Help on Brake pad replacement

fasteddie

Reaction score
Hi, I have bought my EBC Turbo grooved discs and red stuff pads for the front. I was going to put it in and have a garage do it but thought I want to make sure the discs go on properly and everything is clean and tight. My question is around the replacing the pads, obviously they will need pushing out to allow for the new pads. so how do i do this, thanks

I see, so you remove the pads let the tool pass through one side the large lip crosses the fixed part of the caliper and the screw head pushes the piston back, is that it?

Any other advice from anyone or should this be easy?

remove the caliper you will see to indentations on the face of the piston were face of the plate does on ,the piston has to screw back in ,take the cap off the brake fluid res..as the fluid going back sometimes goes over the limit........remember clean the discs as they will have protective film on them ......Halfords will have that or factors

Cheers

make sure you takeyour brake fluid cap off so when you push the piston back fluid can rise up in side have a cloth around it as it will eat paint, and you should be able to push it back your self should be a bit stiff unless it is a wind back type then you have to turn it back.

isnt it just the rear caliper pison that need winding in ???? the fronts normally just push back in dont they..

havnt done the S yet but all the other cars ive done have been like that.

All done last night, the pistons just need pushing in. The spring clips were the first things I removed then the retaining bolts needed undoing this freed the caliper enough to remove it and the pads. Once the caliper and pads were off I was able to get the discs out, however the caliper holder needed removing to get the new discs in. So everything got copper greese (except the disc brake face ;-) ) The new EBC GD930's went on, then the holders, then the calipers with the red stuff pads - one question, I did not find any cable to plug the pad into, so i cut the cable from the pad off (only on one pad so i guess later S3's had this sensor on one side, or should they all have it?
The job was quite easy, however you will need a device of some kind to push the piston back in - i doubt you could just push it in by hand.
Oh and while your at it you get a good chance to clean th einside of your alloy wheels, all very nice now!