and it's nothing too sinister..:friends:

Haha that did make me laugh. Just listening to the dash cam footage and it's amazing how in disbelief I sound

Reactions: AudiNutta and pburv
Auto Trader and car enthusiast web sites are the classic places criminals will use to research for cloned plates. I wouldn't post a car registration plate online or on Auto Trader if possible. That goes for private plates or standard plates - makes no difference to them as long as the ANPR system can only read a number plate. They will likely use one plate to drive from A to B then swop it before driving from B to C on another cloned set of plates as they know this makes ANPR detection and police investigation more difficult. I'd be surprised if its still driving around on your plate.

Really sucks, if you're worried just take the picture down. I imagine it was a shock, though the speeds you said they were doing.....unfortunately does sound quite sinister and not innocent :/

Hoping for the best outcome!

Auto Trader and car enthusiast web sites are the classic places criminals will use to research for cloned plates. I wouldn't post a car registration plate online or on Auto Trader if possible. That goes for private plates or standard plates - makes no difference to them as long as the ANPR system can only read a number plate. They will likely use one plate to drive from A to B then swop it before driving from B to C on another cloned set of plates as they know this makes ANPR detection and police investigation more difficult. I'd be surprised if its still driving around on your plate.

Cheers for the help, still getting over it.

Hopefully they ditch the plates soon then, enough Sepangs to clone I guess :)

Reactions: pburv
Really sucks, if you're worried just take the picture down. I imagine it was a shock, though the speeds you said they were doing.....unfortunately does sound quite sinister and not innocent :/

Hoping for the best outcome!

I've posted quite a few pictures and not covered the plate but I guess i'll think twice now. I'll happily post the footage, I know I gave it a bit and wasn't catching so decided to back off as I knew we'd hit traffic soon. (edit and the speed off course, forgot to clarify that lol)

That's LoS. Normal S3 drivers wouldn't do that in a city centre.

What were the chances of bumping into it?

Lucky, I hope you get it sorted soonest

Just driving home from work and saw an S3 with the same reg as mine WTF?

Still shocked and just about to go to the police station with the dash cam footage, had to check my phone to make sure I was making a mistake but both regs are the same
:sign omg:

Yeah, driving at 70-80 mph in 30 zone tells me they knew you had spotted them....

Not nice people, I would be very concerned.

What did Plod have to say?

That car is nicked, my guess is that they will ditch those plates in favour of another set. I would also guess they got your Reg as they are local to you.... So probably nothing to do with pictures on here.

Definitely a stolen car that Oli! 70 in a 30 with your reg kinda confirms it!

I lol'ed at the 'dealership mistake'

My mum had same problem in a trade in she had the other year. Pulled into fill the car up with fuel and there was her old car with the same private reg plate on filling up. Not good to see, but if they are driving like they say you are. Imagine the amount of folk who have seen there driving standards and think that's you in the future, since it's local to your area.

OMG, I presume you have carefully checked your V5? To be safe that YOU have the right number?

Have you spoken to the police and the DVLA about this as you're almost certainly going to be receiving fines of one sort or another. As it's in the same area its going to be difficult to prove it wasn't you.

You may even need to get a new number from DVLA.

A work colleague drove around for just shy of a year with the wrong plates on her car. Bought outright from new from BMW and the police pulled her over almost a year after just down the road from work in the evening. Said car description didn't match the registration description from DVLA. She pleaded with them and was able to show quite quickly the dealership must have got the wrong plates fitted!

I've checked the v5 and everything matches my car. With the way it was being driven and they weren't plates with any dealer branding on, I can't see how it's not a clone. I'll see what the dvla says tomorrow and go from there

maybe he saw your car and number plate and that's why he was doing crazy speeds