Spot the difference...

Cairnsy13

Reaction score
So I collected my new S3 on Friday, called my insurance yesterday to update my policy, hit a snag...can you see what the snag was? :whistle2:
Before:
20160129 164852

After:
20160202 002750

If you missed it the dealer put plates belonging to a grey Q3 2.0tdi s-line on my S3. Caused a bit of confusion with the man from my insurance to say the least.
Took it to the dealer an hour later and was met with a 'I'm actually surprised, we've never had this happen before' and they went and changed my plates over. Was offered a £100 voucher for the inconvenience caused and told they hoped this experience didn't affect my views on the brand haha.

I've seen a few guys on here getting these vouchers in the post randomly so I don't really see it as adequate compensation considering I technically wasn't insured over the weekend and the foreseeable future if I hadn't clocked on...may send an email to Audi UK and see what they say. :whip:

You might get another voucher for £100..or maybe a new car........
Upload 2016 2 2 12 12 59

Reactions: Daveotto
Lets hope they got the plate and details right on your log book! Also they must have had an insurance sent from Audi insurance (the 7 day insurance) to tax it originally? What did that say?

How the hell can dealers do this - I mean if you got the wrong plates then what plates went onto the tdi s-line I wonder???

Lets hope they got the plate and details right on your log book! Also they must have had an insurance sent from Audi insurance (the 7 day insurance) to tax it originally? What did that say?

How the hell can dealers do this - I mean if you got the wrong plates then what plates went onto the tdi s-line I wonder???
I've checked everything and it's just a case of the wrong plate being put on, all other details match up. It was taxed and insured from the details on my documents and not the plate on the car so that's all correct as well.
I suggested that to them and they said they would investigate it further, can imagine the phone call to MR Q3 now "ehh hello audi here, just to double check do you have the correct plate on your car?" :whistle2:

Reactions: pburv
The difference is night and day :)

Reactions: richinsoton, xBox, Cairnsy13 and 3 others
Absolute incompetence. I would be fuming. £100 in vouchers is laughable. The dealership should hang their heads in shame. I'm being serious here.

Reactions: Cairnsy13
Since others have got a random £100 in the post this does not seem a lot. What if you got pulled over or in a crash? Would £100 voucher help out? No!

Some workshop baboon put the plates on the wrong car, it's quite clear how it can happen.
I've worked in the trade 10+ years and only once had it happen to me and luckily I noticed before the car went out the door.

No point going berserk at Audi UK about it, you won't win yourself any favours with the dealership. Just accept it happened and all is well now, mention to the sales manager that otherwise it's been a nice experience buying the car (assuming everything else was fine) but they should owe you one because of the mistake and you wouldn't mind an RS of some description as a loaner next time you're in for a service.

Reactions: richinsoton, Wondering Soul and batch
Absolute incompetence. I would be fuming. £100 in vouchers is laughable. The dealership should hang their heads in shame. I'm being serious here.

It's an error, it's been put right. £ 100 seems about right - have you not ever picked up the wrong type of screwdriver out of the toolbox - "grease monkey" or "apprentice error" - friends son was just offered £3.74 an hour to work in service dept at an Audi dealership, not always dealing with the Albert Einsteins of this world here

In comparison......

Different if an option has been missed at several stages and can't get retrofitted - senior sales exec error that should have been picked up at several stages .

Reactions: richinsoton and Andyescos
Don't agree. Audi are a reasonably high quality marque. They need to put something in place to stop this type of error. A checklist is not rocket science. Wouldn't happen at Lexus!

Not saying it should not happen just giving a reason for why it does. I am sure it happens at other premium brand dealerships occasionally

No way....when we picked up ours, the guy pulled the sheet off and I told him it was the wrong car. They had made that mistake, they sorted it in a few minutes. They were very apologetic though but I didn't get any vouchers:(

As you said, the car was insured correctly so you were covered.

You got a voucher for the error, I mean it can happen and it did, not sure what else you expect from them?

No idea why £100 is laughable as compensation for the error.

Reactions: batch
As you said, the car was insured correctly so you were covered.

You got a voucher for the error, I mean it can happen and it did, not sure what else you expect from them?

No idea why £100 is laughable as compensation for the error.
The dealer claimed I was insured, if I was in a bump, called their insurance and gave the reg that was on my cars plate at the time it would have brought up the wrong vehicle. Therefore in my opinion if the registration doesn't match the VIN then who's to say I haven't stuck the plates on in an attempt to avoid speeding fines? It's not a slow car, thief's do it especially.

In my opinion it's laughable as it's not really compensation is it? Yes okay they've given me a voucher, but given the same voucher to another customer that's had a great experience? When I've had to make several calls to my insurance to update my information and spend 45 minutes of my time waiting in the dealership while they fix their error which they would never have spotted themselves. That's why it's laughable.

Reactions: Eigdoog
There's a lot of hypothetical in this. IMO the £100 seems fine for the error.

They said you were insured, if an accident happened, why would the incorrect reg cause that to be nullified? It would be easily explained.

Not sure what avoiding speeding fines and a thief have to do with this clerical error. Did you break any laws or gun it through speed traps while the incorrect plates were on the car?

Say you spent a total of 3 hours correcting this, then £33 a hour back to you for the error.

So if the compensation given is laughable, what would be sufficient for your what-ifs and actual time?

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and xBox
Thing is, Audi owners are sometimes complex individuals.

...... :sign wow:

Last edited:
Dealers are great ay? I recently had an insurance approved repairer (Ford dealership) supply a courtesy car with different plates on the front and rear of the car. Looked a little embarrassed when I told them, ha

I had this on collection of mine!i actually spotted it in the handover bay. They went and remade them but because the plates were stuck on (my request) they simply stuck new ones over the old foam and then on my way home they fell off anyway!

When i went to look at my RS3 this week (can't get yet) and i asked my dealer about this mistake and he did say its never happened there but mistakes do happen. He said ill make sure your plates are right!

Don't agree. Audi are a reasonably high quality marque. They need to put something in place to stop this type of error. A checklist is not rocket science. Wouldn't happen at Lexus!
Mistakes happen everywhere, regardless of the expected level of service for money paid. A work colleague of mine picked up a BMW with the wrong plates as I mentioned in another thread (£60k+ car). A friends brother bought a new SLS a year or so back from Mercedes that had the wrong plates on it, my dad picked up a Jag with the wrong plates about 4 years ago and has picked up a VW CC within the last 10 months that had the wrong plate on the front and the correct plate on the back. All ordered from new for collection from respective dealerships.

It happens. By kicking up a massive fuss your relationship with your local dealership will suffer. I would take the sound advice given in post #8 of this topic. Did the same myself a year or so ago after a small issue and it has worked to my benefit on several occasions since, certainly to more of a value than the £100 voucher you will argue for with Audi UK or the abolishment of a decent relationship with your local.

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton, edge and Cairnsy13